android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Sony Walkman

Old 01-21-2008, 11:57 AM

Whether it's good for 500 or 1000 charges surely really isn't the point. The issue is that getting the battery replaced may cost more than the original unit, which is crazy. I don't go along with the argument that it would be ready for replacement after 2 or 3 years so it doesn't matter. I'm only just looking to move to MP3 players after using a mini-disc player for many years. I can't be the only person who isn't a techno-geek requiring the latest of everything. All I want is a piece of kit that stores enough files, is easy to use and has good battery life. I don't want to watch video on a 2 inch screen thanks I don't want a camera in my phone either, but that's for a different forum.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-29-2008, 04:14 AM

well the thing is the cost of a player is mostly about the memory cost these days. there is a point to the argument that a players battery won't be worth replacing after a few years. already we are at 32gb flash units. in 2-3 years perhaps 100gb. your player will probably be worthless by that time. the minus of course is you are stuck with a semi disposable unit. the plus side is the battery capacity and form factor is something that AA's couldn't match. and over the life of the unit it would have gone through hundreds of AA battery equivalents which would have cost a decent amount themselves with more hassle. we are in a transitional period where flash players still don't have enough capacity to hold large music collections at high bitrate. so most players are rather imperfect and replacement as capacity inevitably grows is a given. when players have massive flash capacity then i think people will demand replaceable batteries.

just don't bake the unit in a car or in the sun. that is bad for battery longevity...many ipod complainers do poor things like that. don't let it drain all the way then leave it like that for a long time. the controller actually stops the unit before the battery goes too low to prevent damage, but if you leave it as is without charging self discharge will continue and damage capacity. deep discharge is more wearing than small discharges then recharge, which is not hard when we are talking 30+ hour charge life these days.

as for minidisc, well this new stuff beats the pants off minidisc minidisc was inconvenient in every way possible.

Old 07-01-2008, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emfa View Post
Lets hope that the 500 charge cycle is wrong. It should be around 1000. If someone can confirm that it its 500 charges, then owners: switch to smart charges (upload songs only when fully discharged to take full advantage on the charge cycle). It is a way to extend the battery for those who use their walkman a lot.

Maybe many of you are already doing this, but for the ones that aren't follow my advice.
These are LiIon batteries not NiCad. You should charge them often not deep cycle them. Please research before offering advice of this sort.

A good site to learn about this battery chemistry and how to care for it is here:
http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm

Sorry to jump in late, but I felt like I needed to offer some better advice on prolonging the life of these batteries.

Old 07-02-2008, 12:32 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulinho View Post
500 charges is a lot,what are you talking aboat?if you listen to it for 35 hours and charge it after that ,thats aboat 2 years(not counting the charge time),so that means it could play for 2 yers 24/7(if you kepp it on from the day of the purchase to the day the battery dies)-that is some crazy battery life,bu tif you use it like a normal person,it will live 12-15 years(not enough?)
True, but take the nature of li-ion li-polymer batteries, even when they aren't under a load, they still degrade no matter what, just the way the chemistry naturally is...
Samsung Galaxy tab 2 7.0
Motorola Droid razr m

Old 07-02-2008, 07:41 AM

plus i don't think its that after 500 u need a new one, its where it reaches 80% capacity
if its like the apple battery...