android
Old 11-24-2007, 06:15 AM

Default Transferring problems

Hey. I bought a Sony NWZ-S618F a couple of days ago but I have a problem with it. When I'm transferring songs via drag 'n' drop or windows media player the walkman always stops while tranferring. It mostly happens after maybe 30-50 songs(?) and then it says that the player doesn't answer or is unplugged. Do any of you know what to do? Can I fix the problem myself or do I have to call the retailer where I bought it?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-24-2007, 07:30 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Have you tested it in another PC? I would do this to dismiss USB problems in your computer: you could burn a bunch of your MP3's to CD and try syncing them from the other computer. If it syncs correctly you may have a hardware or software problem in your PC preventing the player from keeping docked.

By the way, is there any firmware update available for your player? If so, have you updated your player yet?

Old 11-24-2007, 10:43 AM

I agree with Almoxil's USB related diagnosis... You might also want to try using a different USB port on your computer. The ones in the back of a desktop PC tend to be more stable than the USB ports on the front. Sometimes, a USB hub can give you problems too.

I own an A810 and haven't had any issues with transfers via WMP 11. Also, there are no firmware updates yet.

Hope this helps!

Old 11-24-2007, 11:21 AM

I would agree, this isn't the walkman's fault, it has to be either some software glitch or usb problems.

I've transfer 120 songs in one go with no issues and done this 4 times in a row when I was updating cover art. I also use the USB port on the front of my pc and never had problems with transfer always works fine. The speed at the front for drag and drop is USB 2.0.

If you test it on another pc and the same thing occurs, return it to the store for a new one.

Old 11-24-2007, 11:27 AM

I think you are right. I tried it on a friend's computer and it worked just fine. Besides my pc isn't the best anymore and there are a lot of problems with it. Good to know that I don't have to get a new mp3.
Thanks for the help all 3 of you

Old 11-24-2007, 03:21 PM

Frozty:

I am experiencing the same problem and it gets really anoying. My computer is not old, in fact it is above average. So I don't know how to solve this problem. Is there a chance that with new firmware this problem gets solved?

Old 11-24-2007, 09:27 PM

There is nothing wrong with the firmware, it there was a lot more people would have this problem, so far the 2 people in this thread are the only ones who I have seen with this situation. Plus Frozty just mentioned that it was his pc.

transferring of files have nothing to do with the speed of the pc or whatever, it is to due with usb drivers and how you connect your player to the pc, avoud any usb hubs, or connecting through a mouse or whatever, stick to the back of the pc or the front.

Emfa, please try the player on another pc, maybe at a friends house? I really don't think it's the player's firmware. Have you tried different usb ports?

Old 02-02-2008, 04:37 PM

I hate digging up old threads, but I thought this information was worth sharing.

So, I'm number 3. Yay.

Copy and paste of my own post regarding the same problem at head-fi:
Quote:
Originally Posted by huhwhat
I thought it was Vista too, since file transfers on my XP Pro SP2 laptops were fine. But after a sleepless night trying to pin down the source of the problem, I discovered that, for once, Vista isn't the culprit.

Problem solved, for now, but I'm hoping for ever.

My guess is that I'm having issues with my frontal USB ports. Might be power related, although I don't know how that could be when all three ports are drawing power directly from the mobo.

There's one USB port that will always result in file transfer errors. File transfer must be done with the other two, and even then, I must make sure that there are no more than two devices (in my case, one mouse + one NWZ-A818) connected on the three available ports.

The Sony is a finicky player, I think, since my 2 GB Sansa Clip and iPod 5G 30GB works just fine (file transfer, recharging etc) on all three USB ports in the front.

Old 02-02-2008, 11:11 PM

If it works on another PC then the issue is with your PC. Maybe the player cable does not sit correctly in the USB Slot? Or the USB slot is going bad and making your player lose sync?

Sony NWZ-A728B, Sony NWZ-A816, iPod Shuffle 1GB