android
Old 11-12-2007, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by froes View Post
The S9 sounds quit good and works fine not only with the P2 but also with my MDA Pro.
Shine On, Frank
Sorry it was a Motorola S705 Soundpilot. It plays my "problem childs" with A2DP on my MDA Pro without any noticable artefacts connected to the P2. I just checked it out.
It can be used while remaining in a pocket. You can attach the headset of your chice. It has a rechargable battery, a mini USB connector for charging and a RDS tuner, missed by the P2.

Shine On, Frank

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-18-2007, 11:05 AM

it's funny how bad bluetooth sounds. And it's quite obvious. I remember i went camping and got a sony bluetooth boombox. I paired it with the P2 and i started playing some music. I immediately thought "This doesn't sound right". So i popped in the original CD, and WOW, what a difference it was. I thought that the Samsung P2 device just sucked at playing Mp3's! But it was actually the bluetooth. I was gonna go completely towards an Ipod Touch.

But now messing with the Iphone (not the ipod touch). I realized how amazing the screen/interface of the IPod Touch/Iphone is. Kind of got me jealous. I can move anything and everything 100% of the time of the IPod Touch/Iphone... Not so much with the P2... in fact it's frustrating at times when i'm trying to go to the next track of the P2 or when i'm trying to scroll thing song names. The samsung touch screen needs the "apple touch"... pun intended

Old 11-18-2007, 02:31 PM

can you clarify this comment: if the "orignal" CD contains the wav files, then you are comparing compressed MP3's with uncompressed files not comparing bluetooth to wired connections.

bluetooth connections do not sound bad to me, when I compare the same recording played over bluetooth or connected by wire.

Old 11-29-2007, 12:19 AM

Sound via bluetooth is a huge step back people.

If you have a decently encoded mp3 track and listen to it via normal headphones and then listen via bluetooth connection it's like am and fm radio.

That's because bluetooth is only capable of sounding close to Stereo sound quality of the what mid 80s when stereo sound was considered hifi?

We're way beyond that now with higher bitrates etc.

If you are the type that doesn't mind how your music sounds so long as you can hear it, then go get yourself a bluetooth headset, but for the rest of you just stick to your sick set of AKG K81DJs like myself, or your Grados, or whatever.

Cheers,
Mike

Old 12-09-2007, 09:48 AM

Going back to your original question of "is bluetooth a reason to buy?", I'm afraid there's not a yes or no answer to that because it totally depends on whether or not you think you'd use it. For me the answer is yes, but (and I hate to state the obvious) you need to ask yourself if you'd actually use wireless headsets/speakers or sync the player with your phone.

Honestly, I don't really think the argument about audio quality is a valid one if you're willing to fork out for decent headphones. Bluetooth 2.0's bitrate allows excellent definition if you buy decent hardware, just like you can only expect the best from wired headphone if you get a good pair. Also I expect that the majority of people are already taking an quality hit by using audio encoded at 192kbps or less so the subtle differences in headphone quality just become a moot point.

I can appreciate the advantages in syncing a media player with my phone; on the surface it may sound like a novelty for geeks but for people who use an MP3 player for hours every day it could really make life easier. Of course the best solution is to have a phone with a top-quality player integrated into it but I prefer to mix and match the best of both worlds rather than make compromises.

For me the overriding reason for upgrading my MP3 player to the P2 was because I have an MP3 stereo in my car and I'm frustrated that I can't play my Napster subscription music on it, and also getting podcasts onto it takes a few too many steps for my liking. Fortunately the car stereo is bluetooth enabled so I decided it would be far better to let a seperate MP3 player handle all of the music/podcasts and then link it up to stereo & speakers automatically whenever I'm in the car. And going back to the point about sound quality, I haven't received my P2 yet but I have tested this setup by playing music from my phone over my car speakers via bluetooth and it sounded great.

