android
Old 10-03-2007, 02:49 PM

Default from 01.03.01G to rockbox?

hi

My E270 currently runs with the beta firmware (I don't know if that's the hebrew one so I'm a little confused). Could anyone help me with changing it into the Rockbox? Can it brick the player?

thanks

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-08-2007, 02:57 PM

You should probably ask this in the Rockbox section.

Old 10-08-2007, 09:14 PM

Thread moved to Rockbox forum.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 10-09-2007, 02:47 AM
Rockbox Developer

There's this nice manual you could try reading...

Old 10-09-2007, 03:45 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicman View Post
My E270 currently runs with the beta firmware (I don't know if that's the hebrew one so I'm a little confused). Could anyone help me with changing it into the Rockbox? Can it brick the player?
Just follow the instructions in the manual. However, I don't believe the Rockbox bootloader supports autobooting into the OF when the USB cable is inserted for the Hebrew firmware yet. You will need to hold the << button.

Charles

Old 06-09-2008, 06:59 PM

I was having problems with MSC mode, so as a final resort, I nuked the whole thing in Recovery Mode with the Beta 1.03 firmware, and Format upon first load.

I think checked to make sure MSC mode worked again (it did). Then I used the GUI to load Rockbox, and the Sansapatcher which should add the bootloader.

The player still boots directly (and I mean less than a second) to the Sansa OS screen it was left on. It doesn't seem to be recognizing the Rockbox bootloader at all.

Old 06-09-2008, 07:25 PM

OK, now I finally feel like I have something valueable to contribute!

I tried Recovery mode booting to see if I could downgrade the firmware back fromt he 1.03 Beta. I can confirm that Hold+Rec+Power definately does not do anything under 1.03 Beta.

However, I think turned Hold off, and just held Rec+Power. The player immediately booted into the new Sansa "barking dog" animation, and then Rockbox loader AND FAST. I mean really fast. Turned it off and on a few times normally (not pressing any other buttons). It will now normally load to the barking dog, then into Rockbox. It's very fast.

OK, one last thing. Plugging in with Rockbox on does not automatically reboot to the Sansa OS like it used to (for me anyway). It looks like I have to turn it off, and plug it up when off. (It will then go to the Rockbox bootloader to bypass, and into the Sansa OS). MSC seems to be working fine.

M... OKay. Gotta tell you guys, I'm getting some weird results. Now after copying some songs, it will only boot into Sansa OS again. Tried Hold+Rec+Power, nothing, zip. Tried Rec+Power and it immediately boots into Sansa OS and starts recording.

I'm stumped. Rockbox is in here somewhere I'm sure. I just gotta play around with it. I hope someone else is trying all this too.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:04 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Sounds like you need to do RCM's ultimate fix with the beta firmware preload.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:40 PM

Can you link to that?

How can I do anything if I can't boot into Recovery Mode? Hold+Rec+Power does nothing.

Old 06-09-2008, 09:08 PM
Ultra Senior Member

It could be that you are not doing recovery mode right.

Anyway, here is the fix: http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=15424

Old 06-09-2008, 09:18 PM

As I suspected, the instructions there are old hat. I have used Recovery mode before updating to the Beta 1.03 firmware.

That series of steps no longer works. If you do the button combo Hold+Rec+On (which used to prompt you to plug in the cable) nothin happens now- nothing. If you Hold+Rec and plug in the cable, it just boots to normal connection mode.

Are you using Beta 1.03 firmware? If not, why are you so sure I'm doing it wrong?

Old 06-09-2008, 09:27 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I have converted my e200R to an e200, but I think the e200R firmware is more stable then the e200 firmware for the short time I used the e200 firmware. I did try the one Beta firmware, but I was still able to get into recovery mode. Plus you do not need to be in recovery mode to do a firmware upgrade.

Old 06-09-2008, 10:37 PM

Well, I was reading the instructions you linked to.

Where are you going to put the firmware file if you can't access the 16mb drive?

Old 06-09-2008, 11:45 PM
Ultra Senior Member

You put it in the root of the Sansa. You might have to mount/connect it in MSC mode. It has been a while since I tried the Beta firmware. If I remember right to get into MSC mode, turn on "Hold", then hold the |<< button, and then plug in the USB cable. I do not remember if you need to the Sansa on or off for those steps.

Old 06-10-2008, 01:13 AM

Well, I had everything great until I few hours ago. Sometimes I get the "dog" screen and sometimes it just boots FAST into the Settings or Music screen. (whichever it was left on). Last time I got it to boot to Rockbox- I had put the SDHC card in just to shake things up.

Now, I got me a card reader at Wal-Mart and loaded up the SDHC. After all that, now the Sansa won't show up on the PC at all. When I attach it, it charges, but no USB action at all. I tried MSC mode, and "auto detect", which are the only two options now. Whether I connect it on, off, MSC, auto, SDHC in, SDHC out... no USB beep, and no USB device shows up at all. Not even Generic Volume.

With this new Firmware, anything you do with the Hold switch on is a waste of time. Nothing happens, period, as long as that switch is on. Now- I've had it boot to the
"dog" then Rockbox AFTER I try the Hold combos.... Like I try it, get nothing, then switch Hold off and just hit the power button like normal. This is intermittent, sometimes it does it, sometimes not.

If I push the SDHC card in while the Sansa is off, it turns it on automatically. When I disconnect it from charging, it shuts doen automatically. Everything just feels completely random; and I really thought I had it all fine a few hours ago. As long as I had the SDHC in, it would boot to the "dog" then Rockbox. Now- bupkis.

Old 06-10-2008, 06:53 PM

Lightbulb Try this

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunyen View Post
Well, I had everything great until I few hours ago. Sometimes I get the "dog" screen and sometimes it just boots FAST into the Settings or Music screen. (whichever it was left on). Last time I got it to boot to Rockbox- I had put the SDHC card in just to shake things up.

Now, I got me a card reader at Wal-Mart and loaded up the SDHC. After all that, now the Sansa won't show up on the PC at all. When I attach it, it charges, but no USB action at all. I tried MSC mode, and "auto detect", which are the only two options now. Whether I connect it on, off, MSC, auto, SDHC in, SDHC out... no USB beep, and no USB device shows up at all. Not even Generic Volume.

With this new Firmware, anything you do with the Hold switch on is a waste of time. Nothing happens, period, as long as that switch is on. Now- I've had it boot to the
"dog" then Rockbox AFTER I try the Hold combos.... Like I try it, get nothing, then switch Hold off and just hit the power button like normal. This is intermittent, sometimes it does it, sometimes not.

If I push the SDHC card in while the Sansa is off, it turns it on automatically. When I disconnect it from charging, it shuts doen automatically. Everything just feels completely random; and I really thought I had it all fine a few hours ago. As long as I had the SDHC in, it would boot to the "dog" then Rockbox. Now- bupkis.
Try searching the forum using "1.03 firmware"

there are a couple of threads which may have some usefull info for you. (maybe you have already done this.)

Too much for me to try to sort through

Old 06-13-2008, 09:11 AM

Here is the solution for downgrading the 1.03 "hebrew" beta firmware, if you cannot get your player to boot in Recovery mode.

1. You CAN copy the .18 or .24 firmware into the root directory and it will revert to the old firmware.
2. The reason it won't work if you just copy them is 1.03 will not recognize the old file names. You simply need to rename the .18 or .24 version firmware files to names that the 1.03 beta firmware will recognize.
3. Rename the files Firmware.mi4 and pribootLoader.rom
4. Now you can copy them to the root of the Sansa (if you can't get Recovery mode to start) and reboot and you will be downgraded to the old firmware.