android
Old 09-27-2007, 11:33 AM

Default Vision M Vs. Zen

some questions, are Flash based player suppose to be better? cause their are no moving parts like a HDD? also one last thing, does the Zen display colors and videos better then the Vision M? ty!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-27-2007, 02:28 PM

Flash is more reliable and and does not require the energy to spin up the drive etc. So better battery life too. Plus quicker!

Zen Vision M has 260k colors

While the Zen has 16million. I'll let you decide on which one has a better screen

Old 09-27-2007, 06:42 PM

One has minute storage and the other has passible amount of storage. (And not everyone can afford to pay hundreds of dollars to get SDHC cards)

Old 09-27-2007, 08:41 PM
Ultra Senior Member

for the time being, ZVM knocks the Zen out the ball park.

Old 09-27-2007, 08:44 PM
Banned

The ZVM does not knock the Zen out the ball park. Try again. Look at actual facts.

1) The Zen has 16 million colors, compared to the 260,000 on the ZVM
2) The Zen has a battery life double that of the ZVM
3) The Zen has an SD card slot
4) The Zen has better controls

To me it seems the Zen knocks the ZVM out. The ZVM is also clunky... extremely clunky compared to the Zen.

Old 09-27-2007, 08:52 PM

but none of that matters because all I care about is storage space. in that regard, to me, the new Zen is worthless. As for controls, my inline remote controls like a champ.

Old 09-27-2007, 08:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naked Eskimo View Post
but none of that matters because all I care about is storage space. in that regard, to me, the new Zen is worthless. As for controls, my inline remote controls like a champ.
Whatever. The Zen is not worthless for the average user, or the enthusiast. HD players are for a niche. And the ZVM was doing poorly in the market.

Old 09-27-2007, 11:11 PM

Dont forget that the zen's xvid and divx support is only for 320x240 videos, it cant handle 720x576 like the ZVM can.

Old 09-27-2007, 11:33 PM
Banned

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by klumsy bot View Post
Dont forget that the zen's xvid and divx support is only for 320x240 videos, it cant handle 720x576 like the ZVM can.
Doesn't matter when the quality is horrible in the zvm (260,000 colors compared to 16 million).

Old 09-28-2007, 02:56 AM

I have to agree. Even with the better specs, 16gb is not enough storage for me. So what if you can expand it with SDHC cards. SDHC cards are still very expensive, and they max out at 8gb right now. I think I will hold out to see what happens at CES, before I decide on a replacement for my ZVM. One thing is for sure though Ipod is not even a consideration.

Old 09-28-2007, 06:07 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giancarlo View Post
The ZVM does not knock the Zen out the ball park. Try again. Look at actual facts.

1) The Zen has 16 million colors, compared to the 260,000 on the ZVM
2) The Zen has a battery life double that of the ZVM
3) The Zen has an SD card slot
4) The Zen has better controls

To me it seems the Zen knocks the ZVM out. The ZVM is also clunky... extremely clunky compared to the Zen.
1. If you really care about picture quality, you should play a high quality video on a tv. - o wait! the new zen can't handle divx above 320x240, and it doesnt have a/v out!
2. I recharge every night. I dont need 45453228 hours.
3. The ZVM has 30-60GB(possibly more with HD replacement) and an a/v out / line out. plus you can use an AC charger which works alot quicker than USB.
4. Thats not a fact.

so, as I was saying, for the time being, the ZVM is better to/for me.

Old 09-28-2007, 06:56 AM

To me, the new Zen just seems half-baked...sure there's an SD card slot, but that memory is read as a completely separate entity on the player rather than being seamlessly integrated into the player's storage capacity. On top of that, it's not very good for video because of the lack of A/V out and limited DivX/XviD support; besides, 262,144 colors are enough for me, anyway. It's the difference between 65K and 262K that really counts.

The Zen Vision:M is just a freakin' solid player, and if Creative wants to come out with a legitimate replacement, they're going to have to work harder than this.

Old 09-28-2007, 06:56 AM

I'm not sure but all my friends own hard drive based DAPS not flash players so i hardly consider hard drive players a niche.

As for the ZVM's screen being horrible, have you actually seen it? Its beautiful and just because its 16.7m colours does not make it horrible. I hope you don't become a reviewer.

And theres really no point having the best screen the world so you can watch your 20 min video clips (due to lack of free space) with low resloution and no tv-out.

Old 09-28-2007, 10:23 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Page

I strongly believe that the Zen Vision:M and the Zen are very different products made to cater to specific demographics, so I don't see the point in arguing about which is best. For me, best is the one that fulfills the specific need I have.