Ed

Old 12-09-2007, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maduhbee View Post
it's funny how bad bluetooth sounds. And it's quite obvious. I remember i went camping and got a sony bluetooth boombox. I paired it with the P2 and i started playing some music. I immediately thought "This doesn't sound right"
Sounds like it was the Sony SRS-BTM30. There much better sounding headphones and speakers out there. Even the Insignia BT monitor blows the Sony away. I'd suggest going to Best Buy and trying one of those out. It's day and night.

Old 12-09-2007, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markr041 View Post
bluetooth connections do not sound bad to me, when I compare the same recording played over bluetooth or connected by wire.
There is a great deal of variability between various BT devices and thier sound quality. Some pairings sound pretty good and some sound like utter garbage.

The first stereo BT headset I heard was useless. If I had made my judgement based upon that one experience, I would be saying it's crap too. Just like audio processing chips, there are different BT chipsets with differing amounts a capability. I've been fortunate enough to try 7 different headphones, 3 speakers, 3 PDAs, 2 phones, and 2 computers. There isn't one description of sound quality among these devices...they were all over the map.

The important thing is if you enjoy it, keep enjoying it.

Old 12-09-2007, 04:40 PM

I don't believe bluetooth is a reason to buy.
It's a nice added bonus, but not a MAIN feature of a mp3 player in my opinion.

The sound quality of this player is fantastic, even without equalizer settings. It just boosts sound on its own. Probably due to the power output of it.

I forget which review I read that in, but it's more powerful than any ipod in sound output through the headphone jack, so it'll drive higher quality headphones better.

Also if and when you get one, set the Clairty effect to 1, it will give it an amplified sound that sounds better, in my opinion, to the default settings, which are too flat.

Cheers,
Mike

Old 12-09-2007, 05:43 PM

does changing eq settings really affect the battery life of the player by a lot?? cus thats the reason why i haven't been using DNSe and the eq settings... maybe i should cus i'm hearing some fuzzy stuff when i hook it up to my car stereo using a tape thing

Old 12-09-2007, 06:42 PM

For me, the *only* reason to purchase the P2 is Bluetooth. As far as I'm concerned, at this price point you can find better wired sound quality. Sometimes, the P2 sounds a little muddy w/ Shure e3cs. If there were no Bluetooth, I think I'd be using a Cowon or maybe even a Sony.

Old 12-09-2007, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shampoo View Post
The sound quality of this player is fantastic, even without equalizer settings. It just boosts sound on its own. Probably due to the power output of it.
It has the same power output as the T9 (20 mW/channel). They just shifted the frequency response. At first I thought is sounded better too but with some flat eq comparisons, the P2 & T10 have some clarity issues. The Clarity settings only make it worse. Of course, this is magnified when using Bluetooth.

Old 12-09-2007, 09:56 PM

Just thought I'd add my thoughts to the bluetooth headphone discussion.

Paring a Motorola S9 headset with a P2 as I type this and I have to say that I am pretty pleased with the sound and operation of the two together. No break-up in signal up to about 40 feet (12+ meters) and through two walls, which is much better than I expected. The sound is clear and reasonable volume can be attained, though I would wish for just a bit more.

When listening via bluetooth, the P2's equalizer is set to flat, so bass is limited.. but the overall sound is pleasant, with a decent soundstage. Audiophile they are not.. as has been mentioned ad nauseum, but they do the job. Playback of movies works fine with the S9 audio-wise. Seems I read somewhere that you could not listen to the audio of a movie in bluetooth mode IIRC.. if so, that info is incorrect.. as you certainly can. FM via bluetooth is a no-go.. as mentioned elsewhere.

Controls on the S9 (volume, pause/play and track advance) are quite small, but easy to operate for such a compact set of wireless phones.

Being wire-free is a major plus, that I can't emphasize enough. You have to try it for yourself before you can condemn people as "idiots who want to look cool and show off" or having more money than sense. Call me an idiot if you wish, but the P2/S9 combo is a rather good one.

Battery life of the P2/S9 combination should be interesting to see, but I have been listening to music for over 4 hrs now and the jury is still out, but things are well so far.

I give this combo a definite thumbs-up.

