android
Old 10-18-2007, 08:23 PM

Default Audible support in e200v2 not in e200.

Y'all might remember how much I've wanted Audible Ready support on the e200's ... in May of 2006 I bought a new e260 and just supposed they'd get around to a firmware update, but the Support folk seemed dumb about it, really, and I wonder how much they knew back then concerned with what's going on now ...

Take a peek at the Audible Device page for SanDisk products and feast your eyes on something only available to "version 2" e200 devices.

http://www.audible.com/adbl/store/de...&showDType=mp3

Yes, we were the G.Pigs that bought something shiny with hopes and dreams that we'd get to listen to our Audible purchases on said shiny thing, we paid a high price compared to what the shiny2 thing sells for now (or will be selling for according to Sandisk's site) -- they pay less and get what WE continue to ask for, Audible support.

I'm not sure what direction I'll go in. My e260 (2006) player may very well be practically bricked from the washer (if I can't "connect" ever again it's just a radio/voice recorder with no normal way to get any recordings OFF of it, FWIW, but as a radio it's super )

and I don't really care to have it in working order since it still wouldn't be able to play Audible files.

So I can find a v2 e280 that costs less than my e260 cost me in 2006. And it would play Audibles.

I'm not sure to do that, or look at some other brand now. It's not because I washed my e260, no, I don't want it fixed for free or anything, it's just the ridiculousness of them releasing something to the market as an IPOD KILLER and us really believing it and then having to beg for the Audible support and getting nothing but run-around-sound-bites from them, and now they put out a NEW version of the e200 and .... urg!!!!!

I found this thread on the sansa forum:

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/boar...cending&page=2

This person says they talked to Support about it and that there won't be a firmware update -- I assume they are talking about for our old e200's there won't be a firmware update for Audible support.

I just "feel" like they think all us Audible "e200-owning" members will just up and buy a new Sansa now.

Maybe it's time to find a decent player that actually bookmarks. Don't get me wrong, I have loved my e260, previously to this week. It's been a great little player. I imagined it would have a long life, but that I would get something else that was pretty and Audible friendly again (my Palm Zire 31 was great for this, but died an orange-blob-blue-screen-death.)

I'm just sad that they will support Audible in most every player they have, and only will do so with the e200's after their initial market run, and won't or can't do a firmware update for audible support. I, for one, would like a decent explanation of why not, but I'm not going to contact them since:

1. My player is inoperable now
2. I hated every response I got from them in 2006, rude, rude, rude.
--Sansa M230 used exclusively for Audible.com (but now I use my Palm Treo 755p for Audible.)

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-18-2007, 09:41 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I would contact audible and ask them what an e200v2 is. I don't believe such a player exists since all e200's use the same firmware.

How To Remove the Hebrew Beta firmware

Old 10-18-2007, 11:56 PM

There are three explanations for this "V2"...

They are referring to:

1. The e200R or Rhapsody which can be found at Best Buy
2. The New Sansa View players that are coming out
3. I don't know what they are uh...you get the picture.

Oh and your Sansa is bricked by a washing machine? You may want to take her (Sansa) apart and (like the natural "dryer") let them sit somewhere safe to dry off.

By the way...you might also want to try the Rockbox mod for the e200 series. I'm not sure if it supports Audible, but I believe there is a way to do it...which can be found on this forum?

Old 10-19-2007, 05:43 AM

Default Bricked Rockbox Audible

Quote:
Originally Posted by USS Sovereign NCC-73811 View Post

Oh and your Sansa is bricked by a washing machine? You may want to take her (Sansa) apart and (like the natural "dryer") let them sit somewhere safe to dry off.

By the way...you might also want to try the Rockbox mod for the e200 series. I'm not sure if it supports Audible, but I believe there is a way to do it...which can be found on this forum?
I wrote another post earlier about my e260 washing machine encounter ... I have taken it apart and dried it and done all sorts of things firmware fix-y. The only thing I haven't done yet is to get a can of cleaner stuff to see if that helps.

