android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Sony Walkman

Old 11-13-2007, 11:05 PM

Default Major battery flaw (only 500 charge cycles)

It is a major flaw to me, as it was revealed to me that after around 500 recharges of the battery that you need a new battery, well guess what, you will have to send it to Sony, and if it is out of warranty it will cot at least $100 to have a new battery put in, and I paid $100 for the unit, is there something wrong with this picture? The bummer is I really like this unit a lot, so I might just buy another one as back up and just live with expensive battery habit as the unit has a lot of good features and the other Mp3 players are no cheaper, so either way MP3 players are expensive.

Last edited by MUSIC COLLECTOR; 11-13-2007 at 11:33 PM. Reason: added content.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-14-2007, 01:58 AM
Visiting troll from Pocketables

This is an issue with a lot of players... A lot otf people switch to newer players before it becomes an issue, but of course its wrong of them to charge that much. WWhat player is it?

Old 11-14-2007, 06:24 AM

Uh... that's true of the majority of DAPs, including the Ipod. It sucks, but it's a fact of life unless you want to restrict yourself to the few players that have removable batteries or support AAAs.

Old 11-14-2007, 10:22 AM

I have the NWZ-S615F. I love this little unit all except for the expensive battery replacement, that will suck big time. I can't bereave how SONY can charge so much. I am hoping the lady didn't know what she was talking about.

Old 11-14-2007, 10:50 AM

how can you possibly have charged that thing so much? thats about 2 times a day since it was released

Old 11-14-2007, 01:30 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cptnodegard View Post
how can you possibly have charged that thing so much? thats about 2 times a day since it was released
I believe the OP meant the cost of battery replacement.

Charles

Old 11-14-2007, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpchan View Post
I believe the OP meant the cost of battery replacement.

Charles
Yeah just read that he hadnt actually used it that much. Oh well, 33 hours battery for music... say you use it 20 hours per charge because you tinker around and watch video. Thats 10000 hours for the 500 charges, which is using it 10 hours a day for 3 years. If you use it that much, then first of all you need a life, and second of all it would be worth chaning players more often than every three years :P

Old 11-14-2007, 01:44 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

With all due respects I think this thread is pointless. All batteries have a life cycle and most of them are built into players. When purchasing time comes along this is one of the details to think about before purchasing a player.

Old 11-14-2007, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musichound View Post
With all due respects I think this thread is pointless. All batteries have a life cycle and most of them are built into players. When purchasing time comes along this is one of the details to think about before purchasing a player.

They do have life cycles, true but the cost of replacement is the issue, but I talked to SONY and they can't confirm the 500 charge cycle limit, they think it is a lot higher.

Old 11-14-2007, 02:16 PM

Lets hope that the 500 charge cycle is wrong. It should be around 1000. If someone can confirm that it its 500 charges, then owners: switch to smart charges (upload songs only when fully discharged to take full advantage on the charge cycle). It is a way to extend the battery for those who use their walkman a lot.

Maybe many of you are already doing this, but for the ones that aren't follow my advice.

Old 11-14-2007, 03:19 PM

Again, whats the point, you can run the damn thing for 3 years at 10 hours a day even with the rated battery life cycle... This issue is about the same relevance as wheter or not the DAP floats

Old 11-14-2007, 03:48 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Agreed. Furthermore, most people will switch to newer DAPs long before 3 years, due to technology advances like faster wireless networking, higher capacities, larger screens, smaller sizes... the list goes on and on.

Old 11-14-2007, 04:18 PM
Ultra Senior Member

plus, the battery doesn't just go from 100% capacity to 0%...you'll just lose battery life gradually. By the end, you may only get 50% of the length out if it that you would originally, but it certainly isn't unusable...

Old 11-14-2007, 06:11 PM

Well I'm new to the MP3 world and I'm learning a lot here.

Old 11-15-2007, 01:39 AM

Battery life shouldn't be a problem in sony's, my A1000 battey life has been the same since day 1, and I haven't noticed any drop so far. I bought it around 2 years ago.

Old 11-17-2007, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascariss View Post
Battery life shouldn't be a problem in sony's, my A1000 battey life has been the same since day 1, and I haven't noticed any drop so far. I bought it around 2 years ago.
That makes me feel better.

Old 11-17-2007, 05:56 PM

In addition the battery in the A1000 and A3000 is the same as the ones in the new 800 series, so if you use the device for 2 years everyday, the battery should last you probably that long if not longer. By then a newer sony would already be on sale and one could always upgrade.

Old 11-18-2007, 01:31 AM

I apologize for my ignorance as I am new to the MP3 world and I realize now that by the time this battery dies I will be ready for an upgrade anyway so no worrys. I absolutely love this little player.

Old 11-21-2007, 09:34 PM

What is the point of this thread?

Old 12-13-2007, 07:16 AM

500 charges is a lot,what are you talking aboat?if you listen to it for 35 hours and charge it after that ,thats aboat 2 years(not counting the charge time),so that means it could play for 2 yers 24/7(if you kepp it on from the day of the purchase to the day the battery dies)-that is some crazy battery life,bu tif you use it like a normal person,it will live 12-15 years(not enough?)