android
Old 10-22-2007, 07:44 PM

Default Is Bluetooth a reason to buy?

I am strictly a non-iPod user but unfortunately I lost my Samsung YP-K3 a few days back. Now I'm looking into a new player and I've had my eye on the Samsung YP-P2 for months now drooling over it. I have no interest in getting the 4GB, too small, and even 8GB is somewhat pushing it.

My real reason for posting is whether or not anyone else here cares for the Bluetooth connectivity? I thought it would be a major reason I buy this instead of an iPod Classic (80GB for the same price is a reason I'm questioning this).

I've been searching for some good sounding headphones for awhile now but I can't seem to find any that fit my taste. I'm not interested in the over the ear ones with the big padding surrounding you ear and stuff, they just look terrible.

I was just wondering if anyone else may have insight into whether or not they think the fact that there is Bluetooth should have me consider buying it.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-22-2007, 09:28 PM
Ultra Senior Member

well for some non-earcovering bluetooth headphones there's these Mototrola S9 http://www.store.motorola.com/mot/en...tProductDetail these look like IEM's. and to add to the good stuff about bluetooth, you can use it instead of your phone in a future firmware update using the P2's built in mic and headphones.

Old 10-22-2007, 09:32 PM

I was looking at that one before. Does anyone have any experience with these such devices? It's just that I hear a lot about bad sound quality with Bluetooth technology.

Old 10-22-2007, 09:54 PM

Bluetooth Stereo is for idiots who want to look cool and show off ("Look, no wires!") to other idiots at the expense of sound quality considering Bluetooth headphones neither have the bandwidth nor the construction to come even close to tried and true wired headphones.

The only reason bluetooth on the P2 is good is because soon I'll be able to recieve and answer all my phone calls on my mp3 player without ever touching my phone or worrying about not hearing it ring because of the sound isolation of my IEM's.

Old 10-22-2007, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEventHorizon View Post
I was looking at that one before. Does anyone have any experience with these such devices? It's just that I hear a lot about bad sound quality with Bluetooth technology.
Yeah thats what some people say but I question if they have substancial experience to judge. You can get good or bad quality from a pairing of BT headsets and devices. I have the BT T9, a T10, Motorola Q, a BT Windows Mobile PDA, a BT enabled UMPC, a BT enabled laptop, 4 different stereo headsets, and 2 BT speakers. The sound quality varies with which devices are paired together. I also use a wired Sony MDR EX-90, Sony MDR NC-22, and Shure E3C. With proper adjustments, I can get the BT Motorola HT820 and Sony DR-BT50 to sound just as good as the MDR EX-90 when used with the T9 or T10.

I'd suggest that if you do get a P2, try a Logitech Freepulse if you don't need the player control buttons (AVRCP) or the Motorola HT820 if you do. The Motorola S9 is a little weak (lack of bass) for the T10 but work surprising well with my Q. The Sony DR-BT50 are very bass biased and large in size. They probably have the best sound potential when eq'd to compensate for this tendency.

Old 10-22-2007, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
Bluetooth Stereo is for idiots who want to look cool and show off ("Look, no wires!") to other idiots at the expense of sound quality considering Bluetooth headphones neither have the bandwidth nor the construction to come even close to tried and true wired headphones.

The only reason bluetooth on the P2 is good is because soon I'll be able to recieve and answer all my phone calls on my mp3 player without ever touching my phone or worrying about not hearing it ring because of the sound isolation of my IEM's.
Using a mp3 player to answer a phone call! That seems more idiotic than using a stereo Bluetooth headset while working on the car or working out. Maybe if I lived a sedentary lifestyle, that would be great.

Bluetooth 2.0 devices have more than enough bandwidth to accomodate the largest files the P2 can support.

Old 10-23-2007, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgh1969pa View Post
Using a mp3 player to answer a phone call! That seems more idiotic than using a stereo Bluetooth headset while working on the car or working out. Maybe if I lived a sedentary lifestyle, that would be great.

Bluetooth 2.0 devices have more than enough bandwidth to accomodate the largest files the P2 can support.
I don't see whats so idiotic about it. Imagine walking down the street listening to your P2. Normally a call on your phone would be hard to notice with your headphones unless you directly had the phone in your pocket with vibrate mode, but with the BT tethering, you get a call, the music stops, and the caller ID is displayed on the player. Without missing a beat, you press a button, listen through the headphones and talk through the mic. It's just like using one of the Sony Ericsson phones, only wireless, and with a superior DAP. I for one even put my phone in my messenger bag when I go to work to keep from losing it, so having this feature is even more convenient to me.

Of course the BT 2.0 is enough, but the signal depends entirely on more (expensive) hardware which would be like buying another P2.

Besides, any audiophile knows BT headphones are not nearly as high quality as regular ones.

Old 10-23-2007, 12:42 AM

Quote:

Call me ignorant, but the last time I checked, Bluetooth for was used for the convenience of it, not the fashion(if anything, Stereo headphones make you look geeky). Wires are still hassles, aren't they?

And concerning audio quality: it's already been said by the posters before me; no sense in repeating it.