Edited for corrections and update

Old 12-10-2007, 09:43 AM

I wonder how people find the comfort level of the S9, I've been considering getting a pair but the lack of adjustment has me a bit worried. I've also read in a couple of reviews that if you have a larger head (myself) then you may want to consider a different pair of headphones. I'm curious how everyone else is finding the comfort level.

Old 12-10-2007, 10:38 AM

Ravager,

That's a good question. For larger heads, I'd really suggest you try them out first.. as they are a near perfect fit for my neck/head, but I'd fit into the medium-sized head category.

Certainly a lack of adjustment is a consideration with the S9, so as with all headphones/earphones.. try before you buy, if at all possible. I find them comfortable myself, but YMMV.

Old 12-10-2007, 05:19 PM

Thanks for you opinion on the S9 phones. Just bought it but haven't tried it yet.

Old 06-11-2008, 02:49 AM

Default Samsung SBH500's

I picked up a pair of Samsung SBH500's online for $59 CDN and I couldn't be happier. The sound is great - better than the P2 factory pair, though not quite comparable to my favorite Shure earbuds. (Maybe Samsung "optimized" for P2?) They pair to my LG245 phone as well. I let them play at medium volume w/the P2 and they lasted almost 7 hours. (!) They will last more than 2 days in standby with periodic listening. Once paired with the P2, it finds them automatically whenever you turn on the power. Bluetooth 2.0 handles stereo bandwidth just fine - I believe with no additional compression. I also got a Jabra a320s usb BT dongle for my PC that connects to both the headset for PC music and movie listening and the P2 for file transfer, for $19 CDN. The P2/LG245 phone/SBH500 headset combo also lets me comply with a new law here requiring handsfree when driving a car. I really didn't care about bluetooth, but now that I use it, I find it indespensable. I can play with my dog in the backyard with my P2 safely on the back porch. Now when she see's me put on the headphones, she runs to the back door as she knows we're going to play. The design is nice, A snug, behind the neck style is good for activity. They are black and not at all blue-douche looking. Having no wire kicks a$$. They control volume, pause, play, next/previous track and answer the phone via P2 with easy to access buttons. I still prefer my noise cancelling Shure buds for serious listening, but nothing beats Bluetooth when active.

Old 06-24-2008, 11:00 PM

As an observer, let me complement to all and say good discussion and good thread. Thank you for all of the info.

Old 12-17-2008, 12:37 AM

is Bluetooth a reason to buy?

Depends... Do you want BT to transfer files and the ability to answer phone while listening to music or are you interested in listening to music over BT wireless headphones?

If the latter I'd so no. The EQ on the P2 is disabled when using a BT headset. Honestly it just dosen't sound nearly as good. It the main reason I bought the P2 and am a bit dissapointed (lack of doing enough homework on my part). Framkly the BT audio sound better when listening through my cell phone (AT&T Tilt). Thinking about selling the P2 and using my cell for BT audio while running.

Old 12-23-2008, 12:15 PM

This is my first post on the forum. My Insignia Pilot cracked a screen last week and this Samsung P2 looks like my next step.

As for if bluetooth being a reason to buy, it sure doesn't hurt. Being over 6'2'' and on my feet most of the day, its hard to find wire buds with a cord long enough to keep the player in my front pants pocket. Plus i've been through 4 or 5 pair of earbuds where the wire wears out and only the L or R bud works. Bluetooth is deffinatly on the way for me.

I ordered some Insignia Bluetooth phones last week before my screen broke, so the Bluetooth is a BIG plus for picking up the P2.

Old 12-23-2008, 07:37 PM

I find that Bluetooth is probably the most useful thing on an MP3 player.
Wi-fi is useless on a music device
Calculators are useful, but really, on a music device, is nothing special
Touch screens are useful and cool, but you can live without it... But a P2 has it anyway

So really Bluetooth is really useful and is something to consider when buying musical devices.
P.S. I've also cut my circulation off (my wrist) with cord earphones :P

Back on the forum indefinitely