android
Old 12-10-2007, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by froes View Post
Thanks a lot, worked fine!
What a loss? MTP is sh**! You can't even drop a *.txt file onto the P2 with MTP???
Shine On, Frank
This reminds me of just about any protocol or way of doing things that changes and improves. Some see potential and improvement and some curse and call it bad because they are resistant to change. If you have the right setup, you can drag and drop anything to an MTP device. MTP is not the reason you can't do X or Y, it's the implementation of MTP on any given device or computer. I can certainly drop txt files on any of the MTP devices I currently own, so if the P2 can't accept that, then it's down to the way they've implemented it, or to the system you are trying to do it on.

MTP is designed specifically to be a media transfer class and provides a simple way (for the user) to transfer metadata along with content. It also allows for device control and data exchange that MSC does not and, since it operates at the file level, rather than block level, both computer and device can access the file at the same time.

MTP is already supported on all major platforms and it's only a matter of time before it becomes a full fledged USB device class, as a peer to the beloved MSC and the Video class.

For all the reasons above, manufacturers of media playback devices are eager to make use of the advantages that MTP offers them in creating devices, MSC offers NO advantage to any device more sophisticated than a flash drive, so it seems logical that support will wane. Eventually the MSC holdouts can hang out with the floppy drive users.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-11-2007, 01:20 AM

once they get the phone bluetooth answer feature... they should also get an address book section and make texting work too

Old 12-11-2007, 01:44 AM

digitalg,

You may well consider Windows to be "all major platforms", but aren't we forgetting about Mac OS and Linux? The MTP protocol has never been implemented on those operating systems.. though there are some less-than-perfect work-arounds.

At it's core MTP may provide more advanced transfer functions in theory, but as it is being used it has a very strong DRM influence, which cause a lot of problems for users of MTP-enabled devices. I do NOT consider it an advantage as is and would much prefer an MTP/UMS selectable option.

I appreciate what you have written, but UMS/MSC is a much preferable protocol and causes fewer problems in real world implementation.

Apologies for returning to the MTP vs. UMS/MSC debate which has been hashed out in these forums ad infinitum.. for more info as to the advantages/disadvantages of both protocols read here... http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...read.php?t=495

Old 12-11-2007, 02:40 PM

O... THANK YOU!!!
I can delete my new Windows installation. And Use only Linux again . many thanks!

and upload the 3 files to the p2.
Boot the P2 3 times and it's done.
I had to switch the P2 to Dutch lang. but it's fine now.
It's in UMS mode now, so I can use the P2 under Linux.
I'm a happy user again.

Old 12-11-2007, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utew View Post
digitalg,

You may well consider Windows to be "all major platforms", but aren't we forgetting about Mac OS and Linux? The MTP protocol has never been implemented on those operating systems.. though there are some less-than-perfect work-arounds.
No, not forgetting. I had read specifically of both Linux and Mac implementation in the Wikipedia article on MTP and in this blog:
http://createdigitalmusic.com/2006/0...s-us-straight/

If this is bad information, I apologize for spreading it.

I'll be sure to check out that other thread and take any arguments there. I think it's nice to have a choice, but I don't think it's polite to refer to someone else's choice as excrement.

I am an addict, and have owned a lot of DAPs over the years. As I made the transition over to the newer MTP players I've found I like the ease of use WRT library management, album art, playlists, photo thumbnails, etc. Just tired of trying to manage all that stuff myself. I'm sure it's just laziness.

Old 12-11-2007, 08:58 PM

whats the difference between UMS and MTP?

Old 12-11-2007, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zephyrr View Post
whats the difference between UMS and MTP?
Here is a link to a thread on the topic:
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...read.php?t=495

Old 12-11-2007, 09:58 PM

THANK YOU!!! :-D My P2 is now running on the Korean firmware under FULL UMS mode. I am SOO happy this worked (you do not know how much trouble I have had with getting UMS mode to work on many mp3 players). I am just coping all my MP3s to it now. Ah, I do not care if I got less Memory in this player if it works as well as it does. Thanks for posting this info and helping me get myself a new, working, MP3 player.

Old 12-12-2007, 11:10 PM

I have updated my P2 to to KR KR UMS. I have the lyrics but how can i get teh E-dictionary?

Old 12-12-2007, 11:34 PM

Just upgraded to 1.20 KR Version ^^

Old 12-13-2007, 12:01 AM

i updated mine to 1.20 KR version
but i dont have the e-dictionary either
i got the lyrics though

Old 12-13-2007, 08:18 AM

How do you add lyrics anyway?

Old 12-13-2007, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastDragon View Post
I have updated my P2 to to KR KR UMS. I have the lyrics but how can i get teh E-dictionary?
E-Dictionary is not included in the 1.20 frimware. It will be included in the Blue Wave firmware update later this month.

Old 12-14-2007, 10:18 PM

How do you register for Yepp.co.kr?

I really want to download the firmware update and change my firmware to the Korean one.

Old 12-15-2007, 09:50 AM
Samsung Moderator

you don't need to be registered
http://www.yepp.co.kr/support/suppor...1700&seq_num=1

Old 12-15-2007, 03:05 PM

I have lyrics in my songs but how do i view them on my p2?

Old 12-15-2007, 03:50 PM

i updated to the korean 1.2 version
i got a question though
what is faster?
transfering stuff with the p2 in mtp mode or in ums mode

Old 12-15-2007, 03:55 PM
Ultra Senior Member

if drag and drop, ums is faster but mtp is almost as fast in vista

Old 12-15-2007, 03:56 PM
Samsung Moderator

theorically UMS is faster as you don't need a software to transfer files but in the practice I let a P2 owner answering to you^^

Old 12-15-2007, 05:57 PM

UMS is much much faster than using SMS. I just convert my ID tags using SMS cus its automatic... then just drag and drop them in. it would take forever if i used SMS to put the songs on my player

just something i noticed... if you drag and drop pictures onto the p2 the thumbnail tends not to show up on some pics... i tried using SMS to transfer the pics and the thumbnails did show... i guess SMS adds something to the files

for lyrics viewing you need the korean firmware 1.20 and then turn the lyrics settings "on"