android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > SanDisk Sansa > Sansa Clip / Clip+ / Clip Zip

Old 12-24-2008, 05:14 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike45450 View Post
Do I need to do all updates one after another, or can I jump straight from 01.01.18 to 01.01.30? And since my firmware right now is 01.01.18f, I can just change the firmware filename to f right?
go right to .30, yes.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-05-2009, 04:02 PM

I am computer savvy, but my Clip seemed to be DOA, tried to hook it up to the Laptop in MSC mode just in case, no good, then ran the updater program as there was nothing to lose and it came to life! It is a V1, and the .30 took. This was a reconditioned one, wonder if whatever was the problem before is what I experienced?
Anywho, it does Flac and the USB mode is now setable via the menu, I love it so far

Old 01-05-2009, 10:48 PM

I wish someone had told me I would have to redo all my radio station presets after a firmware upgrade.

Old 03-02-2009, 06:09 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Added x.x.32 downloads to the first post.

Old 03-06-2009, 08:56 PM

I anticipate getting a clip soon, thanks for doing the legwork and putting this together

Old 04-15-2009, 04:27 AM

Hi everybody, I got link for this forum and decided to join in. Otherwise, Im from Serbia... Sorry for my bad english... Anyway, I bought black Sansa Clip 1Gb few days ago and its just great. Battery seems to be ok, and thats only thing that I was worried about. Everything elsse is just fine. Now, I heard about updateing frimware, and if I can improve mi clip with that, why not. My current frimware is V02.01.09. Sansa updater, that I got on cd with clip, founded frimware version 02.01.32 avaiable for my player. My question for you is, should I update this frimware? Im afraid that I can make things worse than before... Or can you suggest some other frimware, witch will be better than this one? And can I get louder output with some other frimware? Thanks for any answer, Im grateful...

Old 04-15-2009, 01:34 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Welcome, Srki, and your English is just great!

As to the firmware, the latest is just fine and improves on the older, with further player enhancements and bug fixes (you can check out the firmware revision thread here to see the changes from version to version). Well worth it to get it (and it is safe).

As to volume, I don't know what region version you have right now, but the EU region version has a volume limiter, to comply with EU safety requirements; the U.S. and other region versions don't mandate a volume limitation and instead have this as an option under Settings. And so you may want to switch to one of those other versions, in the firmware set-up process.

And by the way: if you want a nifty and small amplifier that could help with the volume some (maybe a 10-20% bump in volume), the FiiO E5 is great, and economical (around or under US$20, including international shipping). And more than simply boosting sound, it can boost the sound quality as well, depending on your headphones--I note a richer and slightly clearer sound with it. The E5 also has its own volume control, optional bass enhancement switch, rechargeable battery, and clip. In the end, a nice companion for the Clip (or other player). Available from mp4nation.net and dealextreme.com in Hong Kong, as well as eBay and other sources. (MP4 Nation is having a special on it right now and it may have a coupon code for it as well (I believe there's at least a code for %-off on player accessories; there also may be an E5-specific offer), bringing the price down further; check in the MP4 Nation forums--there is a special/coupons thread or 2. You also can get a small store credit just for contributing to the forum--also stated in one of the threads.)

Old 04-20-2009, 07:20 AM

Just wanted to say thanks for this. It's perfect since the updater from Sansa's site can only be used on Windows and not Mac.

Old 05-02-2009, 11:05 PM

hi guys

i just bought a 2 gig clip (red for mom on mothers day ) and it is a v.2 with the V02.01.16A firmware installed. i unboxed it to charge it and add music so it will be ready to roll come Mothers Day right out of the box, but did not update the firmware. silly me

my question is do i need to, and if recommended do i simply "drag and drop" the new firmware like i do with my Fuze? also, since i already loaded it up with music (MSC mode) will i have to format at any point to make the new firmware stable / max effective? i'd rather not if i don't have to

mom will only be using this as a simple device. she will listen to albums, FM radio, and maybe an audiobook / recording. she may also use the voice recorder from time to time

so is the installed firmware okay or should i change it?

thanks guys

oh...this is a cool little device btw. very impressed. will be getting one for myself some time, most likely

Old 05-03-2009, 09:17 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Always good to have the latest firmware, with bug fixes and enhancements. Easy to do--here's the Sansa link. http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/boar...hread.id=15109 It will not erase your music. Enjoy!

