android
Old 09-30-2007, 04:45 PM
Rockbox Developer

Default kugel branch

kugel.'s build

;;

Today, on the 12th of December, I announce that I discontinue my work on my custom build. After a bit more than 1 year I decided to retire from custom building. A period of a more featured - at the cost of many and not so many instabilities - custom build stops.

The reasons are as follows mainly:

I can't afford the time it takes anymore, since sync'ing patches is a rather time consuming procedure, which isn't fun at all. Time that I simply don't have anymore, since I have started studying and focus more on doing stuff for SVN.

I'm not willing anymore to anymore to offer customized builds for a relatively small user group. That said, I rather focus on helping improving SVN, so that not only users of my build will take advantage of that, but the whole community.

Serving a small island in the big Rockbox world isn't my thing anymore.
I simply want the whole community to take benefit from my contributions.

I also bought a Fuze, with both eyes focused Rockbox on it, which is great fun and very interesting. I learn so much doing this. Thus I'm not able to keep this build up, while helping to port Rockbox to a new player. And once it's ported, I won't be able to offer a custom build for either players (and especially not both).

Also, my goals have changed. Instead of doing a special build for me and you to please us, I rather spend my free time on help improve the whole project. Rockbox is a great project, so my aim is to contribute to that project, and not doing forked work which doesn't help the project as a whole at all. My build is simply not helping Rockbox, it even works against it, not just by splitting the user base.

SVN has advanced so much recently (many plugins have been committed, bmp resize committed and more), the need (at least for me) for a customized build vastly decreased. In my opinion it's not worth it anymore to waste time on a custom build anymore if the SVN does as fine and that much more reliable.

Anyway, I hope you have enjoyed my build. And I hope you may follow me and contribute to the SVN, for example by posting bug reports and helping to translate. You can be sure that contributing to SVN (and not using a custom build) is the right way to keep the project alive, healthy, and improving.
---------------

Last edited by kugel; 12-12-2008 at 08:11 AM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-30-2007, 05:02 PM

Seems like exactly what I need! I'll install in like 2 seconds and post if my opinion/questions.

! C:\Documents and Settings\ADMIN\My Documents\Renders\Photoshop!\Random (not photoshop)\rockbox.zip: The archive is either in unknown format or damaged

.zip isn't a unknown format, so it may be damaged...you are german, correct? Maybe your computer handles it differently than a english os or something.

Old 09-30-2007, 05:29 PM
Rockbox Developer

Redownload, I made a minor update just as you downloaded it :/

Old 09-30-2007, 05:50 PM

Thanks for sharing kugel, the more the better.

You plan to include your patch about the keymaps? Would love to have that here as well.

Old 09-30-2007, 05:52 PM
Rockbox Developer

Ooops, thanks for mentioning it.

Acutally they are included, I just forget to put them into the list

Old 09-30-2007, 05:53 PM

Looks good so far...I can't find the theme WVA, though.

Building database atm

Old 09-30-2007, 05:58 PM
Rockbox Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by infamous16 View Post
Looks good so far...I can't find the theme WVA, though.

Building database atm
Well, you are right. Somehow it didn't find the way into the build. Don't know why though. I'm gonna add it in the next version. Of couse, you can add it yourself.

Old 09-30-2007, 06:01 PM

Good job. Made it a Sticky.
Headphones: Technics RP-HT300 | Panasonic RP-HT202|JVC HA-FX55
Sansa Rockbox Themes: KratoGlass|KratoSky|KratoJet|JetoKrat

Old 09-30-2007, 06:06 PM
Rockbox Developer

Oh cool. <3

Old 09-30-2007, 06:51 PM

Well, I highly recommend this build, everything you need...and nothing you don't!

I like the Cowon theme alot, too.

Thanks for the build!

Old 09-30-2007, 07:02 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
# FS#5153 - Doom Scrollwheel Patch
# FS#5899 - Custom List/Menu x/y coordinates and width
# FS#5153 - Record Button Configuration
Typo?

