android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Microsoft Zune

Old 11-11-2007, 06:38 PM

Default The new and improved (?!) Zune Song Rating System

Apparently, the new Zunes have a revamped song rating system that allows users to choose between a heart icon and a broken heart icon. This means that songs that were rated below 2 stars will display a broken heart and anything above will display a full heart.

... I think this is ridiculous.

What do you guys think?

Here's the link:

http://zuneinsider.com/archive/2007/...ng-system.aspx

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-11-2007, 06:58 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I don't really like the idea, but I dont typically rate my music anyways...if i don't like it, why would I put it on my MP3 player?

Old 11-11-2007, 07:27 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I agree that it was a bad move to change it since the rest of world uses a 5 star system, including WMP. My e260 sucks with ratings, but If I had something like a zune or clix, I would use the rating system.

How To Remove the Hebrew Beta firmware

Old 11-11-2007, 07:45 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Heh... That's kinda cute! Ridiculous, but cute.

Old 11-11-2007, 07:48 PM
ABI Founder

i dont like the idea of only two choices... they should have done heart, heart+, no rating, broken heart, broken heart minus.

sorry but that rating system sucks

Old 11-11-2007, 07:48 PM

I never actually use rating systems, but I think this is a bad move by the zune dev team.

"My wife's new Nano is like a triscuit."

Old 11-11-2007, 07:50 PM
Ultra Senior Member

i can see enough people complaining and getting a firmware update in the future...

maybe make it an option to use either the 1-5 system or that frilly heart system

Old 11-11-2007, 08:05 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumx4182 View Post
i can see enough people complaining and getting a firmware update in the future...

maybe make it an option to use either the 1-5 system or that frilly heart system
Zelda heart system?

Old 11-11-2007, 08:07 PM
ABI Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaughter View Post
Zelda heart system?
and pieces of triforce =)

Old 11-11-2007, 08:07 PM

Heh, collect all four parts to gain a new heart container! Nintendo would not be amused.

Old 11-11-2007, 08:19 PM
Ultra Senior Member

hey, a tri-force rating system would have more variance than this broken heart crap...0/3 of the force, 1/3, 2/3, and full tri-force...i like it!

Old 11-12-2007, 04:15 PM

Hehe next they'll have 1-up mushrooms and Poison mushrooms.

Old 11-12-2007, 04:25 PM

Do I get the feeling their "focus groups" once again dumb the whole thing down, catering to the imaginary "dumbest user"?

Not that this rating thing is an important issue, but I see a general tendency, heading in a direction I really don't like...

Old 11-12-2007, 04:50 PM
ABI Founder

exactly, they are alienating the people they need on their side. The hardcore users, the opinion leaders. These are the people that TELL the dumbest user what to buy. There is a way to appease both types of users.

Last edited by EnzoTen; 11-12-2007 at 05:00 PM.

Old 11-12-2007, 05:16 PM

Agreed w/most comments, personally I think it’s silly/stupid…who’s the target market here, certainly not kiddies at the price they're asking. Although in all honesty if this was the player I wanted, this feature wouldn’t keep me from buying one, as I really don’t rate my music…that’s what the delete key on the pc is for

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 11-12-2007, 09:28 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I read on a zune site today, that Microsoft asked people if they use the rating system and 90% said no. So they still wanted some sort of system so they had a test group try some out and the heart thing was the most popular. After reading that and thinking about it, it does kind of make sense. If I dump a bunch of songs on my player and as I listen, I probably just like the song or don't like the song. I mark it as a broken heart and it is removed next time I sync.

I know some people use the rating system for other reasons, but really that is a very small minority and MS thinks they have something that will actually be used unlike the 5 star system. I am on board with the 2 choice thing, but I know some people will still be pissed.

Old 11-12-2007, 09:34 PM
Ultra Senior Member

i want a DJ mode like Creative has...most played songs, songs not heard for awhile, and all that jazz...auto-playlists FTW!

Old 11-12-2007, 10:25 PM

I like autoplaylists myself, but they have been removed from the Zune 2.1 software (!?!?!?!). Still, I don't see why they removed it. The option to create an autoplaylist was rather hidden anyway in the current Zune software, so only power users were likely to get to it anyway.

(Yes, autoplaylists on the device would be great as well. Let's bombard Microsoft!)

Oh well, all the updates come tomorrow and we'll get to play with it all ourselves. Whee!

Old 11-13-2007, 04:39 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Apparently, MS is going to be watching groups in the next few weeks and seeing reactions to things like the autoplaylists, rating system, etc. I want autoplaylists RIGHT ON THE ZUNE...I'd never think to do it if it was on the software and i dont want to sync just to get a new playlist, i want it on the fly. Make it happen Microsoft.

Old 11-13-2007, 12:06 PM

I like the new rating system. I never used standard ratings except to give bad rips one star or occasionally give my favorite tracks on an album four or five, but I'm actually using the new ones for flagging things.

It's a bummer to people who use smart playlists, but I have a feeling (hope) that the Zune team is going to provide some sort of equivalent that ties into the Zune Social.