Since then I can only connect to the computer with my e260 in Recovery Mode. When in USB --> MSC or MTP mode, I connect the cable to the computer and the e260 "freezes" or "hangs" or whatever you want to call it, and the device only shows up in Device Manager as an "unknown USB..." and isn't available in My Computer or Disk Management (I have Win XP.) I can charge my device by inserting either end of the cable into the appropriate place partially, with the other end fully inserted. (i.e. usb end in PC, sansa end partially in; or usb end partially in PC, sansa end fully in.)

Therefore: I can't use Rockbox. Also, there is no way to use Audible on my player since I can't put ANYTHING on it at all, except for firmware in Recovery Mode. FWIW.

As far as "getting Audible to work on the e200's" most every way I've seen I'm just not interested in since I want to just get the Audible books on my player the Audible way (download to my pc and then sync to my device) which is why I was bummed when the e200's actually couldn't do Audible and so I did get a little Sansa m230 just for Audible books, but want to have my music, videos, and books on the same device with a nice GUI (and even bookmarking, something like my prior Palm Zire Audible interface.)
--Sansa M230 used exclusively for Audible.com (but now I use my Palm Treo 755p for Audible.)

Old 10-19-2007, 06:26 AM

Default e200v2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaughter View Post
I would contact audible and ask them what an e200v2 is. I don't believe such a player exists since all e200's use the same firmware.
Quote:
Originally Posted by USS Sovereign NCC-73811 View Post

They are referring to:

1. The e200R or Rhapsody which can be found at Best Buy
2. The New Sansa View players that are coming out
3. I don't know what they are uh...you get the picture.
Who knows if it exists, but on Audible's site they have it listed as e200v2 and I can't test it with my e260 since my player won't connect. (They also list the c200v2 there ... FWIW, and all other Sansa's are listed straight without any 'v' anything.)

I also know that in the past the answers we on this forum have separately gotten regarding Audible support of e200's was so strange, it is possible that the first run of e200's have some flaw that makes it not possible to enable Audible, or it's a purposeful design and they didn't want to admit it, but with the stink that we and others put up maybe they've fixed it in a new production of e200's that can play "Audible" files.

In any case, I for one do not care to actually contact them about it currently as I'm still peeved about how they talked to me the other times I contacted them.

Since they do list the e200 and c200 as both with a v2 ... it is suspect, hardware, not firmware or software driven -- though on sandisk's site under firmware updater they do have a distinction between versions for C200's version 1 and version 2 firmware. But not e200, all anecdotal of course, including that I found a blog post about an older Sansa model (e130) that had a bunch of comments, and in those comments someone posted that they upgraded a v1 to a v2 with firmware only. So eventually the truth will be evident when either sandisk clearly posts what's what in hardware or firmware differences or someone can document a difference from a newly bought one in the future, and if it's only really a "firmware difference" then someone will post it and someone will figure out how to get a v1 to be a v2. Maybe.

e200R is not v2, not that I am sure, but it's been out for a while, and Audible only recently put an e200v2 plugin on the site. They also have plugins for all the other new Sansa's so it's not "that" either.

Basically, I'm just curious as to what is actually KNOWN or putting the info out there in case someone ELSE wants to contact them, but I do not wish to contact them. Speculation can be fun, and I've had my fun for the day.

Old 10-19-2007, 07:36 AM

my friend bought an e260 it has a new wheel and new screen cover, looks the same and is still an e260, it also has no liquid metal background, is this a v2?

Old 10-19-2007, 09:08 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangoz View Post
my friend bought an e260 it has a new wheel and new screen cover, looks the same and is still an e260, it also has no liquid metal background, is this a v2?
No one has ever heard of a v2, so probably not. I suspect that Audible has incorrect information on their site.

Old 10-19-2007, 10:03 AM

Lightbulb Picture worth 1000 words

Quote:
No one has ever heard of a v2, so probably not. I suspect that Audible has incorrect information on their site.
You are Wrong about v2 not existing ...