I for one have the Zen Vision:M, and while it's not as light and small as my other players (all flash based), it has plenty of storage space, thus allowing me to carry a huge portion of my albums, and even some high-quality DVD rips from my collection to watch through the TV out. I don't use it during my workouts or commutes, but it's very good when I travel and want to have some live concerts and movies handy.

The Zen, IMHO, is made to cater to a more active user. This user wants the player as thin and light as possible, with precise tactile controls, while still retaining the ability of play videos on a great screen.

I agree with Jebus about ZV:M's screen, though: it's very clear and bright, and definitely one of the best (if not the best) 260K-color screens on hard disk players.

Only my $0.02.

Old 09-28-2007, 10:33 AM

I think they need to drop the price on the 4GB Zen player to one hundred. Honestly i thought they were going to make the Vision M better, should have made it slim, a little better screen and thats it! the player itself is awesome

Old 09-28-2007, 10:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
1. If you really care about picture quality, you should play a high quality video on a tv. - o wait! the new zen can't handle divx above 320x240, and it doesnt have a/v out!
2. I recharge every night. I dont need 45453228 hours.
3. The ZVM has 30-60GB(possibly more with HD replacement) and an a/v out / line out. plus you can use an AC charger which works alot quicker than USB.
4. Thats not a fact.

so, as I was saying, for the time being, the ZVM is better to/for me.
Well that's fine by me. I have a Zen Vision:M 30GB... the black one. It has served me well, but its time for something better. And I know for a fact that the Zen is a better product. The quality on a zen is better video wise. That's a fact. The Zen has a better battery life for those of us who often forget to recharge.

Perhaps the ZVM is better for you. And there is a chance Creative might introduce a improved ZVM (maybe the ZVM Extra lol)... but the entire market is refocusing itself on what the mainstream wants. Even Apple did this. The mainstream wants leaner devices... flash based devices.

16GB is quite a bit of space, and more than enough for the mainstream user. I simply look at market numbers, and the ZVM simply wasn't doing enough for Creative. The ZEN is not bad nor is it half baked. It's a fine product with excellent features, and in my opinion it's miles ahead of the ZVM.

Jebus: I never said the screen on the ZVM was horrible. If it was, I wouldn't own it myself. I would of looked at another player at the time. I bought this player two weeks after it came out. I simply know that it is time for a replacement. And there is a noticeable difference between 260,000 colors and 16 million colors. And the resolution on the ZEN is not low, nor is it bad. And you can have SDHC cards to put movies. 20 minute videos? hahahah. Where are you getting this misinformation from? Some SDHC cards go up to 16GB...

Old 09-28-2007, 11:30 AM

yeah but the Cost of SDHC is crazy..near 200 bucks for like 4 or 8gb? might as well make a player that just stores itself. like comparing it to the Ipod, no one is going to buy the nano. They turned it ugly, it plays video but hardly any space? most people will get the ipod classic, with 80GB!!!! I mean a 8GB nano cost 200 same as the Zen. the 16GB cost 249, same price as the ipod classic 80GB. I'm not a Apple fan but creative dipped on the Zen i think. A price drop to 100 bucks for the 4gb is more reasonable

Old 09-28-2007, 11:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiKh22 View Post
yeah but the Cost of SDHC is crazy..near 200 bucks for like 4 or 8gb? might as well make a player that just stores itself. like comparing it to the Ipod, no one is going to buy the nano. They turned it ugly, it plays video but hardly any space? most people will get the ipod classic, with 80GB!!!! I mean a 8GB nano cost 200 same as the Zen. the 16GB cost 249, same price as the ipod classic 80GB. I'm not a Apple fan but creative dipped on the Zen i think. A price drop to 100 bucks for the 4gb is more reasonable
200 bucks for 4 or 8GB? Huh? Are you sure about that? I mean I was just on newegg the other day.

This 4GB SDHC A-Data is $28...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211067

I have one of those already... its peanuts.

This 8GB SDHC Pny is just about $70...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820178151

When storage is this cheap it makes sense. And you can put lots of videos on both cards. Entire TV shows if you wanted and still have space.

And I'm comparing the Zen to the itouch, not the nano. But I agree with you that the nano is horribly ugly. It looks awful and I hate those stupid commercials they have for it... the theme song is so retarded.

Old 09-28-2007, 04:11 PM

I think the Zen only takes certain amount of SHDC cards. Even though they list it takes others...

Old 09-28-2007, 04:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiKh22 View Post
I think the Zen only takes certain amount of SHDC cards. Even though they list it takes others...
Actually they work with pretty much all SDHC cards. My friend tested several 4 and 8GB ones... pqi, pny... other ones...

From what I have heard the Zen actually accepts 16GB SDHC cards too.