Old 10-23-2007, 08:13 PM

Quote:
...Of course the BT 2.0 is enough, but the signal depends entirely on more (expensive) hardware which would be like buying another P2.
Bluetooth 1.2 devices have practical bit rate of approx. 700 kbps (1 Mbps max) which is higher than the 320 kbps max file bit rate the player supports. 2.0 supports a max of 3 Mbps with a practical bit rate of 2.1 Mbps. Please specify what expensive equipment you are refering to. Bluetooth is not the problem, its the sound capabilities of the encoder/decoder and speakers used by the bluetooth device.

Quote:
Besides, any audiophile knows BT headphones are not nearly as high quality as regular ones.
Any audiophile will also tell you that listening to lossy compressed music on a mp3 player is already a compromised situation, Bluetooth or not. Ethier way, quality is lost period.

Old 10-23-2007, 08:44 PM

Quote:
I don't see whats so idiotic about it. Imagine walking down the street listening to your P2. Normally a call on your phone would be hard to notice with your headphones unless you directly had the phone in your pocket with vibrate mode, but with the BT tethering, you get a call, the music stops, and the caller ID is displayed on the player. Without missing a beat, you press a button, listen through the headphones and talk through the mic.
Because a BT stereo headset can connect to a player and phone at the same time in a hands free manner. Once an incoming call arrives, it will pause the music and switch to the phone. Then switches back to the player after the call and resumes playing. If I didn't want to hold and speak into a phone, why would I want to hold and speak into a mp3 player.

The T9 (v1.80) can already do what you propose and I don't use it for this purpose. It has no noise cancellation for conversations in public places and digging into your pocket to read the call ID from the player is just like digging into your pocket to read it off the phone. Zero gain.

Old 10-23-2007, 09:48 PM

Once file transfers through BT as been confirmed after the firmware update, that would be one of the reasons(at least I would consider) to buy this player.

Old 10-23-2007, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgh1969pa View Post
Because a BT stereo headset can connect to a player and phone at the same time in a hands free manner. Once an incoming call arrives, it will pause the music and switch to the phone. Then switches back to the player after the call and resumes playing. If I didn't want to hold and speak into a phone, why would I want to hold and speak into a mp3 player.

The T9 (v1.80) can already do what you propose and I don't use it for this purpose. It has no noise cancellation for conversations in public places and digging into your pocket to read the call ID from the player is just like digging into your pocket to read it off the phone. Zero gain.
Without Bluetooth phone support: A call comes in, you may or may not hear it or not even feel the vibration since it may be in your jacket or loose pants, and when you finally do hear the call you have to remove the headphones to listen to the call.

With BT phone support: Call comes in, you press a button on your mp3 player, answer the call through the mic.

Clear gain there, considering this is assuming you are listening to music on the P2 when the call comes in.

Old 10-25-2007, 02:17 PM

I use Loogitech's FreePulse BT phones, and though they are over the ear, they are small and light enough to use while working out, doing yard work, etc. The sound quality is good. Not as good as my Shure wired phones, and probably not for critical listening, but more than enough for the activities I need BT for in the first place. I may pick up an 8GB P2 when available, but for now the Logitech's come with a dongle that lets me use them with any 3.5mm jack, so I'm in no rush.

Old 10-26-2007, 04:58 PM

Question to P2 owners with wireless headphones...

Can the bluetooth headphones connect to the bluetooth on the P2, or do u have to use the accompanying transmitter and plug it in your player?

Old 10-27-2007, 12:59 AM
Ultra Senior Member

The P2's Bluetooth transmitter is built-in, so you won't have to connect an extra transmitter to use Bluetooth functions.

Old 10-31-2007, 05:27 PM

you shouldn't forget that the playback time of the p2 decreases to 5h when you use bluetooth (that's what samsung germany says, i couldn't find it in the american specifications)
by using the phonecall thing it has always to be activated, so battery life really suffers

Old 11-01-2007, 06:25 PM

If you wan't bluetooth with more capacity, you could get an Insignia Pilot because it has sdhc expandible memory, so if you want, you could get a 16GB sdhc card and have 24GB total memory. Although it doesn't look as good as the Samsung, it is still a pretty good player. I use the stereo bluetooth through my car stereo via a Parrot MK6100. I was using a SE phone before, but I couldn't put my whole library on my phone, so I ended up getting the Pilot because it is one of the only DAPs with expandible memory and stereo bluetooth.

Regarding stereo bluetooth quality, I have not noticed any quality loss by using stereo bluetooth. I have gone to Sharper Image where they have the Parrot boombox and compared the stereo bluetooth sound to wire via the aux imput on the Parrot. I think it is great to have stereo bluetooth in the car as I can pass the Pilot to someone sitting in the back of my car and the music will not skip at all. My friends in the back can use the Pilot anywhere in the back seat without the audio skipping.

Old 11-01-2007, 07:40 PM

Default "Playback" time with bluetooth

According to the UK site, when playing audio with bluetooth streaming audio, the play time is reduced to 12 hours (from 25), not to 5 hours.

Old 11-10-2007, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix-X View Post
well for some non-earcovering bluetooth headphones there's these Mototrola S9 http://www.store.motorola.com/mot/en...tProductDetail these look like IEM's. and to add to the good stuff about bluetooth, you can use it instead of your phone in a future firmware update using the P2's built in mic and headphones.
The S9 sounds quit good and works fine not only with the P2 but also with my MDA Pro.
Shine On, Frank

Old 11-10-2007, 04:04 PM

Yes, I have the Motorola S9 and the P2 and it sounds really good (I was surprised). No drop-outs either.