android
Old 03-23-2008, 07:25 PM

Default can't boot to original firmware

After I installed the rockbox on my rhapsody player everything was going fine until one time I tried to plug in my sansa to my computer and it booted into the original firmware, but instead of saying 'connected' it tried to do the whole refresh database. it does that until it gets a 1/4 of the way done and the screen either blanks or goes blue and green and looks really weird, its just messed up. I tried again and again even without trying to plug it in and the same thing happens. the rockbox still works but i can't add any songs or anything. does anyone know what i should do?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-23-2008, 07:56 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Crystal* View Post
I tried again and again even without trying to plug it in and the same thing happens. the rockbox still works but i can't add any songs or anything. does anyone know what i should do?
It sounds like either a corrupt database or a corrupt mp3 file. You will need to reformat in recovery mode and start over:
  1. Turn off the Sansa, if it is not already off. If needed, hold the power button for 20 seconds to force it off.
  2. Slide the hold switch so that the orange is showing.
  3. Hold the REC button on the side of the Sansa.
  4. While holding the REC button, press the power button.
  5. After the SanDisk logo appears, it should say "Welcome to Recovery Mode".
  6. After this appears, the REC button may be released. If the Sansa turns on normally, it is most likely because the REC button was not held in far enough, and these steps must be repeated.
  7. Place the sansa.fmt file (an empty file named sansa.fmt) in Recovery Mode. Please note placing this file in Recovery Mode will format your Sansa. That means it will delete all the music that is stored on the player itself.
  8. Remove the Sansa, and wait for it to format.
  9. Turn off the 'hold' feature and restart the Sansa (if needed) and
  10. check to see if issues have been addressed
Charles

Old 03-25-2008, 10:00 AM

*Crystal*,

Going on your very first post, I'm thinking there's something wrong with the flash storage - perhaps the OF.mi4 file is corrupted and won't load, properly. I would try recovery mode again (as cpchan mentioned) to get it back to its default OF settings, and then I'd try a low-level formatting tool. Lastly, I'd run it without Rockbox for a week or two, to see if your original "disappearing files" problem goes away.

The problem with the Rhapsody is that it needs that OF.mi4 to exist in the SYSTEM folder - if your flash storage is having problems, that file is vulnerable to corruption. Good luck!

Old 03-25-2008, 10:48 AM
Zune Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpchan View Post
You will need to reformat in recovery mode and start over:
Don't format in format in recovery mode!

Old 03-25-2008, 02:21 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruleworld View Post
Don't format in format in recovery mode!
That is why I listed the steps clearly- a direct cut and paste job from the Sandisk site.

Charles

Old 03-25-2008, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpchan View Post
That is why I listed the steps clearly- a direct cut and paste job from the Sandisk site.

Charles
*Crystal* has already done a recovery, once before. But, it's always a good idea to reiterate - don't format while in recovery mode! Wait until the player is back to it's original state before doing that.

Old 03-25-2008, 08:39 PM

thanks for all the suggestions, i haven't had the chance to do anything because my sister took the mp3 player for the week, since it still plays music. this rhapsody pos has been giving me problems ever since I got it and even though I followed everything closely on the rockbox website, it still isn't working right. the disappearing files stopped but I've formatted this thing so many times that a new problem just comes up every time I try to reinstall everything