android
Old 10-02-2007, 01:16 PM
ABI Founder

Default Toshiba T400 Sound Quality and Quick Review

I picked up a T400 and it sound beautiful, very rich very full sound- it will without a doubt run with any Cowon product.

There is an issue im having with system noises. There are many screeches and background fuzz when operating the interface. I think i have resolved the problem by turning off the interface effects such as sounds and menu animation.

Build quality is fantastic. Solid and very well constructed. Shows finger prints like mad though.

The interface is "Windows Portable Media Center". Technically, its not WPMC since MS killed that off. But its Windows CE but functions exactly like WPMC. The interface is very easy to use. However, it definitely needs some dedicated volume buttons.

One thing that may really kill this player is the lack of capacity options. Only 4GB ATM.

look for a full review... when i get around to it... =)

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-06-2007, 10:46 AM

Looking forward to it.

Old 10-06-2007, 11:21 AM
Zune Moderator

Good basic reveiw

Old 10-18-2007, 06:51 PM

mine just came from walmart .

SQ impressions: i believe i finally found a device with vid playback that will run with my JVC Alneo 500 player. I will have to do some testing between them but the t400 sound excellent.
EQ always set to flat

Old 10-21-2007, 11:29 PM

Enzo I think you may have sold me on the T400! I've spent the last 3 days demoing the Creative Zen and I'm a little underwhelmed by its sound quality. I found the low end to be a little muddy and the user EQ lacks the subtlety to make the proper adjustments. Worse yet, the maximum volume setting isn't really that loud -- My PX100's get WAY louder on my Z5. Maximum volume on the Zen was the equivalent of around 3/4 volume on my Z5. I don't use IEM's so my question is this:

Can the T400 drive larger/full sized headphones? (Grado SR80's to be sepcific)

I'm looking forward to your review!

P.S. How would you compare the SQ between the Sansa Clip and the T400?

Old 10-22-2007, 06:22 AM
ABI Founder

I dont know about larger headphones, but probably not. It doesn't drive my HD650's but nothing really does. It seems to have about the same power as any other MP3 player, it should be pretty comparable to the the Z5 in terms of power.

The T400 is clearer more particularly in the highs compared to the Clip.

BTW, the T400 is selling for $80 at some online shops.

Old 10-27-2007, 07:23 PM

Hi, newbie here but long time audiophile.... looking for an mp3 player and my top choices are the T400 or the Cowon D2. May I please have your opinions on which to choose? My primary concern is sound quality. I don't necessarily mind the 4GB capacity of the T400 since as of right now I have ZERO video saved on my home computer and 4GB isn't that small an amount of space for storing just 256 kb VBR mp3's, IMO. The T400 price is also attractive - I could easily justify buying another MP3 player a year from now and not mind putting aside the T400 that I paid $120 for. On the other hand, the D2 is pretty neat - I'm also a gadget kind of guy and its features appeal to me although I would have to get into the whole portable video thing since it currently doesn't do much for me. I'm looking to use the MP3 player more often blindly and not when I have time to be watching movies. I guess I'm looking for a reason to go Toshiba when Cowon is typically regarded as having the higher sound quality and the D2's features are just so cool.

Thanks!

Old 10-28-2007, 11:13 AM

just sq i would go with the T400.

Old 10-29-2007, 01:01 PM

I just want to say this device is amazing! I can't even listen to my i-touch anymore. The T400 is so clear and crisp, but at the same time very dynamic and warm. I purchased this on Enzo's recommendation, and boy I'm a happly camper. The build quality is top-notch, the buttons all feel very nice and even though the finish is shiny, it seems very scratch reisitant. I must say it is a very good looking in person ( I got the orange) very sexy. The screen is amazing, very sharp and a good size for such a small dap. But the sound is what stands out, like I said the sound is amazing!

Better than any dap I have heard from the headphone out. That includes clix 2, nano 3g, cowon d2, samsung p2, sony nw a818, and even the $400.00 10 gig kenwood! This player has the cleanest out-put of all I have tried, absolutly zero hiss with my shure e500's all others I tried hissed to some degree. This dap will be my "serious" listening dap from now on! My one and only complaint would be the 4 gig capacity, if toshiba ever increase this, the T400 would be my "perfect" dap. O.k maybe add gapless too Oh, and I am a long time reader of this fine site!

I allmost forgot about the best part, I got this little gem for $ 79.00 from J and R music! I think it's 99.00 dollars now, but still a great price for a 4 gig video player of such amazing quality.

Old 11-05-2007, 02:46 AM

Does the Gigabeat T400 Series have a custom equalizer, or does it only offer preset EQ options? (Rock, pop, jazz, etc.) I'd be curious to know how it compares to the new Sony Walkman players (S610 and A810 series), which reportedly sound quite excellent as well.

Old 11-05-2007, 07:09 AM
ABI Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHQ View Post
Does the Gigabeat T400 Series have a custom equalizer, or does it only offer preset EQ options? (Rock, pop, jazz, etc.) I'd be curious to know how it compares to the new Sony Walkman players (S610 and A810 series), which reportedly sound quite excellent as well.
The T400 only has preset EQs.

The 615 and 815 sound really good, but the bass sounds muddy and something i cannot get the EQ to fix. Its only a 5 band with a bass boost.