Also, it might be better to link to a build with the font pack/doom, and one without them. When people go to update, it may become annoying for them to need to download ~10MB of stuff they already have on their Sansa

If you use Linux, make a directory with only the fonts/doom (without the build added) and then do "cp rockbox.zip rockbox.all.zip" and "cd (directory with fonts/doom); zip -r ../rockbox.all.zip" which should merge both together. Sorry if that's a little confusing

Old 09-30-2007, 09:32 PM

so do you need to download the source code patch AND the actual build for the preinstalled patched to work? I'm still confused as to how to download these builds without losing your current settings (as in how you can switch between your current rockbox settings and the build without the build replacing the rockbox folder in the sansa). I really like the way this build sounds and I want to try it out, could someone help me out?

Old 10-01-2007, 03:14 AM
Rockbox Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjs162216 View Post
Typo?
Fixed. Rec button patch is FS#5555

Quote:
Also, it might be better to link to a build with the font pack/doom, and one without them. When people go to update, it may become annoying for them to need to download ~10MB of stuff they already have on their Sansa
Actually, I planned to make an update version for the next release. No need for a not-full-package on an initial release

Quote:
If you use Linux, make a directory with only the fonts/doom (without the build added) and then do "cp rockbox.zip rockbox.all.zip" and "cd (directory with fonts/doom); zip -r ../rockbox.all.zip" which should merge both together. Sorry if that's a little confusing
Cool, thanks for the hint. I'm gonna try that. I allways searched a way to merge zip files on linux.

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfer777 View Post
so do you need to download the source code patch AND the actual build for the preinstalled patched to work? I'm still confused as to how to download these builds without losing your current settings (as in how you can switch between your current rockbox settings and the build without the build replacing the rockbox folder in the sansa). I really like the way this build sounds and I want to try it out, could someone help me out?
Most likely you will only need to download the actual build. The "mypatch.diff.zip" is only 1 file which contains all my changes in source code format. If you aren't willing to compile (or change) my build on your PC, you don't need to download it.

You can either save a config.cfg in settings -> manage settings to save your settings (I have allways a config.cfg saved in the root directory in case I need to make a clean install), or you can just (as normal) extract my build on your sansa clicking "overwrite existing files"

Old 10-01-2007, 06:13 AM

Very nice job
finally a build that can handle all the rockbox themes properly (after almost a month of cpchan and chrisjs builds down) and hopfully get updated regulary.

Old 10-01-2007, 07:15 AM

I tried the build and I like it. The new keymap though doesn't work on my Sansa. When I press the REC + Play/Pause the line doesn't finish and REC + Submenu doesn't work either as backspace. Am I the only one with this problem?

Old 10-01-2007, 08:13 AM
Rockbox Developer

It's working for me. Maybe try it again with releasing the rec button between.
I agree, it needs some optimization.

How do you like the keymap in general?

€dit: I updated the patch to improve the rec+up/down behavior.

Old 10-01-2007, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kugel View Post
It's working for me. Maybe try it again with releasing the rec button between.
I agree, it needs some optimization.

How do you like the keymap in general?
Dammit, it works now.
I like the idea but since I am a "hardcore WPS coder", I edit a lot of WPS's directly on the player so I got used to the old keymap. But I like the new one better. Great job.

EDIT: You have to press both buttons simultanously and release them both at the same time. It would be better if you could keep the REC button pressed and then press the Play/Pause or the Submenu button.

EDIT2: The backspace feature delete always two characters, not one.

Old 10-01-2007, 08:52 AM
Rockbox Developer

I updated the build, it should be better to use rec+up/down now.

Old 10-01-2007, 02:07 PM

it would be nice to include the battery-scaling patch (to be able to set a custom max runtime for battery left calculation).

also you should remote the reboot option from the shutdown menu, because it doesnt work.

and it would be nice to have a .rockbox directory when unzipping instead of having a rockbox directory.

Old 10-01-2007, 02:58 PM
Rockbox Developer

I just checked the archives, in both there are .rockbox directorys. It must be your unzip program (I've heard about a bug with winrar, where reinstalling helped).

For the battery-scaling patch. I don't find it very useful, as I never needed the time left calculation. I'm not gonna include it until there are some more people wanting it.
I'm gonna remove the reboot option in the next release.

Closed Thread

Tags
build, custom, e200, kugel, rockbox, simulator