android
Old 11-08-2007, 02:40 PM

Talking Optimal Video Size

I have been using the View for the last couple of days. I contacted Sandisk about the firmware update and I was told pretty much that one wasn't out, I know there is one out there but I guess she didn't want me using it.

My other question was about the video size. I have been using 320x240 which is what I thought was the optimal video size. Apparently I was wrong. I was told that the optimal video size is 480x272. I tried this resolution and holy crap, it looks marvelous on the view. I just got done watching Spiderman 3 on my View and it looks great! Here is a copy of the email I got sent on November 7, 2007:

Dear Justin,

Thank you for contacting SanDisk Technical Support. It is our goal to make sure you have all the resources you need to get the most from your product.

At this time, there is no official release of any new firmware for the View. As such, we cannot send any firmware for the View. Firmware is in the process of being developed, but no firm release date has been set.

To answer your other question, the optimal resolution for the View is 480 X 272. Be aware that a larger resolution will mean a larger file size.

If you prefer to record in the resolution you have now, it should work well with your device.

Again, thank you for contacting SanDisk technical support. Have a great day.

Best regards,
Gerrianne R.
SanDisk Technical Support

If any of you are curious, I use ******** Ultimate DVD Converter, using 480x272 MP4 with the quality settings maxed out, cropping both black bands and using near cd audio quality bitrate, the video looks and sounds amazing. Much better than the 320x240 I was using before. Once the video is done being converted, I just drag and drop into the View. I've had no problems with video playback.

My only other last thought is the earbuds. I had to toss the crapola earbuds they came with. I replaced mine with gunmetal black V-Moda Vibe earbuds. They sound 110% better. I like the Vibes and for $74 they really are awesome sounding earbuds. Only thing is, with these earbuds, you have to let them burn in for about 10 hours before using them. At any rate, I love my View and how it looks and sounds. Simply Amazing!!!!!!!!!!

One last thing I forgot to mention, I store my View in a Pelican 1010 Micro Case. It works out pretty sweet. It fits my View, earbuds, and USB cable in a watertight durable protective enclosure. I just made a cutout from the original packaging and it fits perfectly inside the case.
I travel a lot so this is important. I hope you guys enjoy yours as much as I do mine!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-09-2007, 05:40 PM

Tried it with media coder and everything maxed out.
Works! Thanks.

Old 11-12-2007, 10:17 AM

WOW! That's amazing. That's way higher resolution than most MP3 Players support.

What bitrate did you use?

Old 11-12-2007, 06:12 PM

According to the Sansa View portal the maximum options are. You'd think Sandisk would be consistent:

Video Format: MPEG4 NOT H.264!
Extension: AVI
Resolution: VGA - VGA is 640x480
Bitrate: 2Mbps (2000Kbps)
Audio Format: PCM - The bitrate of PCM is usually uncompressed 1400Kbps. I imagine this is overkill!
Audio Rate: 44.1Khz / 16-Bit

Windows Media Video at the other end of the scale only manages:

Video Format: Windows Media Video
Extension: WMV
Resolution: QVGA - QVGA is 320x240
Bitrate: 768Kbps
Audio Format: WMA up to 355Kbps
Audio Rate: Presumably the same.

I do wonder if the View can really support 640x480 when the resolution of the screen is only 320x240 but you never know.

http://www.sandisk.com/sansa/