android
Old 12-16-2008, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
I'm extremely happy that Rockbox for the Clip is on a steady way to becoming stable and useful, and that we don't have to rely on Sandisk anymore.

We're getting it all - and then some, thanks to the (at least) 453 people involved in Rockbox, who make this all possible.

So basically, I lost all interest in Sandisk's firmware updates, since they would never satisfy my needs anyway.
Woah, that is one nice screenshot. That's one more reason for me to decide for the clip and I can't wait to test it.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-14-2009, 06:29 AM

Default Feature Requests

1. Micro SD slot

2. Stop watch. (why could they not add this as part of a firmware update?)

The reason I like the clip is because fo the generic USB plug. When you travel you just don't want to have multiple proprietary cables sorry "fuze". San Disk Sansa should consider a proprietary to generic USB dongle.

3. even thinner clip body.

4. customer switchable battery.

Old 01-15-2009, 01:13 AM

Quote:
I'm extremely happy that Rockbox for the Clip is on a steady way to becoming stable and useful, and that we don't have to rely on Sandisk anymore.

We're getting it all - and then some, thanks to the (at least) 453 people involved in Rockbox, who make this all possible.

For me, I'm getting pan/balance, file/folder browsing, gapless, last.fm scrobbling, a true parametric EQ, crossfeed, a clock, and MPC support. That's more than I could ever wish for from Sandisk.

So basically, I lost all interest in Sandisk's firmware updates, since they would never satisfy my needs anyway.
Great choice in music right there!

Old 01-22-2009, 06:16 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I think you should close this thread...
As Rockbox is coming soon

BTW, dfkt, you are a bad man

My Last.fm

Old 01-22-2009, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.z View Post
I think you should close this thread...
As Rockbox is coming soon
Nice try, but I don't think so.

This thread is "Sansa Clip feature request list" -- not "Rockbox on Clip request queue."

There are some of us who do NOT really like Rockbox all that much, but DO prefer the Sansa interface.

To tell US to basically FOAD, because YOU are getting what YOU want -- and therefore, there's NO reason for US to request upgrades to the firmware WE want... juvenile. That is the kindest word I can think of for that sort of attitude.

"Hey, Windows has driver support for my printer and monitor! Might as well close this thread!" Any guesses as to that would fare -- in a Linux feature-request thread.

If they DO close this thread, I will lose a LOT of respect for them.

Old 01-22-2009, 06:50 AM

Nobody's going to close this thread... sorry for the Rockbox deviation I started, I was (and still am) pretty excited what it can do for my personal needs.

Back on topic, Sansa original firmware feature requests.

Old 01-22-2009, 07:22 AM

Thanks. I am not a Rockbox-hater -- I have it on one player (an e260) and use it on occasion, but for everyday use I do prefer the native firmware -- especially on the tiny, crude (two-tone monochrome) LED display on the Clip.

Old 01-24-2009, 01:12 PM

Other people have posted these ideas, I just want to throw in my 2 cents on what's important to me, in priority order.

The clip is fantastic as it is, but with software could do even more.

1. File/Folder navigation

2. Adjustable FF/REW speed (I'd make if faster for audiobooks)

3. Time remaining display option

4. Clock. I do not wear a watch and depend on cell phones other gadgets for the time.

5. Because of the limited OLED lifespan, option to not turn on the display for volume changes.

6. Better playlist support, either on-the-fly or generated by winamp

7. Middle button makes the display brighter while it's beig held down.

8. Browse by composer (for Classical music).

9. Countdown timer and stopwatch.

10. Add a whole album to the now playing queue

11. Option to turn off the blue circle, it's annoying at night.

12. Gapless

13. AAC playback

14. File details display (MP3 rate, encoder, genre, composer etc.)

Old 01-28-2009, 06:45 PM

Default Gapless gapless gapless!!

1. Gapless
Please!! I just bought one of these, I absolutely love it to bits except for the fade in/out it between tracks. I beleive that there are difficluties with doing gapless with mp3, but not for FLAC/WAV surely?
(p.s. my first post, hi all )

Last edited by nicky0; 01-28-2009 at 07:02 PM.

Old 01-28-2009, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicky0 View Post
1. Gapless.
1. Rockbox.

(Give it some time.)

Old 01-28-2009, 07:15 PM

Quote:
1. Rockbox.

