android
Old 10-16-2007, 03:42 PM

Default Unicode and album art problems!!

I just got my E260 and instantly put on Rockbox. I can't believe how easy and painless it was. Amazing. The themes are pretty great too and the possibilities are endless LOL

But there's one BIG problem that would otherwise make it perfect... no Unicode support. I've recently amassed a large collection of Asian music (Chinese, Japanese and Korean) and it doesn't show the tags on Rockbox. Is there a way I can make them show or does Rockbox not support Asian languages?

Also my embed album art doesn't show, I read something about having a 120 x 120 limit to the album art. Is there a program that can automatically convert my existing album art to the right format?

Other than that, Rockbox is great and I LOVE IT!!!

THANKS SO MUCH!!!!

edit: okay... I found one font that works with Unicode and thus Asian characters... is there a way to permanently apply it to a theme though?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-16-2007, 04:06 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dap_pad View Post
But there's one BIG problem that would otherwise make it perfect... no Unicode support. I've recently amassed a large collection of Asian music (Chinese, Japanese and Korean) and it doesn't show the tags on Rockbox. Is there a way I can make them show or does Rockbox not support Asian languages?
Rockbox does support unicode. You need to change your codepage to unicode in "Settings"-> "General Settings"-> "Display"-> "Default Codepage". You will also need to use a unicode font that contains the characters for the languages that you are interested in:

http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/UnicodeFonts

Quote:
Also my embed album art doesn't show, I read something about having a 120 x 120 limit to the album art. Is there a program that can automatically convert my existing album art to the right format?
The stock Rockbox have no support for Album Art- you will need to use a custom build that includes the album art patch. Even with the patch, embedded album art is not supported at this point. Here is a guild for using album art:

http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/AlbumArt

You can use RockAA:

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=14961

to download the art work.

Charles

Old 10-16-2007, 07:35 PM

Thanks! I found a theme that supports unicode, Sky2 I think it's called. One quick question though, is there an "auto resume" feature in Rockbox where every time you time on your e200 it resumes playing music automatically, instead of clicking through the main menu first.

Old 10-16-2007, 07:57 PM

This helped me out alot for album art resizing...Just make sure you have a .bmp in each folder, and it will make a jpg one! You can even change the size to your likings...

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=20510

Welcome to the club...what impulsed you to buy a e260? Aren't they under $100 now?

Edit: Are you Dap pad from dapreview? Lol, I hope your not some impersinator...I would think you would already have an account on here. Its alot more active here, also.

Old 10-16-2007, 08:13 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Thanks! I found a theme that supports unicode, Sky2 I think it's called.
Unicode support doesn't really depend on the theme. However, some themes have a font specified in the the theme file which might not be unicode or support your language. It cases like that all you have to do is to set your own font via:

"Settings"-> "Theme Settings"-> "Browse Font".

Quote:
One quick question though, is there an "auto resume" feature in Rockbox where every time you time on your e200 it resumes playing music automatically, instead of clicking through the main menu first.
"Settings"-> "General Settings"-> "System"-> "Start Screen"-> "Resume Playback"

Charles

Old 10-17-2007, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpchan View Post
"Settings"-> "General Settings"-> "System"-> "Start Screen"-> "Resume Playback"
Thanks I like this option.

Old 10-17-2007, 03:44 PM

Wow thanks for the reply. It's really helpful. Ya I'm the dap_pad from DAPreview LOL

I got my e260 cause it was dirt cheap for $27 and I really wanted to try out Rockbox

Well another question, SORRY!!! How does playlists work on Rockbox. I can't seem to save them on the Sansa. It gives me some "PANIC" message and I have to reset it everytime by hold the POWER button? Is it possible to make playlists on the computer then transfer them to the Sansa?

Oh and is it possible to put a wallpaper on the Rockbox even when using a theme?

Sorry for all the questions, but Rockbox is just so fun to explore and learn LOL

Old 10-18-2007, 06:03 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Well another question, SORRY!!! How does playlists work on Rockbox. I can't seem to save them on the Sansa. It gives me some "PANIC" message and I have to reset it everytime by hold the POWER button?
Strange, how did you try to save the playlist. Which build are you using?

Quote:
Is it possible to make playlists on the computer then transfer them to the Sansa?
Yes, Rockbox uses standard m3u and m3u8 (m3u with utf8 encoding) playlists.

Quote:
Oh and is it possible to put a wallpaper on the Rockbox even when using a theme?
Yes, navigate the file browser to the bmp file you want to use and set it as the back drop via the context menu.

