android
Old 12-27-2006, 07:52 AM

Default PC not recognising Clix

Hello All,

I'm hoping you can help me. This morning I tried out my brand new iriver Clix (very snazzy) and all worked fine. My computer recognised it, I used Windows Media Player 11 to transfer lots of music, photos and videos over successfully. This evening I tried to connect to it again and when I connect the Clix my computer makes a sound of three rapid "bongs" and it is not recognised as being connected.

Does anyone else know of this problem and how I rectify it?

I'm very sad and frustrated that I can't work out what to do (no suprises to anyone who knows me well - I'm rather technologically challenged).

I look forward to hearing from someone on what I can do.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-04-2007, 04:35 PM

Restart the computer, then make sure you're not using a front USB port... only the back ones. If you're still having problems then you can check device manager (with the clix connected): right-click My Computer > click Properties > click Hardware tab > click Device Manager button

You should see a Portable Devices category in the list. Expand that and you should see your clix. Right click it and click uninstall. If you can't even get to this point then you might want to try updating the firmware on another computer.

My Deviant Art page - they make great wallpapers

Old 01-12-2007, 11:47 AM

Default I have same problem here are more details...HELP

I tried what gorcops suggested by did not help. Here is my situation.

I bought new on 11/27/06 my Clix 4GB player. Worked normally until recently.

I originally had WMP 10 and the Clix worked fine. I installed WMP 11 from your CD. Clix worked fine, but I did not like some features of WMP 11 and rolled back to WMP 10. Now Windows does NOT recognize that the Clix is connected!!! I connect directly to the Motherboard.

When I first connect the Clix to USB there is a pop up immediately that says iriver Clix. Then I get a window for the Found New hardware Wizard.

then after Windows finishes looking, I get a window that says Cannot Install the Hardware, then a small window by the clock that says "problem occurred during installation..hardware may not work". The Clix does not work.

Device Manager shows yellow ? and !; Properties for the iriver clix shows "drivers for the device are not installed".

I have uninsatlled and reinstalled; rolled back and reinstalled WMP 11. Still can not install needed drivers. I understand that WMP provides the drivers needed by Clix, but WMP does not provide them.

What to do? Can't reach iRiver by phone..have waited over 2 hours no response. I believe the Clix is working fine (I plugged to a laptop and it was recognized). The problem is getting drivers installed "somehow"

Help!

Phil

Old 01-12-2007, 12:52 PM

Ok, here's a couple things you can try. Uninstall the not working drivers from device manager... again. Then uninstall whatever media player you have on right now, 10 or 11. Restart your PC, don't plug the clix in yet. Install windows media player 10 since that's the one you want. Now before you plug in your clix again, run windows update. You can do that by going to www.windowsupdate.com (you have to do this from internet explorer as other browsers don't work on this page). Since you just installed 10, it should have quite a few updates for wmp. Just follow the directions to update it all then restart your pc again. NOW you can try plugging in your clix and see what happens.

If you're still having problems, then you might have to restore your PC to a time when it worked. Go to start>accessories>sytem tools> system restore. Restore computer to an earlier time. Here you can click on days when your pc did system checkpoints which it should do automatically. Pick a place when you know it worked fine, like before you went to wmp 11.

Old 01-12-2007, 08:54 PM

Default Followup to Gorcops Suggestion

I appreciate your help. I did what you suggested & completely uninstalled WMP 10 and 11; reinsatlled WMP 10, etc. Bottom line: Clix not recognized because drivers are not installed.

I stumbled across this thread from mysticriver Forum
http://www.misticriver.net/showthread.php?t=45579

which addressed my problem. Check out Post #10 and #12. A relevant excerpt:

"I found something that may help you.

First, the device install is not your normal driver install you are really just reregistering a device to the Windows Driver Foundation - User-mode Driver Framework. Think of this as downloading a flash application and needing macromedia to run it. With that said there is a link to the Framework earlier in this thread.

I believe the id of the Clix device was updated from the time iRiver initial passed the information or Microsoft made and error in entering into their WMP setup programs.

