android
Old 10-22-2007, 08:41 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Talking My Alessandro MS-1's arrived!

Guys, these are amazing rock cans... they're fresh out of the box, but already sound great! Some pics below.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-22-2007, 09:17 PM

Those look sweet, how do they stack up to an old set of AKG K240's?

Old 10-22-2007, 09:25 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangfire View Post
Those look sweet, how do they stack up to an old set of AKG K240's?
Don't know about the AKG K240's, but the MS-1's are definitely better for rock and metal than my AKG K81 DJ's. Not that the AKG's are bad, but the Alessadro's have leaner bass (that I emphasize with Mach3Bass ) and an overall more linear frequency respose. I'm running them unEQ'ed, and they sound amazing right out of the box. I wonder what they'll sound like after 100+ hours...

Edit: keep in mind that both AKG's mentioned are closed cans, while the MS-1's are open. They (the MS-1's) don't isolate and they leak sound, that is, people near you will hear what you're listening to.

Edit 2: to clarify the model I was referring to.

Old 10-22-2007, 09:54 PM

I almost bought these headphones, but I found them really ugly.. I ended up buying some K81DJ... I don't know, it may be a matter of taste

Old 10-22-2007, 09:55 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The MS1s were awesome when I owned them. I used mine with bowls because it opened up the soundstage a bit. You will lose a little bass thump, but it will be more detailed in the mid to low bass region. Ultimately I upgraded to the Grado SR225, but I will say that the MS1 with bowls came very close to the SR225.

Congrats and enjoy rocking out. They also work great for jazz, vocals and blues. And open cans almost always destroy closed cans for realistic sound. How do you like being able to pick out instruments?

How To Remove the Hebrew Beta firmware

Old 10-22-2007, 09:57 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emfa View Post
I almost bought these headphones, but I found them really ugly.. I ended up buying some K81DJ... I don't know, it may be a matter of taste
Sorry for the double post, but you really have your priorities wrong if you chose the 81DJ over the MS1 based on looks. The 81DJ is nowhere in the same league for sound quality compared to the MS1. Ill take ugly phones and SQ any day. Now if you had to have closed cans, then I see going for the 81DJ.

How To Remove the Hebrew Beta firmware

Old 10-22-2007, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almoxil View Post
Edit: keep in mind that both AKG's mentioned are closed cans, while the MS-1's are open. They don't isolate and they leak sound, that is, people near you will hear what you're listening to.
My understanding as quoted by the AKG lit: "K 240 Studio’s semi-open ear cups have around-the-ear coupling to deliver solid bass, accurate mids and crystal-clear highs" etc...

They were the studio industry standard back in the day. Of course I'm dating myself now;-)