android
Old 10-21-2007, 06:14 PM
ABI Founder

Default Use Clip in MSC (UMS) Mode Without Registry Hack

To force the Clip into MSC mode switch the player to Hold, then hold down the center button and plug it in.

-thanks to sibion for rounding up this info.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-06-2007, 09:50 AM

Default Sync to Clip in MSC?

If I copy songs to the Clip while in MSC mode, how do they get added to the Clip's database so that they are displayed for playing? Is there a "refresh database" option, or do I need to reboot the Clip, or ... ?

And is there any conflict with songs that have been synced to the Clip in MTP mode?

Thanks in advance.

Old 11-06-2007, 10:26 AM
Visiting troll from Pocketables

Prob builds DB on startup, shouldnt be any difference form mtp

Old 11-06-2007, 11:10 AM

If some Sansa Clip owner could actually confirm this, I'd appreciate it, as I'm considering getting a Sansa Clip and I'd like to be able to sync songs using both MTP and MSC.

Old 11-06-2007, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PromisedPlanet View Post
If some Sansa Clip owner could actually confirm this, I'd appreciate it...
Hey, Enzo confirmed it by stating it in this thread and btw a friend of mine did it the other night as well

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 11-06-2007, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
Hey, Enzo confirmed it by stating it in this thread and btw a friend of mine did it the other night as well
Are you referring to this thread? Enzo confirmed that the Clip can be put into MSC mode, but I was hoping to confirm that the Clip's database gets updated with songs copied to it via MSC. Thanks.

Old 11-06-2007, 05:15 PM

This did not work for me with the charging/transfer cable under linux. However with a normal transfer cable it automatically went into UMS. With the included cable it only charged.

Old 11-12-2007, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PromisedPlanet View Post
Are you referring to this thread? Enzo confirmed that the Clip can be put into MSC mode, but I was hoping to confirm that the Clip's database gets updated with songs copied to it via MSC. Thanks.

I can confirm that. Although file location for MSC and MTP modes is different, after Clip gets disconnected it updates db no matter in which mode it was in

Old 11-12-2007, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawindyk View Post
I can confirm that. Although file location for MSC and MTP modes is different, after Clip gets disconnected it updates db no matter in which mode it was in
Thanks for your reply. I just got my new Sansa Clip yesterday, and confirmed this too.

It's a really nice player ... I'm very impressed. Well constructed, easy to use, good sound quality, great deal for the price. And a non-proprietary USB cable! Woo hoo! Good job Sandisk.

Old 11-12-2007, 02:18 PM

Quote:
it's pretty dumb though that the MTP directory is hidden from MSC mode. that prevents me from running mp3gain on the files from MTP mode which i would prefer since it refreshes those sooo much faster

Old 11-13-2007, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnzoTen View Post
To force the Clip into MSC mode switch the player to Hold, then hold down the center button and plug it in.

-thanks to sibion for rounding up this info.
I was hoping that new firmware will add MSC but although there is new USB mode menu it contains only MTP and Auto ...

Old 11-13-2007, 02:57 PM

Just got my Clip today, plugged it into my Win2K computer, and dragged music onto it.

I haven't tried it on XP/Vista yet, but MSC mode works as expected on my non-MTP aware OS - without the hold/button trick.

EDIT: works fine on XP with the button trick, also with the stock cable. Recognized as Sansa M350.

Old 11-15-2007, 06:10 PM

What's the advantage of changing it to MSC mode? What mode is it already in by default?

Old 11-16-2007, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smg1138 View Post
What's the advantage of changing it to MSC mode? What mode is it already in by default?
In MSC mode You can access Clip as a drive - You don't have to synchronize or drag&drop. By default it's in MTP mode

Old 11-16-2007, 06:45 AM

Quote:
I was hoping that new firmware will add MSC but although there is new USB mode menu it contains only MTP and Auto ...
Hmm, you're right.

Anyone have any insight into what "Auto Detect" means, given that the default mode of the player is MTP, and there's no way to force it into MTP if MTP isn't supported on the system to which the Clip is connected? If I saw "MSC" on this menu, it would make more sense.

Old 11-16-2007, 08:51 AM

Indeed, that setting does not make any sense at all, I just tested it.

On WinXP, set to "Auto Select", of course it uses MTP.
However, on Win2K, set to "MTP" (not "Auto Select") - it still uses MSC.

Old 11-17-2007, 06:55 AM

From the Sansa Forum:

Quote:
Use MTP mode to make it work in "Plays From Device" mode on the Xbox. The XBox would not enter MTP mode in "Auto Detect setting". For PC usage Autodetect is fine.
In Plays From Device, the XBOX will be able to navigate and play the Clip's Content, even DRM protected stuff from Rhapsody!

Old 12-10-2007, 02:33 PM

This thread is obsolete as of firmware 1.01.18, where user selectable MSC mode has been added.

Old 12-30-2007, 09:27 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Actually, not yet obsolete, as some people need the trick to get into MSC mode so as to be able to put the .18 firmware on their players, so as to be able to set the players for MSC mode ... A chicken and the egg scenario, until all players already come with .18 and higher firmware.

Old 12-30-2007, 09:39 PM

I can see where some people may still need the information, but we should close it, done.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Closed Thread