android
Old 11-27-2007, 01:01 AM

Default Rockbox: The Mac Issue?

Is there anyone out there with a rockbox installing guide for Mac users?

So far, all I can find is "Click install. Hope works."

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-27-2007, 01:18 AM
Ultra Senior Member

You can look on Rockbox's site: www.rockbox.org.

Old 11-28-2007, 05:02 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Brightside View Post
Is there anyone out there with a rockbox installing guide for Mac users?
http://download.rockbox.org/manual/r....html#x4-60002

Charles

Old 01-13-2008, 02:42 PM

Default ".rockbox" is hidden...

I just did a Mac install 2 days ago, and am using cpchan's build right now (that I installed yesterday). Awesome stuff! (All I need to do is figure out how make it create a playlist that's ordered by album, and I'll be a happy man.)

The installer did not work on my Macbook pro running 10.4. It installed the bootloader, but none of the .rockbox files.

In fact, unzipping doesn't even work for a manual install on mac because, by default, the Mac finder hides all "." files.

So, I used a little freeware/nagware program called "invisibles" which shows all "." files. (There's also one called Toggler apparently. I've never used it since Invisibles works great every time.)

The auto-installer program still didn't work. (It said it did, but it didn't.) But, I was able to drag and drop the files manually. No problem.

If someone knows how I can suggest this to the authors of the Rockbox help file/manual, or even if we can figure out a way to patch the auto install program to work right on a Mac (or if I was doing something wrong), then please let me know.

Thanks,

Jon

Old 02-16-2008, 07:30 PM

I can verify that your problem with the mac version of the rbutilqt.app program doesn't work completely on my mac running leopard. Like you, it installed the bootloader fine, but nothing else - but I was able to do the rest manually. Some other ideas -

I have winxp running in vmware/s fusion, and the win version of rbutilqt works fine in it. Handy for installing themes and stuff.

For viewing the hidden files on a mac, I use 2 methods - mostly I use pathfinder, which is a really excellent file utility I couldn't live without - it shows all the files. Another method I used to use before I used pathfinder is a quick tip I found on another rockbox forum -

for doing the rockbox installation - the os hides things that start with a period, so:
You could also type this into the terminal:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles -bool YES

This shows all the files/folders that begin with a period. You will have to restart Finder for it to take effect - use force quit in the apple menu to do this. To reverse it, just type in the same thing but replace yes with no.

There's a thread on the rockbox forums looking for help with the rbutilqt project - maybe some intrepid mac programmer type could step in and help out?