android
Old 10-27-2007, 01:43 AM
gigman

Unhappy wont start and only scroll weel turns on

so when i press the power button, the only thing that happens is the scrol wheel turns on, and i tried with my friend going through the menus blind and turning on the screen, that didn't work but the only way to turn it off is to holddown the power button for like 30 seconds, and this hapend 2 me once b4, and all i did was charge it, then hold select and push power and it worked again, but that wont work now, please help, if u get anything e-mail my at bqzking********* or just post a response
and ive aleady tried recovery mode, it didnt work.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-27-2007, 08:06 AM

You could try opening the back, removing the battery for an hour or so (or press power while battery is out, to discharge any residual charge).

If that doesn't work, I'd see about RMA or warrenty-- sounds like a defective unit, if recovery mode won't power on.

Or, it just could be a defective battery.... I had a cell phone that acted like your symptoms, and a new battery fixed it.

Old 10-27-2007, 10:14 AM
gigman

Unhappy still not working....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob ofQF View Post
You could try opening the back, removing the battery for an hour or so (or press power while battery is out, to discharge any residual charge).

If that doesn't work, I'd see about RMA or warrenty-- sounds like a defective unit, if recovery mode won't power on.

Or, it just could be a defective battery.... I had a cell phone that acted like your symptoms, and a new battery fixed it.

ok, but then why did it work the first time i tried it when i just pressed the select button? i got it refurbished if that means realy anything, it should still act like new tho, so idk its kinda stupid. and i took the battery out, then plugged it in and tried to turn it on and all that stuff so i already did what ur saying, but i just didnt keep it out if that matters, idk

Old 10-27-2007, 10:27 AM
Ultra Senior Member

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=17040

Old 10-27-2007, 01:48 PM
gigman

yea that didnt work, i tried to "unbrick" it, but that didnt do anything, so what do i do now? send it in to sandisk? but wont my warenty have been voided if i put rockbox on there, ugh, this sux

Old 10-27-2007, 02:16 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigman View Post
yea that didnt work, i tried to "unbrick" it, but that didnt do anything, so what do i do now? send it in to sandisk? but wont my warenty have been voided if i put rockbox on there, ugh, this sux
If it didn't work, I think you probably didn't follow the instructions properly. Follow what it says properly, and you won't have problems. You could try http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/vie...nsaE200Unbrick as well, but it's the same thing, just less detailed. Also, what "didn't work"? Did you even use Linux? What was the output of lsusb once you put it in Manufacturing mode?

Old 10-31-2007, 09:07 PM
gigman

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjs162216 View Post
If it didn't work, I think you probably didn't follow the instructions properly. Follow what it says properly, and you won't have problems. You could try http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/vie...nsaE200Unbrick as well, but it's the same thing, just less detailed. Also, what "didn't work"? Did you even use Linux? What was the output of lsusb once you put it in Manufacturing mode?
i did it right, and i talked to a guy from sansa who specializes in people with rockbox, and he said if that didnt work, than there is anouther stage in a "bricked" mp3 player where its unfixable, yes i used linux, and just nothing happended when i did it, only the scroll wheel turned on

Old 10-31-2007, 09:30 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
i did it right, and i talked to a guy from sansa who specializes in people with rockbox, and he said if that didnt work,
May I ask who you talked to?

Quote:
than there is anouther stage in a "bricked" mp3 player where its unfixable, yes i used linux,
This confuses me. There's four modes: Regular, Recovery, Manufacturing, and Pre-boot. Unless your Sansa's blue scrollwheel doesn't turn on, and there isn't a hardware problem, you are in one of those modes. In addition, if your Sansa's blue scrollwheel turns on, it isn't considered bricked.

Quote:
only the scroll wheel turned on
Then you did it correctly and you can begin the recovery process.

Quote:
and just nothing happended when i did it,
As expected. The display is handled by the bootloader - if the bootloader doesn't work, there's no display. Manufacturing mode doesn't load the bootloader, and therefore there is no display. Just turn on hold, press select, turn it on, and connect it to your Linux computer, and run e200tool. It will appear as if nothing happens until you run e200tool, even though it is ready.

