android
Old 11-25-2007, 10:48 PM

Default Questions about Audible navigation

Can the D2 "fast forward" and "rewind" Audible content? That is, can I go a few seconds forward or a few seconds back when listening to Audible books?

I presume you can also traverse the built-in Audible chapter marks, forward and back?

Thanks for any information.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-26-2007, 09:47 PM

Yes it does ff and rw in seconds; I'm new to this, but I think you have to choose whether to ff in seconds or chapters as the same key does both. ( I think)

Old 11-28-2007, 09:38 AM

Fast forward and rewind work just fine with Audible content. Unfortunately the resume is broken when you use Audible books. I called Cowon support and reported it. The tech tried it and got the same result. He couldn't tell me that they would fix it but he sounded like he expected them to.

Bookmarks work just fine so Audible books can still be used with the D2. It's only the resume that fails.

Barry

Old 11-29-2007, 04:30 PM

Hmm. I don't have any problem with resume. I use NetLibrary which has one monster file. I usually set a bookmark in case I want to listen to music or something else between listening to the book, but I often just start it from where I turned it off without using the bookmark. Maybe it's a problem with not all firmware versions?

Old 11-29-2007, 05:56 PM

The problem with resume is just with files from Audible.com. NetLibrary files aren't the same thing.

Barry

Old 11-29-2007, 07:53 PM

Ah, Gotcha

Old 01-17-2008, 10:52 PM

Default Resume does too work.

My D2 came today. Uploading the firmware so that it would accept Audible worked as the direction said it would. Recognition of the unit by Audible worked as well. Books downloaded as they should. (Being experienced with audible.com helped.) AND, contrary to the reviews that I read that said that it would not pause and pick up where it left off, I am finding that this works fine as well. (If you leave this book and come back to it at a later point, it may not be book marked but that is not a show stopper. You can always fast forward to where you left off and the inherent audible break points work as they should). All in all, this unit should work great for audible books. It may not be as straighforward as a Rio Carbon or an iRiver (I have had multiples of both), but Rio's are no longer manufactured and iRivers are not supported by the manufacturer. (Don't get me started on that issue.) For great sound qualtiy and superb battery life, I will gladly give up a bit of blind operation.

Old 01-18-2008, 06:19 AM

Which FW are you using?

Old 01-19-2008, 04:19 PM

Default D2 with audbile books

It is FW 2.51. And to the question of fast forward or reverse by seconds or chapters, it works like this. Tapping fast forward or reverse moves it forward or back by a chapter (or by however audible has programmed in the breaks). Holding it down moves it by time forward or back. It will start our slowly moving only a few seconds at a time. but as you continue to hold it down it will accelerate in the direction indicated.

I kind of miss the book jackets displaying or the book summary, both of which are available on an iRiver clix. On the other hand, I am really appreciating the battery life and I am finding book operation even with the touch screen to be pretty straightforward. One toy I did buy was an attachment that resides between the headphones and the unit that allows you to adjust volume. That way, it can be locked down in a case but you can still change the volume.

By the way, to get it to pause and not lose the way, don't just turn it off. Change if from Play to Pause first.

Old 01-19-2008, 11:51 PM

One more option to change where you are in the book - you can tap along the time line and it will jump to that point.