android
Old 11-14-2007, 11:06 AM

Default For anyone wondering about the "volume normal/high" setting...

I was wondering what the "volume normal/high" setting in the Clip's option menu actually does, since I heard no difference at reasonable volume settings, and the Clip manual is more than useless:

Quote:
Volume
1. Press Menu button to return to the Main Menu.
2. Move down to Settings and select it.
3. Select Volume.
4. Highlight the desired volume settings then press Select button.
Well, duh! But what does it do?

Ok, so I attached my Sennheiser 300 Ohm phones to the Clip, and tested some more at very high volume settings.

This "normal/high" setting is more or less a volume limiter, but it only starts working at insanely high volume settings, so it's rather useless. If you would listen with standard IEMs at the highest volume on the "normal" setting, you would go deaf instantly.

With "normal volume", there's 21 steps on the volume scale, with the "high" setting there's 29 steps, it can go 8 steps louder than the normal setting.

FWIW, the volume scale on the Clip isn't very well weighted. I can listen to volume 1 (the lowest setting) in quiet surroundings easily. This lowest volume setting is much too loud for using the Clip in bed, while sleeping. I wish Sandisk implemented a finer stepped volume scale, or would weigh the steps differently (logarithmically would be nice).

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-14-2007, 06:29 PM

reply here, they will read it

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/boar...&thread.id=216
http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/boar...&thread.id=155

Old 11-14-2007, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyz86 View Post
And what makes you think they don't read it here? As I can attest they do...

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 11-23-2007, 06:35 AM

Is there a volume limit option in the Clip? Something similar to Sony's AVLS to use with IEM-s?

Old 11-23-2007, 06:54 AM

What I said in the first post. That's all there is, no other kind of limiter available.

Old 11-23-2007, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macilaci457 View Post
Is there a volume limit option in the Clip? Something similar to Sony's AVLS to use with IEM-s?
No, as dfkt already said, but if you’re looking for a small player w/volume limit capability, you should take a look at the Zen Stone, the software you download from their site can limit the high end of volume on the stone and even pass word protect it.

Old 11-24-2007, 08:28 AM

The "high" volume setting might be intended for sending the Clip's output to another device, as opposed to earphones for splitting eardrums.

Old 01-25-2008, 01:13 PM

Good news, the volume scale has been fixed in FW 1.01.20. Thank you SanDisk!

The "high" setting has now 40 steps, the "normal" setting has 32.

Old 11-23-2008, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
Good news, the volume scale has been fixed in FW 1.01.20. Thank you SanDisk!

The "high" setting has now 40 steps, the "normal" setting has 32.
Hi dfkt<O</O
<O</O

I'm using a 4gb clip with a usb charger and a mini to mini into a portable amp (also on a charger) and then mini to RCA into my office stereo.

I find that it distorts on some songs at anything higher than 4 clicks down from the high setting, (amp at <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com</st1:time>1 o'clock to bring it up to the line level of my CD player). I'm using predominately flac and 320 MP3s.

Is this consistent with your experience?<O</O
<O</O

Also, what do you feel the equivalent volume setting would be to approach a line out?<O</O
<O</O

Thanks<O</O
<O</O

axon<O</O

Old 11-23-2008, 08:18 AM

You are double-amping the signal (actually triple, since the Clip also amplifies). This is always bad, prone to introduce distortions and to reduce sound quality. If you ditch the portable amp in between your Clip and Hifi set it should sound better.

I never really used the Clip connected to an amp, but I measured it with RMAA at highest volume level, and the results were very good: http://rmaa.elektrokrishna.com/Compa...d2-x5-clip.htm - no distortions to be found.

The Clip's EQ of course distorts as well, it's rather bad quality. I always leave it off.

Old 11-23-2008, 09:01 AM

I’ve tested our clip on the JVC kaboom and our home Marantz, sounds great! Never tried the double amp’in, but makes sense that it wouldn’t sound good or distort.

Old 11-23-2008, 10:48 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I've used both Clip and Fuze into my home system.....volume roughly 85%, EQ off, works like a charm

Old 11-23-2008, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
You are double-amping the signal (actually triple, since the Clip also amplifies). This is always bad, prone to introduce distortions and to reduce sound quality. If you ditch the portable amp in between your Clip and Hifi set it should sound better.

I never really used the Clip connected to an amp, but I measured it with RMAA at highest volume level, and the results were very good: http://rmaa.elektrokrishna.com/Compa...d2-x5-clip.htm - no distortions to be found.

The Clip's EQ of course distorts as well, it's rather bad quality. I always leave it off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
I’ve tested our clip on the JVC kaboom and our home Marantz, sounds great! Never tried the double amp’in, but makes sense that it wouldn’t sound good or distort.

My impression was that it actually sounds better "pre-amp'd" than it does on its own, when connected to a stereo.... maybe because of its anemic line level.... but I'll try it the other way and let you know.

How many clicks down from the Hi setting would you recommend to approximate a "line out" level, or do you think I can get away with full volume without any distortion..... (I don't use eq)

Another question.... do you think the "normal" level represents attenuation and the "Hi" level amplification?

axon

Old 11-24-2008, 07:00 AM

Since doing the firmware upgrade it seems that the min vol is fixed to a level that is low enough in quiet situations. One click above min is very comfortable and of course you can always increase. Bob L

Old 12-26-2011, 09:14 AM

This solved the problem for me: http://notetomys11.wordpress.com/201...nsa-clip-plus/

On Sansa Clip Zip (and related devices) Go to:
1. Settings > System Settings > Restore > Click [Yes].
2. Choose your language and set your region to "Rest of the World".

Now the volume restrictions won't apply, and you can increase the volume to a louder level ^^