Old 11-06-2007, 07:32 PM
gigman

ok wow, so like, i know ur trying to help, but realy, ur not, and ive heard about other people who this happend to, its a virus frum a file i put on there, it takes a day to work, and it did, but the first time, u can fix it, and when i did, i shouldve formatted it, but i didnt, and then a few days later, it brakes permenantly, and i already sent it in and my new 1 gets here in 2 days, so w/e i dont care anymore

Old 11-06-2007, 08:25 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
ok wow, so like, i know ur trying to help, but realy, ur not, and ive heard about other people who this happend to, its a virus frum a file i put on there
With all do respect, you seem to have no clue what you're talking about. The bootloader/firmware is proprietary code, and can't run "windows viruses" or similar. In addition, I would like to see where you found that information about it being a "virus". From what I think, your Sansa was formatted, as you said, which seemed to erase either the bootloader or the partitions, depending on how you formatted it. In either case, your Sansa is basically indicating that it simply needs repair. It is *not* possible for a file to permenantly brick your Sansa - at the worst, it could put it into pre-boot mode, which would require you to download four files:
e200tool
a copy of the i2c
the Sansa bootloader
the Sansa firmware.

If you listen to what we have tried to say, your Sansa would most likely be working right now.

Quote:
, it takes a day to work, and it did, but the first time, u can fix it, and when i did, i shouldve formatted it, but i didnt, and then a few days later, it brakes permenantly, and i already sent it in and my new 1 gets here in 2 days, so w/e i dont care anymore
Again, that makes no sense. The Sansa doesn't run Windows. You will not find a start button. You will not find any exe files that the Sansa will run. With the exceptions of: sansa.fmt, pp5022.mi4, and BL_SD_BOARDSUPPORTSD.ROM, the Sansa will treat all other files as simply files stored on the Sansa, the same as it would mp3, m4a, mpg, ogg, flac, exe, bat, doc, ppt, odt, sh, etc. files - it would simply ignore them, unless they're music files (or videos) which can be played. The "it takes a day to work" thing would also indicate that the file was specially designed for the Sansa, and I would like to see this file myself. In addition, you sort of contradicted yourself: "it takes a day to work" followed by "then a few days later" - first you said it takes a day to brick, then you said it takes a few days. In addition, unless this file modifies hardware (which would void your warrenty, and therefore you couldn't RMA it, and therefore you wouldn't be able to sent it in, meaning that it can't modify hardware, but it has to modify the hardware, but it can't modify the hardware because you couldn't send it in) it can't permenently brick the Sansa, only put it into preboot, manufacturing, or recovery mode.

Old 11-08-2007, 06:33 PM
gigman

Default blah

wow ur good at quoting, but one thing that u didnt qoute is this:

Quote:
i already sent it in and my new 1 gets here in 2 days, so w/e i dont care anymore

__________________________________________________ ______________

Old 11-08-2007, 09:19 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

If you weren't interested in fixing it, why did you waste everyone's time asking how to do it?

Old 11-09-2007, 05:31 AM

Default I'm sure he's really grateful inside

Quote:
and i already sent it in and my new 1 gets here in 2 days, so w/e i dont care anymore
And the next time you have a problem with your sansa you won't care if everyone here says 'So what, who cares?' to your issues?

Man your attitude sucks, Still while you're here is there a chance you could jump on IRC and join #rockbox and help they programmers iron out any bugs? You know, while you still know everything?

Cya, Reggie...

Old 11-13-2007, 01:36 AM
gigman

all that was actually my friend using my account and on forums elsewhere I have heard about the version.txt filel getting corrupted and bricking your player. I'm sure it was fixable but it just wasn't worth free return shipping and 1 week for the rep. to get there.

Old 11-13-2007, 03:08 AM

well your friend's attitude sucks, and even if it wasn't you, it could create trouble for YOU when you need help with another problem. Be careful when it comes to account sharing.