I just found this while poking around Audible's Help section.

Unless Audible is making stuff up ... I offer this picture filled page in Audible help that has a pictures to aide you in determining if you have a c200v2 or e200v2 --and if you do have one of those, then you have "audible compatibility". They clearly state in text at the top of the page that the second generation of c200's and e200's are audible, and backwards compatibility of first generation is not incorporated into that audible-ability.

http://audible.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/...i=&p_topview=1

The picture shows the back of the player, the bottom, where the "model:" number is. The "new generation" of the e200's has the information rearranged, and you can't tell in the pictures if it's a "liquid metal" back or not, the logo for liquidmetal doesn't appear on e200v2 picture do on my player either.

So then, if you have a version 2, second generation e200, the back would say, for an e260:

model: e260v2

but the font has the "2" the same size as the "e" and the "v".

FWIW

Old 10-19-2007, 01:04 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

If there are actually v2 sansas out there, then the hardware is identical, since rockbox runs on all sansas.

Old 10-19-2007, 01:53 PM

So who's got a new enough E200 to tell? My e280 was new in June, there's no 'v2' after the model number.

Interesting ....

Old 10-19-2007, 03:55 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I just emailed sandisk. I will let you know.

Old 10-21-2007, 04:41 AM

I emailed Sandisk also, afterall, yesterday, and haven't heard back yet.

BTW, I have been able to get my e260 to connect to my PC in MSC and in MTP modes now, but sporatically, and it's tied in to when my up and down buttons go wonky. Mostly those up and down buttons don't work now, but occassionally if they are pressed they start scrolling like crazy and it's video poker without the possible big win.

Except that I got the crazy idea to try to connect to the PC after a couple of those crazy scrolling things, and voila, with a tad bit of squiggling the cord into the Sansa it connected fine and stayed connected until I chose to disconnect.

When that crazy scrolling is happening I do have to shut down the Sansa to make it stop, but I can still use the Sansa to listen to music -- if I can get into the Music screens to choose something (all while the device is scrolling crazily) or if I am listening to something already it's not affected by the scrolling, but video playback is halt-ish in crazy scrolling moments. The crazy scrolling doesn't happen unless I try to use an up or down button, so with restraint I'm able to utilize all the functions mostly, and just get it scrolling crazily so that I can connect to my PC. It's bizarre, but it works, for now.

Taking the Sansa apart entirely as much as is possible, there is no moisture apparent and no corruption or corrosion visible, FWIW. I am going to find a can of cleaner to use, was actually in a Radio Shack yesterday but it was more an electronics selling point than a "fix your ..." place in a mall, so I'll try a standalone store this next week.

Old 10-21-2007, 05:14 AM

Default hardware or firmware difference

The v2 e200's must be brand spanking new, and haven't really hit the marketplace yet, with old version 1 still on the shelves. It seems that it's very, very new, just recent, since Audible didn't have it listed at all 2 weeks or so ago. Very few people would have an e200v2 it therefore seems.

Something has to be different with the v2 -- There is: it's Audible compatible for one thing. The back has different printing on it seemingly, and they probably use different parts in one way or another here and there.

So then, if e200v2 is Audible compatible, and they have the same hardware and firmware as the e200v1 models, why can't the e200v1's be inducted into the Audible family?

Seems reasonable to consider that something is very different, and still leads me to think they didn't put Audible into the original e200's on purpose and made the device so that they couldn't make it compatible for some reason. It does make me mad, since I bought my e200 from the Sansa line reputation for being Audible compatible across the board. I'm one of many.

We are just waiting to see what happens since no one has reported yet having one of these absolutely, so we can't ask "what firmware is your v2 reporting" -- for one thing.

All in all this reminds me of the DirecTivo debate ... Home Media Option. They only have to "turn the feature on" in a "software download update" to enable the USB port and the HMO features, but they won't. Standalone Tivo's have that feature. We have two DirecTivo's and are getting a halfway solution sometime in January, according to DirecTv, and we shall see.

