android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > SanDisk Sansa > Sansa View > Sansa View Hacks

 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1  
Old 04-02-2011, 11:32 AM
FalconFour's Avatar
FalconFour FalconFour is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 26
Default I've successfully got e200tool identing my bricked View. Please help me finish it!

Code:
Falcon@VirtualXP ~/e200tool
# ./e200tool.exe init
e200tool v0.2.3-viewmod (c) by MrH 2006, 2007
Searching for device 0781:0720 ... found!
Setting configuration 1...
Success!
Attempting to claim interface 0...
Success! Using interface 0.
Initializing USB stub (4780 bytes) ... done!
... And then the View drops off the USB bus but does nothing more. I think we're on to something though... something probably quite big.

I've had a bricked View sitting in a change drawer for over a year now. I used to have some issues with power management and hanging, that no amount of reformatting/resetting would fix... so I decided to try completely erasing the drive using a hex editor, so it'll completely re-initialize itself from scratch. Before doing so, though, I backed the entire physical address space up to a flat file, in case I messed something up. Yep. It bricked it. Apparently the boot ROM is accessible in user-space, so clearing the partitionable area also destroyed its boot ROM. HOWEVER, it's still sitting right there in that backup file, if I could just find a way to push it back to flash!

I'm so close to getting this thing unbricked. And if I can get this unbricked, I'll contribute the backup image, the modified e200tool code, and any other information to help unbrick any other Views out there.

I spent this morning fighting with libusb's dirt-poor documentation (pretty much none whatsoever - the reference pages basically saying "to use this function, use this function."). I finally got it to stop giving me "Invalid argument" on usb_claim_interface, by calling usb_set_configuration to "1" first - not "0" as I had originally suspected. It wasn't until I found "testlibusb-win" that I was finally able to uncover the parameters I needed to feed libusb's functions... /facepalm

But I finally got it working, at least to the point of uploading goofed-up USB loader code to the device. That prompts me to wonder: could I upload the initial bytes of the saved ROM image instead? Maybe get that "16MB_FORMAT" drive to appear, and I could upload the rest from there? I think we're really on the right track here, and thought it was worth sharing.

(I think the most impressive thing is, besides holding on to my bricked View knowing I'd find a fix some day, is that I'm a PHP coder, not a C++ coder - man, this stuff is complicated! )

Last edited by FalconFour; 04-02-2011 at 11:41 AM.
Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:37 PM.