Old 05-16-2009, 06:09 PM

dj1343:
Quote:
To upgrade unit directly without using Sansa Updater:
- Obtain firmware zip file and extract it from the link above (i.e., m300a.bin)
- Using above method, Change Sansa Clip to MSC mode and connect to PC with a USB cable
- Copy "m300a.bin" file to root directory of the Sansa drive (e.g., E:\)
- Disconnect Sansa USB cable
(Upgrade process begins, takes less than a minute)
- When display says upgrade complete,
turn off and turn back on
I take it, for those whose computers are doing Vista's usual trick of being 'helpful' and therefore have "Computer\Sansa Clip 8GB\Internal Memory\Music etc" instead of handy drive letters, that the firmware gets copied to "Internal Memory" (on the same level as the Music, Audiobook, Playlists etc. folders)? It doesn't want to copy onto "Sansa Clip 8GB" (same level as "Internal Memory"), so I assume the next level in is where it's to go.
Having done that, there was no obvious sign of running the update, but now the Clip's screen's blacked out. I'll check if that's it worked, or if I've just crashed a player after only a week!

EDIT: I'm daft, I should have noticed that there was more than one page! Thanks Mikerman, for answering the question before it was asked. Sorted now, v2...32f showing as current firmware on the player.

Last edited by AlexExArdrossan; 05-16-2009 at 06:20 PM.

Old 05-16-2009, 06:21 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Your Clip is in MTP mode, set it to MSC for any upgrade.

Old 05-16-2009, 06:52 PM

Thanks dkft. It was still set to Auto Detect when I connected it in, so presumably Vista prefers MTP. When I started it up again, it had switched to MSC automatically, and having re-connected it again it's looking like a 'normal' external drive. MSC doesn't seem to know it's got music on it (it's definitely still there on the player). I take it that's just the change of mode, so clearing memory in MTP then copying back in MSC should have the music show up in MSC?

EDIT: Trying that shunt now. It suddenly makes you realise how much you've put on the drive when you see how long it takes to copy (from clip to separate folder, save trying to remember what was on there)!

Last edited by AlexExArdrossan; 05-16-2009 at 07:00 PM.

Old 05-16-2009, 06:57 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The MSC vs. MTP implementation on Sansa players is one of the most idiotic I've seen so far. The music is there, but the two modes don't see the music that's been transferred with the other mode. So if you upload music in MTP mode, MSC doesn't see it, and vice versa. Best you connect once again in MTP, delete everything, start over, and stick with MSC mode from now on.

Old 05-16-2009, 07:08 PM

I assumed that was the case. Just got to wait another 6 minutes for it to copy off MTP, then delete, disconnect, change, reconnect, and another 10 or 15 minutes for everything to go on to MSC. Sometimes a lot of storage is less of an advantage!

Old 06-06-2009, 11:48 AM

I just upgraded my 4 GB Clip from version 01.01.18 to 01.01.32 via my Vista laptop using these instructions. Worked great and fast with one minor annoyance - it switched the Clip back to Auto Detect mode after the upgrade and of course Vista will pick MTP.

Old 06-06-2009, 11:51 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRob View Post
I just upgraded my 4 GB Clip from version 01.01.18 to 01.01.32 via my Vista laptop using these instructions. Worked great and fast with one minor annoyance - it switched the Clip back to Auto Detect mode after the upgrade and of course Vista will pick MTP.
It will do that after every update.....just remember it in the future and switch back, and you'll be fine.

Old 06-06-2009, 11:52 AM
ABI Invaluable

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRob View Post
That always happens when you upgrade the OF, now that you are aware, just change it in the settings before you connect again.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 06-06-2009, 11:55 AM
Ultra Senior Member

It won't do it again after 1.1.32... every time I install a new Rockbox bootloader via 1.1.32 firmware it keeps the MSC setting - finally.

Old 06-06-2009, 11:59 AM
ABI Invaluable

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
It won't do it again after 1.1.32... every time I install a new Rockbox bootloader via 1.1.32 firmware it keeps the MSC setting - finally.
Your right, I forgot :/

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Tags
clip, download, firmware, sandisk, sansa, sansa clip