Charles

Old 10-18-2007, 06:25 PM

I'm using your build, cpchan LOL it's give my some PANIC message... even when I'm trying to create a playlist in the "Playlist" menu and even when I'm trying to save it by first navigating to the "Now Playing" then Playlist options...

And when I tried to use the m3u playlist that I made via WMP and MediaMonkey... I gave me a "File not Found" message... how can I get it to work?

Old 10-18-2007, 06:36 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
I'm using your build, cpchan LOL it's give my some PANIC message... even when I'm trying to create a playlist in the "Playlist" menu and even when I'm trying to save it by first navigating to the "Now Playing" then Playlist options...
Strange, I can't reproduce that. For my regular build, make sure the "Playlists" directory exist. If you are using my menu build it is "Playlist"

Quote:
And when I tried to use the m3u playlist that I made via WMP and MediaMonkey... I gave me a "File not Found" message... how can I get it to work?
Sounds like a path problem. Please post one of m3u files created.

Charles

Old 10-18-2007, 08:47 PM

The exact message the e200 gives me is "*PANIC* Dir Entry 15 in sector 0 is not free ! 69 00 6C 00". After I get this message, my e200 freezes and i have to hold the power button for around 20 seconds...

I'm going to try another m3u playlist to make sure first, if not I'll just post one of mine and see if other people can work it.

THANKS!!!

Old 10-18-2007, 09:00 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
The exact message the e200 gives me is "*PANIC* Dir Entry 15 in sector 0 is not free ! 69 00 6C 00". After I get this message, my e200 freezes and i have to hold the power button for around 20 seconds...
Looks like a filesystem error. Run scandisk/chkdsk on it.

Charles

Old 10-20-2007, 07:07 PM

ok, will do the scan disk. Also... sometimes... around 20% of the time, when I open a music file via the Resume feature after turning it off, it gives me the "Codec not found for *enter filepath here*" message... but after a reboot RB will play the file again...

And sometimes it just plain doesn't play, but everything looks normal except nothing is coming out of the headphones jack. What's wrong with my Rockbox???

Old 10-20-2007, 07:17 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
ok, will do the scan disk. Also... sometimes... around 20% of the time, when I open a music file via the Resume feature after turning it off, it gives me the "Codec not found for *enter filepath here*" message... but after a reboot RB will play the file again...

And sometimes it just plain doesn't play, but everything looks normal except nothing is coming out of the headphones jack. What's wrong with my Rockbox???
Strange, never had these problems. Try deleting the ".rockbox" directory (folder) and do a fresh installation.

Charles

Old 10-20-2007, 09:59 PM

Ya... I think so thing is seriously wrong with my Sansa...

Old 10-21-2007, 03:58 PM

Quick question: will any Sansa e200 work with Rockbox? I'm thinking of buying another one from Best Buy in Toronto...

Old 10-21-2007, 04:15 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Quick question: will any Sansa e200 work with Rockbox? I'm thinking of buying another one from Best Buy in Toronto...
The short answer is yes. However, I believe Bestbuy only sells e200r these day. The "r" models will work with Rockbox also, but, the installation process is still a bit convoluted.

http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/vie...0RInstallation

Charles

Old 10-21-2007, 06:45 PM

Ok... I reinstalled RB and scandisk-ed my e200... it's working a little better. I can at least save my playlist now... but I'll have to make sure if all the files work during these few days. Hopefully that fixed it.

Oh and is there is a way to apply a background even on the "Now Playing" screen when using a theme? I can't seem to do it...

But thanks for solving all my problems, I really appreciate it.

EDIT: BIG PROBLEM!!! I just installed the "patch" to view Asian fonts in the OF using the instructions and files from this link: http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ead.php?t=1988

and now my E260 won't boot into Rockbox!!! What do I do? How can I reverse the process?

EDIT2: found a solution... I just re-installed the Sansa Patcher and it worked...

Old 10-21-2007, 06:55 PM
Rockbox Developer

You can use any BMP with a 176x220 resolution that is in the backdrops dir. Just mark that file, press down to get in the context menu, and select "Set as backdrop".

For having that background in the WPS you need to edit the WPS file at the line where %X is written. Just substitude that line with this one: "%X|/../../backdrops/<filename>.bmp|0|0" (without the quotes).

Old 10-21-2007, 07:11 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
?found a solution... I just re-installed the Sansa Patcher and it worked...
One correction. You used sansapatcher to reinstall the bootloader. One did not install sansapatcher.

Quote:
Oh and is there is a way to apply a background even on the "Now Playing" screen when using a theme? I can't seem to do it...
Kugel already answer that. However, I would like to reiterate- please read the manual.

Glad that everything is working for you now.

Charles