android
Old 11-11-2007, 10:10 AM

Default Can I sort songs alphabetically?

Hi everyone,

Love my T8 - almost 2 years after buying it, still think it's an awesome player.

But I have one pet peeve: whenever I copy over new songs, the newer songs are at the bottom of the list (i.e. it seems to sort by date).

Is there any way to sort the songs alphabetically? All my MP3s are in "<artist> - <song>.mp3" format, and I just want to scroll down to the artist's name and play a song! This feature of finding a song by the artist is the only time when an iPod beats my T8 and I hate when that happens !!!

I use simple Windows Explorer to copy over files. I've also tried using the crappy Samsung software to sort and then transfer. No luck either way. I'm running firmware v 1.38, if that matters...

Thanks,

ssarmazi

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-11-2007, 10:46 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Since selecting the artist (alphabetically) then the song is not working by allocating the filename, "artist - song", you could try implementing the folder structure, "Artist / filename" to make the T8 list the folders (which can be artist names) in alphabetical order, and in each put the tracks that belong to that artist. Is this a viable solution?

Old 11-11-2007, 10:53 AM

Thanks for the quick response, ZZZ.

Well, it's definitely a solution, but I wouldn't say it's viable! I have way too many artists, and even if I had the time to create all these folders, it'd still be a pain to navigate through the structure everytime I want to listen to another artist.

It's too bad, really, you'd think this would be a no-brainer feature.

ssarmazi

Old 11-11-2007, 12:04 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Does the T8 support tag-browsing at all? This would change the situation a lot.

This idea is impractical for every time you add new music, but once in a while copying your music back to the computer (if it is not already there), removing all music from the T8, then reloading it once more should arrange them by date (which is identical), then artist (which is what you want. (note: you may need to remove the T8 and connect it again between deleting and reloading songs for the changes to take effect). I guess you've already thought of this idea though.

I'm not sure if this helps either, but would using playlists help in any way? For example you could add each new files to a single playlist which is ordered alphabetically by artist. If this is possible it may be what you are looking for.