android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Headphones

Old 10-18-2007, 04:56 PM

Default Good full headphones or noise cancelling

I have some altec's which sound really good, but they are very large so I don't feel like using them everywhere so I'm searching for the best SQ headphones within a price range of $50-$90.

Any ideas or suggestions??

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-18-2007, 07:22 PM
Ultra Senior Member

What type of music do you listen to?
Do you like sound that is clear and detailed or more full?
How much bass, how much treble?
Open or closed? (open - people around can hear your music, but these phones typically sound better than closed)
Full size or in-ear?

How To Remove the Hebrew Beta firmware

Old 10-18-2007, 11:27 PM

I listen to several genres of music ( Jazz, Rock, Progressive rock, hip hop, world, etc etc)
I prefer clear and detailed sound
Plenty of bass and high treble, but not too bright
Open as my current headphones and in-ear

Last edited by emfa; 10-18-2007 at 11:29 PM. Reason: full size might be too big

Old 10-19-2007, 12:55 AM
Ultra Senior Member

It sound like you want portable phones, right?

Open - PX100 or KSC75. The KSC75s are $15 and equal or beat some phones up to $100 and you will have money to spare If they don't need to be too portable then you could go from some Grado SR60's.

There are a lot of phones in this price range, but honestly after owning a good number of phones, cheap to expensive, the KSC75 is still one of my favorite phones, especially under $100. It may be hard to believe, but it would be the best $15 you ever spent.

Just realized you are not in the US, so I am not sure if these phones and prices would be the same for you.

Old 10-19-2007, 02:59 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Another vote for the Sennheiser PX100's. Great portable headphones.

Old 10-19-2007, 01:29 PM

I don't like that type of headphones -KSC75 aren't my style
I will post a link of an example of headphones I like:

http://www.alteclansing.com/product_...asp?pID=CHP524

Slaughter: You've noticed that I don't live in the US. I live in Central America but I like to do most of my shopping via amazon or buy.com, so the price is the same. I only pay about 6-$15 extra for shipping and tax.

Old 10-19-2007, 01:37 PM

Beyerdynamic DT231 Galactics.

Read on...

Quote:
Blingy color scheme update for the venerable and superb-performing DT231 sealed-back headphone. Great mids & highs detail resolution plus punchy bass response in a lightweight, efficient, affordable, portable-application headphone!
If you only knew how horrific most sealed/closed headphones are, you'd really be amazed at how beyerdynamic consistently delivers very good ones. You'd also probably be blown away that they managed to make a inexpensive pair of sealed headphones that sound as darn good as the DT 231. Though ever-so-slightly lacking in the low-mids, these cans provide clear, non-flabby, well-balanced bass, as well as nicely extended highs that lack the typical harshness found in cheap-o sealed headphones. Additionally, none of the honky mid-range resonances usually found in low-cost sealed headphones is present. That’s a lot of double-negatives, but these headphones are very competent-sounding and whole ton o' fun to listen to. Style-wise, they've jazzed up the plain grey, utilitarian plastic of the standard DT231 with a hipster translucent off-purple color that is actually quite cool-looking. As before, the DT231 Galactic model is outfitted with soft & fuzzy ear pads and fairly small but nevertheless comfortable 'supra-aural' earcups. All-in-all, a real standout in not only "budget" headphones, but in the entire sub-$100 category.

The beyerdynamic DT231-Galactic uses an all-plastic headband design with velour-type material on the earpad cushions; The DT231 earpieces are sized just slightly smaller than those on full-sized headphones but it's probably one of the most comfortable headphones in the entire sealed/closed category. Simple fit/sizing adjustments are provided via a spring-loaded inner headband support made of a soft, rubbery plastic. Did we say this is VERY comfortable headphone, folks! Low impedance and high-efficiency make the DT-231 a good choice for use with all portable audio player applications. They have a 'single-sided' straight cord that attaches to one earpiece, eliminating double "Y" cord tangling. The headphone cord is terminated to a 1/8" mini-plug (3.5mm) and the packaging also includes a full-size 1/4" inch adapter.... And, hey, if you happen to dig the New Orleans jazz-funk band "Galactic", you'll be stylin' at the gig wearing the DT231-Galactic headphone! ...Yeah, baby!

Old 10-19-2007, 01:49 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almoxil View Post
Another vote for the Sennheiser PX100's. Great portable headphones.
I vote for the PX100s also. However, if you can stand clip ons, the KSC75 is good also, especially for its price.

@Almoxil: Now that you have your PX100s for a while, how do you compare it to your PortaPros?

Charles

Old 10-19-2007, 01:51 PM

http://www.amazon.com/Beyer-DT231-DT...2819717&sr=8-1

Are these the same as Beyerdynamic DT231 Galactics??

Old 10-19-2007, 01:53 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emfa View Post
I don't like that type of headphones -KSC75 aren't my style
I will post a link of an example of headphones I like:

http://www.alteclansing.com/product_...asp?pID=CHP524
It looks like the PX100s might be for you. Here is more info:

http://www.headphone.com/guide/by-he...ser-px-100.php

Charles

Old 10-19-2007, 02:02 PM

Quote:
http://www.amazon.com/Beyer-DT231-DT...2819717&sr=8-1

Are these the same as Beyerdynamic DT231 Galactics??

Yep. Just a different color scheme. I have a set and I love 'em. My only fault is that they could be just a tad bit more "punchier" on the bottom end. But I do love my bass. None-the-less, I love 'em, and use them most of the time.

Old 10-19-2007, 02:02 PM

Do they create lots of pressure to the head when using them? This is the main reason why I avoid these type of headphones.. Also is it me or they look like cheaply made?

I know I am being picky, but I have sensible ears and love to listen to my music with the most detail as possible.

Old 10-19-2007, 02:05 PM

They are well constructed. Mostly plastic, but still solidly constructed. And as for pressure, nope, not at all. As others here who use Beyers products can atest to, they are generally some of the most comfy phones around.

Old 10-19-2007, 02:43 PM

Ok, I'll have them in mind. What about JBL, Sony, etc?

Old 10-19-2007, 03:07 PM

Not really up on them. headfi might be a good place to check.

Old 10-19-2007, 03:58 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Another vote for checking out head-fi.org and headphone.com while you're at it.

Old 10-19-2007, 04:11 PM

I saw in .head-fi that many people recommend the Sony MDR7506 Professional Large Diaphragm Headphone ($84). What do you think about them?

Old 10-19-2007, 05:45 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
I saw in .head-fi that many people recommend the Sony MDR7506 Professional Large Diaphragm Headphone ($84). What do you think about them?
[ Headphonereviews.org - Sony MDR-V6 / MDR-7506 ]

They don't seem to be quite portable, judging by the pic. One of the reviewers criticized quality of highs on these cans. Maybe Head-Fi.org has some different opinions on them.

Old 10-19-2007, 05:48 PM
Ultra Senior Member

In my experience, Headphonereviews.org is overly critical of headphones, so check multiple places for reviews. As an example, headphonereviews.org shows a 5.3 / 10 for the Grado SR60. Most people people would score them much higher.

Old 10-19-2007, 06:11 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Some other threads on the 7506's, from Head-Fi.org:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=226592

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=260251

Edit:

Since those Sony's aren't really that small, I guess you could also take a look at the AKG K518 DJ's. They're the same as my AKG K81 DJ's -- after 150+ hours they sound really nice paired with my Cowon D2, although they aren't very good for extended listening sessions (like 2+ hours). The good old K81 DJ's can be found for $66 on Amazon.com.