android
Old 11-07-2007, 12:40 PM

Default Cannot save playlists in RockBox

This may have been addressed, and I am sorry if it has-- I've searched and searched, but cannot find a step-by-step.

*sigh* Call me st~p!d, if you like....

I'm using Rockbox, Kugel build on a Sansa E280

I'm using M$ Media Player 10 to get the files onto the player, as it preserves the artist-album folder hierarchy, which I like-- and since I can't get rid of it's bloat, why burden my system further? It just works.

Anyway, here is what I've tried:

Use Files from main menu (on player) Navigate to album (they are stored by artist folder, then individual album folders).

Select the album, which lists the tracks.

Then, highlight a track, click the context button (down) and select "add to playlist".

Do that for each track.

Finally, (context again) select >Playlist>Save current playlist and here is where I'm stumped.

I can name it whatever, with the virtual keyboard.

But, no matter WHAT I click, I can't seem to SAVE the darn thing! (I said I was being st~p~d, didn't I?)

I know it has to be something obvious....

I looked at the official manual, and supposedly clicking "play" will save it-- but, NOT THE CASE on my player!

Clicking "play" just moves the cursor UP a line!

How do I get it to save?

Thanks!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-07-2007, 01:35 PM
Rockbox Developer

What kind of playlist do you want to create?

If you want to create playlists for every album, I strongly recommend you to use the database feature.
Even more if you want to make playlists for every artist. You can browse the artist tag, and select all tracks.

Also, you don't need to add every singe file to your playlist. Just select one of the files in one directory. Rockbox will automatically create a dynamic playlist containing all the files from that directory. You can access that playlist via context menu from the WPS (or REC button if you use the rec button configuration feature in my build).

Playlists are saved on the ROOT directory. The playlists directory fools you, as it's origin is the OF.

For the filename entry, you need to hold the select button when you are done with it. I've included a patch that remapps the whole keyboad screen. You've noticed that if you looked on my patch list.

Anyway, I want all people having problems with my build to post in my build thread to not further bload this forum with inapproprate threads.

Old 11-07-2007, 05:39 PM

I didn't think it was a build-specific issue-- sorry. Will post any other issues there-- I _like_ the build.

And I found what I wasn't doing right-- one of your build's included patches has a key-remapping "fix" that makes you hold rec+play to exit and save.

Once I saw that, I was able to save the playlist, no problem.

And, rockbox seems to have placed it into the "playlist" directory-- no big deal.

I wanted to manually make one, because I have hundreds of albums, and I will be writing a playlist generator program, to write directly to the Sansa. I needed to know the text format of the file, and reading the issues with non-compatible playlists....

Anyway, my program will "walk the dir paths" and make a master-playlist for each artist, all the albums, in the TRACK order (and not alphabetic, as with the "play all" feature with database-- I have ZERO interest in playing tracks in alphabetic order...)

Old 11-07-2007, 08:18 PM
Rockbox Developer

Are you aware of the "Insert" option in the context menu, which should insert the tracks, one album at a time, in the order listed?

So if you have

Artist 1
-Album 1
--Track 1
--Track 2
--Track 3
-Album 2
--Track 1
--Track 2
--Track 3

If you insert the artist, you'll get:
Album 1 track 1
Album 1 track 2
Album 1 track 3
Album 2 track 1
Album 2 track 2
Album 2 track 3

As your temporary playlist, saving you from having to make some sort of generator. It's still alphabetic order within each album, but as long as your files are named Tracknum - Trackname, it should work for what it sounds like you want.

Old 11-08-2007, 04:31 AM

Saving in the 'playlist' folder is sensible seeing as this is where rockbox actually looks for playlists to enumerate the playlists catalog. You can still play a playlist from any folder but if you want rockbox to display it as part of its catalog then they need to be saved in the playlist folder.

Personally I think it would be better if rockbox would scan for playlist files like it does for the actual audio files (or does it and I'm missing something?) then there wouldn't be any need for a playlist directory.

Cya, Reggie...

Last edited by Reggie; 11-08-2007 at 03:45 PM. Reason: making info clearer and asking a question.

Old 11-08-2007, 10:08 AM
Rockbox Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob ofQF View Post
I didn't think it was a build-specific issue-- sorry. Will post any other issues there-- I _like_ the build.

And I found what I wasn't doing right-- one of your build's included patches has a key-remapping "fix" that makes you hold rec+play to exit and save.
Yes, that's my build. But REC+Play is pretty old. Update to my new version to get a better solution of accepting (holding select) and backslashung(REC).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob ofQF View Post
Anyway, my program will "walk the dir paths" and make a master-playlist for each artist, all the albums, in the TRACK order (and not alphabetic, as with the "play all" feature with database-- I have ZERO interest in playing tracks in alphabetic order...)
Yea, that one bugs me too.

BTW: Everything you experience in a unsupported build is build-specific by default, until you tested it on a official build