android
Old 10-22-2007, 01:23 AM

Default For audiobook users

I haven't tried audible yet but I wanted this player for audio books. For some reason, some players will correctly read the sequence of an audio book whose format is CD1 with tracks 1-x, CD2 with tracks 1-x etc. Others will play the sequence CD1 track 1, Cd2 track 1 etc. Not very good for audiobooks. The Clip organizes in the latter way. Maybe there's a way to reset the organization but I haven't found that on players that work that way.
The fix I've found for this is to create a playlist for each section of the book. With the playlist, the book plays in the correct order.

So far I haven't gotten the clip to play with overdrive downloads. I am getting an error message when I try to load the books into the clip.

Still delighted with the player in spite of these difficulties.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-22-2007, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpitt View Post
I haven't tried audible yet but I wanted this player for audio books. For some reason, some players will correctly read the sequence of an audio book whose format is CD1 with tracks 1-x, CD2 with tracks 1-x etc. Others will play the sequence CD1 track 1, Cd2 track 1 etc. Not very good for audiobooks. The Clip organizes in the latter way. Maybe there's a way to reset the organization but I haven't found that on players that work that way.
The fix I've found for this is to create a playlist for each section of the book. With the playlist, the book plays in the correct order.

So far I haven't gotten the clip to play with overdrive downloads. I am getting an error message when I try to load the books into the clip.

Still delighted with the player in spite of these difficulties.
Are the chapters ever over 1 hour long? Does it display hours, minutes and seconds correctly if so? What format are overddrive audio book download in (mp3, wma, other)?

Old 10-23-2007, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibion View Post
Are the chapters ever over 1 hour long? Does it display hours, minutes and seconds correctly if so? What format are overddrive audio book download in (mp3, wma, other)?

The audiobooks that I need to use playlists for actually have multiple short files within each cd. So far, everything is accurate- minutes and seconds- when I use playlists.
Overdrive books are the ones available from libraries. They are in wma format. None of the files are over an hour long. I haven't tried to transfer the files again. When I do I'll get the error message and see if there's a solution.

Old 10-24-2007, 04:30 AM

Another audiobook comment: day 4

I've noticed that the way the clip turns off varies. Sometimes when the off button is pressed there is a "goodbye" message. When I restart, the clip starts playing the book exactly where it left off.
Other times it simply shuts off with no closing message. At those times, the clip returns to the beginning of the playlist instead of where it left off. The files in the playlist are small so that it's not really a problem. With larger files, losing the ending place would be pretty inconvenient.

Old 10-26-2007, 03:43 PM

Ipitt,
can you shed more light on the OverDrive issues with the Clip? I use OverDrive now and it is a requirement for me. Are you using latest OverDrive SW (i.e. v2.0.1?). What version of OS are you using? Have you done any mods to the driver/registry that might interfere? Whatís the exact error message? Sorry for probing you so. Itís just that the Clip is at the top of my list for a DAP and if it wonít work with OverDrive, then Iíll have to find an alternate. L My hope is that you find a workaround and let us know.
BTW, I also share Sibionís view that the HH:MM:SS timer display must function correctly, as most OverDrive files are longer than an hour. Hmm, is it possible that this timer is the reason for the incompatibility?

Old 10-28-2007, 05:35 AM

I haven't rechecked overdrive yet but in answer to your other questions, I've made no changes to either overdrive or to the clip. I'll post the error message tomorrow. The only possibility I can think of is that I bought the player at best buy and they've somehow tweaked it so that it works with best buy downloads. Maybe firmware will be released to get rid of that.

Old 10-28-2007, 08:47 PM

Overdrive info: I'm using the most recent version which works fine on my sansa 240.

Error message is this:Unable to transfer the selected title because(insert3) returned 0xCOOD2772

I can't find help for this online.

Old 10-30-2007, 02:19 AM

Another piece of info: Playing a long audio book, when the timer reaches 60 minutes it begins again with 0 instead of moving ahead to show number of hours.

Old 10-30-2007, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpitt View Post
Another piece of info: Playing a long audio book, when the timer reaches 60 minutes it begins again with 0 instead of moving ahead to show number of hours.
I have been reporting this problem since I got the clip on this forum and a very detailed explanation on the Sandisk Clip forum hoping that someone from Sandisk actually reads the forum. They claim (Sandisk Tech Support) that this is now a bug they are working on. Here is a link to my long write up on Sandisk forum.

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/boar...p&thread.id=31

SIBION

Old 10-30-2007, 01:42 PM

Default Netlibrary/Overdrive/Other Audibook Users (not Audible)

If you use NetLibrary, Overdrive or other audiobook services that do not use the Audible format and the time does not display properly (hours do not increment). Please go to this thread and make note of your issue. The current stance by Sandisk is that the Clip doesn't support files over hour (they will play but the time will not be accurate). If you are having this issue and would like it fixed, please post a brief comment such as "I have this problem too" in the thread referenced.

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=clip&thread.id=31

SIBION

Old 11-01-2007, 01:32 PM

Default Trust Sansafix

All,

There have been a number of responses at the link I posted from the official Sandisk forums website. Sansafix claims that it will be fixed so I will just wait and hope for the best. They seem to understand the issue after much research and several conversations with Tech Support. So after pushing for answers I am inclined to believe that Sandisk is very aware of the issue and are working to fix it. We just need to wait for the firmware upgrade and it should be fixed.

Patience is a virtue that I conveniently overlook on a regular basis.

SIBION

Old 11-07-2007, 02:49 PM

Are there bookmarks on non-audible files?

I bought a Creative Zen V Plus to use for audiobooks because of how bad the Sansa e280 was for books the way I was using it (no bookmarks, long fast forwards if I happened to lose my place in a book, etc). The Zen doesn't bookmark a whole play list, so at this price point I still might buy one if: 1) they support bookmarks, 2) they fix the long file size problems 3) I can be assured that Overdrive drm'd WMA files will work (although right now it's not that big a deal with FairUse4WMV out there... 4) it consistently works the same when turning the player off. On my Sansa e280, it behavied differently if I just hit pause vs power, so you may want to make sure you always do it the same if you aren't.

As to your playlist problems on CD books, I've had that problem as well with different players, and it has to do with the track number that the players use to order them sometimes. I've taken a whole book and pulled it into a program called mp3tag and set consecutive track numbers for a whole book (along with changing the CD title to the same thing...ie no CD1, CD2, etc). I recently did this with a huge 600+ file book and it seems to work just fine.

Old 11-18-2007, 06:19 PM

With the new upgrade, the clip works fine with overdrive.