I would still pick the T400 over the Sony 615 and 815.

Old 11-05-2007, 11:08 AM

I should be receiving my T400 this Friday, I've never written up a real review of an mp3 player before but I'd be happy to post my opinions of the Toshiba once I've given it a good listen. I can't wait to get it!

Old 11-11-2007, 02:56 PM

I've been looking into the t400 as it is both inexpensive and supposedly has excellent sound quality. But the only problem is that I don't like the fact that the t400 is so hardcore integrated with Windows Media Player. I'm personally not a big fan of Windows Media and was wondering if it is possible to sync the t400 with other media players such as Winamp or Quintessential Media Player without too much hassle.

Old 11-11-2007, 03:21 PM
ABI Founder

it will sync with any mtp based media player Winamp included

Old 02-10-2008, 08:03 AM

I picked the T400 up back when it 1st came out, and appreciate that it's really just a smaller/flash version of my S60 (Great Sound Quality/K.A. GUI Included ), but MAN! Those Fingerprints Are/Were A Serious Pain!

Solution: Paint It With Something That Doesn't Show Fingerprints... In My Case, I Gave It My 'Signature' Polished Stone Finish.

Additionally: I Transfer All Of My Media Files To My T400 Via Win Vista Drag N' Drop - No Muss/No Fuss!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dav's Toshiba T400 001.jpg (52.7 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg Dav's Toshiba T400 002.jpg (69.3 KB, 46 views)

Old 02-10-2008, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yugnat View Post
Hi, newbie here but long time audiophile.... looking for an mp3 player and my top choices are the T400 or the Cowon D2. May I please have your opinions on which to choose? My primary concern is sound quality. I don't necessarily mind the 4GB capacity of the T400 since as of right now I have ZERO video saved on my home computer and 4GB isn't that small an amount of space for storing just 256 kb VBR mp3's, IMO. The T400 price is also attractive - I could easily justify buying another MP3 player a year from now and not mind putting aside the T400 that I paid $120 for. On the other hand, the D2 is pretty neat - I'm also a gadget kind of guy and its features appeal to me although I would have to get into the whole portable video thing since it currently doesn't do much for me. I'm looking to use the MP3 player more often blindly and not when I have time to be watching movies. I guess I'm looking for a reason to go Toshiba when Cowon is typically regarded as having the higher sound quality and the D2's features are just so cool.

Thanks!
If Sound Quality Is Priority One (of The DAP Units Mentioned In This Thread):

Cowon D2 - Without Peer, Undoubtedly One Of The Finest Sounding DAP/PMP Units Ever Conceived (and Can Drive Almost Any Earspeaker w/o Amping!).

Toshiba T400 - Limited Capacity Aside, This DAP Sounds Brilliant & Happens To Be Great Value.

SandiskSsansa Clip - Superior Sound In Miniature (Though Not On The Sonic Level Of The Aforementioned)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dav's Sound Quality Champs 001.jpg (105.5 KB, 46 views)

Old 03-11-2008, 08:48 AM

My T400 drives my Alessandro MS1s just fine. Volume sits at the high end of the scale, but it will go loud at full volumes. I usually listen to it at about 16 - 18 out of 20. Sound is not degraded at this level. I like the sound & it & the Sansa Clip are comparable in SQ. The preset EQ settings attenuate various frequencies & don't appear to boost any. Consequently, all the settings are at a reduced volume level when compared to the or normal setting. Normal sounds way better than any other setting, so it's safe to say that the unit has no EQ choices except maybe if your phones are extremely efficient & need the attenuation offered by the other settings. This is a very enjoyable unit to operate & listen to. It just feels, works & sounds right. At $80 it is a steal! What would make it better? More storage capacity, SD card (for those times when you want to add a new album, but can't decide which one to remove to make space), Gapless playback (should be an MP3 standard) & lossless file support (but only if the capacity is increased). I rate the T400 & the Sansa Clip equally in most categories with the Toshiba winning in the beauty, touchability & feature departments. When the T400 is displaying full screen album art, it is a very attractive looking gadget.

Old 04-30-2008, 04:55 PM

Default cowon d2 vs. t400

I interested in the player with the absolutely best sq.
From what I've read it's between the t400 and the cowon d2.

Which player has the best sound quality between these two?
If there is another that has better sq than these two then please state which one.

When will the t800 is scheduled to be released in the u.s.? Will it have options
like fm radio or line-in ability?

Thanks!

Old 05-03-2008, 11:18 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Cowon D2/iAudio7 with the EQ feature and sound enhancements is a great player. The T400 sounds great without eq engaged. The clip and Fuze also sound spectacular w/no eq enhancements but the T400 has a better screen and interface than the two. It comes down to a choice of EQ or not.

Last edited by The DarkSide; 05-26-2008 at 08:05 AM.

Old 09-22-2008, 05:26 PM

Default Volume control?

I've been looking all over for an answer--if the T400 has no dedicated volume buttons (which really seems a shame), how is the volume controlled? Do you have to access a menu or something? How easily/quickly can one turn up/down the volume? Personally, I need a player that can has pretty quick volume control on the fly.

Thanks in advance to any potential responders (looks like a while since anyone has posted on this thread).