SanDisk says they won't make the e200's Audible, or can't, or maybe will at a later date ... they say all those things to us. On their own forums there is more hopeful talk from the moderators just a couple months ago, from what I've read, even more recently than that. All along did they know a v2 would come out with Audible capabilities, just stringing us version 1 owners along? Or what?!

One of the people at SanDisk had told me via email last year on May 24th: "I'm not familar with everything that is required to make the player compatible with Audible, but i'm sure it's more difficult than you think, otherwise we would have done it already."

At that time it smacked of insolence, but now it seems even worse, considering that a year and a half have passed us by and still no e200 Audible firmware fix --- but a new model, in the very line we have asked for Audible to be put on, is "released" with Audible compatibility, with no hope for our earlier version.

Ipod Killer. Hmph.

I can't look at the firware and make heads or tails out of it. Is there are reference to the audible format that would be negated on a e200v1 but enabled on the v2? Maybe a hardware difference that enables Audible compatibility, whereas our e200v1's are null in that capacity, lacking whatever it is, and therefore ... no Audible for our e200v1's.

Old 10-21-2007, 10:16 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Okay, so I sent an email to Sandisk asking them about the e200v2 and they wrote back and denied it's existence. So I replied and explained that it has to exist or Audible couldn't have a picture of it. Here is the follow up response from Sandisk:

Hello Jamie,

Thank you for contacting SanDisk Technical Support.

Please be informed that e200 series does not have version 2 and still does
not support Audibles yet.

The MP3 player that has version 2 on it would be the Sansa c200 series and
it does support Audibles.

Regarding audible.com posting and e200 player with version 2 on it, please
be informed that we are planning to release version 2 of e200 series but we
still don't have an estimate date of release.

Should you have any further assistance, inquiries or concerns, please do
not hesitate to reply to this e-mail.

Best regards,
Christopher P.
SanDisk Technical Support

Old 10-22-2007, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Okay, so I sent an email to Sandisk asking them about the e200v2 and they wrote back and denied it's existence. So I replied and explained that it has to exist or Audible couldn't have a picture of it. Here is the follow up response from Sandisk:

Hello Jamie,

Thank you for contacting SanDisk Technical Support.

Please be informed that e200 series does not have version 2 and still does
not support Audibles yet.

The MP3 player that has version 2 on it would be the Sansa c200 series and
it does support Audibles.

Regarding audible.com posting and e200 player with version 2 on it, please
be informed that we are planning to release version 2 of e200 series but we
still don't have an estimate date of release.

Should you have any further assistance, inquiries or concerns, please do
not hesitate to reply to this e-mail.

Best regards,
Christopher P.
SanDisk Technical Support
Holy Cow! What a load of ...

Old 10-22-2007, 10:16 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Why is it "a load of ..."? They said there is an e200v2 and it will be out later. And I just got a response from Audible:

Dear jamie,

Thank you for contacting Audible.com.

I'd like to offer my apologies for the inconvenience and tardy response. I
understand that you are inquiring about the compability of the Sansa e200v2
series. It will be my pleasure to assist you in this matter to the best of
my abilities.

Since this model has yet to be released on the market, as advised by our
developers, perhaps the information that was relied to you was based on
this. However, we have been given a player from this model for testing
purposes and it does indeed exists (as well as the C200v2). At this time,
we have no information as to when it will be released on the market,
however.

I do hope that I was able to address your issue, but please do not hesitate
to reply to this e-mail if you have further questions or concerns or if you
wish, please provide me with a contact number and the best available time
to reach you. We appreciate your patience and patronage.

For additional questions, how to contact us and hours of operation, please
visit us at: www.audible.com/contactus

Sincerely,
Lydia
Audible Customer Support

Old 10-22-2007, 11:32 AM

Errrrrm, I would reply to Lydia asking what firmware version the v2 player has on it

Cya, Reggie...