(Give it some time.)
Cool ... have just been scrolling around and only just saw up your Rockbox post earlier in the thread.
I am an embedded software developer by trade so I am thinking maybe I could contribute to this project. Do you need people are are you doing just fine with the folks you have? I will have a look around on the rockbox site and see what's what. Sorry going off-topic here...

Old 01-28-2009, 07:19 PM

Rockbox developers are always happy about new members, your contribution would certainly be welcome.

Check here: http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/vie...For_Developers

And for instant communication join irc.freenode.net - #rockbox

Old 01-30-2009, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Does the playback time runs 'normal' using rockbox? I have -1sec a minute using sandisk firmware. It drives me crazy.

Old 01-30-2009, 05:56 PM

Good thing I read the other thread you posted, otherwise i would have no idea what you're talking about...

It's too early to do audio tests on Rockbox, it's too unstable as of yet. I don't usually use FLAC on my players, it wastes too much space compared to LAME -v0 and sounds no better to my ears. Once Rockbox audio is stable I can test it for you.

Old 01-30-2009, 06:04 PM

Yes, FLAC is a waste of space in this case. But unfortunately, I have the same issue with ogg encoded files. The easiest test would be to just play anything and watch the time passing by on the clip and on your watch, computer clock etc. After around 1 minute there might be a 1 second difference (as in my case), after 2 minutes 2 seconds ands so on.
I now know, using PFE will hurt even more.

Old 02-03-2009, 02:35 PM

As for me, I would like to see just some small amount of features (maybe it is all possible with Rockbox, I don't know):
(1) Gapless playback =)
(2) Ability to add whole albums, artists etc to the current playlist.
(3) Custom tags! To be able to browse by composer or by performer or by something else. Browsing by composer would be just amazingly great for classical music with many performances of the same music by different musicians whom I do not always manage to remember =)

I know exactly (1) is supported in Rockbox, and what about other options?

Old 02-03-2009, 03:00 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilrogg View Post
As for me, I would like to see just some small amount of features (maybe it is all possible with Rockbox, I don't know):
(1) Gapless playback =)
(2) Ability to add whole albums, artists etc to the current playlist.
(3) Custom tags! To be able to browse by composer or by performer or by something else. Browsing by composer would be just amazingly great for classical music with many performances of the same music by different musicians whom I do not always manage to remember =)

I know exactly (1) is supported in Rockbox, and what about other options?
I believe that your number 2 is coming.....sort of. The most recent Fuze update allowed whole album/artist to be added to the GoList, and I'm pretty sure that is coming for the Clip in the next firmware update.

As far as your number 3...the developers are looking at folder vs.tag-based browsing, but I don't believe they have made a definitive pronouncement on when it will take place. It will make a lot of people happy if it does happen though

Old 02-03-2009, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
I believe that your number 2 is coming.....sort of. The most recent Fuze update allowed whole album/artist to be added to the GoList, and I'm pretty sure that is coming for the Clip in the next firmware update.

As far as your number 3...the developers are looking at folder vs.tag-based browsing, but I don't believe they have made a definitive pronouncement on when it will take place. It will make a lot of people happy if it does happen though
That is good news indeed! So I suppose the next update will have this feature, the firmware for both players seems to be developed similarly.

Personally I like tag-based browsing very much. On my PC I have all the music organized by tags (some of those are custom and invented by me, mostly for classical music ) and I browse it with powerful foobar2000 filters and I always spend some time with new music to tag it properly, that's why I would love to see good tag-based browsing implementation in my DAP

Old 02-03-2009, 03:38 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilrogg View Post
That is good news indeed! So I suppose the next update will have this feature, the firmware for both players seems to be developed similarly.

Personally I like tag-based browsing very much. On my PC I have all the music organized by tags (some of those are custom and invented by me, mostly for classical music ) and I browse it with powerful foobar2000 filters and I always spend some time with new music to tag it properly, that's why I would love to see good tag-based browsing implementation in my DAP
I've never had a player without tag navigation, so I have no basis for comparison of it vs. folders. I'm looking forward to being able to compare and contrast though.

Old 02-03-2009, 03:58 PM

Feature requests..?

Yeah a colored screen that plays video...wait that's my Fuze.
Sansa e260v1 Rockboxed 8GB microsdhc
Sansa Fuze 8GB 16GB microSDHC

Tags
feature request, firmware, sansa clip, wish list