One note Clix installed on a third machine without this fix, but this morning I discovered is installed not as a clix device, but another MTP device with a similar id.

-------------------------------

Inside the WPDMTPHW.INF file there is a listing for the iRiver devices, but the id for Clix is not included. This is the file that determines how to install the drivers.

If you double check your setupapi.log file you will see the device_id the Clix your computer sees. For the two computers I have installed my clix on; the id was USB\VID_4102&PID112A .

When I added this id to the list of iRiver devices listed in the .INF file, performed a driver update for the device everything worked perfect.

-------------------------------

WPDMTPHW.INF is in your $windir$\inf folder. This resolves to c:\Windows\inf or C:\winnt\inf on most windows machines. Do not confuses this with wpdmtph.inf which is another file in this folder. The two files work together, but you only add the line to the file in all caps with the W at the end.

To double check which id you device is sending to the machine look in setupapi.log (at the end) to see what id was used for the last failed device install. This file is in $windir$\ so c:\windows or c:\winnt."

I checked and did not have in my Windows\inf Folder the file WPDMTPHW.INF!!!! It was missing. I asked a friend who has XP Prto SP2 on his PC to send me his copy of the INF file. I added the id information of the above thread and added the file to the inf Folder, rebooted, etc. STILL THE CLIX WAS NOT RECOGNIZED. Darn it!!!
The thread #12 Post is a different approach

"I had an installation issue on my Win XP Pro machine not recognizing this MTP device. The error stated "Service installation in this INF is invalid". For those of you that may experience the same, my error was solved by doing the following:

Download Windows Media Player 11 or use the WMP11 file from your CLIX install CD .

With a program such as WinRAR or WinZIP extract the file "wmp11-windowsxp-x86-enu.exe"

There should be a few EXE files:

wmp11.exe - Windows Media Player 11 Program Files
wmfdist11.exe - Windows Media Player 11 Distribution Pack
umdf.exe - User-mode Driver Framework (THE IMPORTANT ONE!!!)

1) Uninstall the the CLIX via device manager, this ensures the bad MTP driver is not running.
2) Run umdf.exe that you extracted (see above)
3) RESTART your computer

4) Reconnect your CLIX USB

There is NO need to uninstall or reinstall WMP11"
__________________________________________________ __
I did exactly what he suggested and still the Clix was not recognized.

I checked my Restore Points and there is not one before Clix arrived...mea culpa/never again.

The problem seems directly related to XP's ability to install the drivers for the Clix. The WPDMTPHW.INF and its corresponding PNF file may be the key???

Any good ideas?

Phil

Old 01-13-2007, 12:34 PM

Default For the Record...Clix still not recognized by XP

I asked a member of this Forum to privately send me a copy of his wdfumdf.inf & pnf files so I could see if replacing mine with his would files would do the trick.

Made sure Clix was uninstalled in Device Manager, rebooted, connected the Clix and NOT RECOGNIZED!

I have tried everything suggested, replaced key XP USB driver files (the only ones I know about from this thread...there must be more somewhere) and have failed to get Clix recognized.

I have been waiting 3 days for a response from Clix Tech Support....phoning Clix hoping to contact a human is like an impossible dream...so my "last" hope is for Clix to tell me how I can reinstall the USB driver(s) required for Clix to be recognized.

Phil

Old 01-13-2007, 06:19 PM

Default In Case You Are Wondering If Clix Is The Problem

I connected the Clix to another PC and WMP10 recognized the Clix and I transferred files to it.

I also opened Explorer and dragged & dropped a file to it and vice versa, so Clix is working perfectly.

Any great new ideas on how to "fix" XP's inability to install the Clix drivers needed for a USB connection?

Phil

Old 01-13-2007, 06:25 PM

That's really odd... I'm not sure how the service packs work, but you might want to try reinstalling sp2 if you can.

Old 05-29-2007, 05:02 AM

Default I can't sync my clix with my computer.

I already had wmp11 and already installed the software that came with my clix. But when i connected my clix the "found new hardware" pop-up. And it said

" There was a problem installing this hardware. An error occured during the intalliation of the device. The system cannot find the file specified."

What should i do?

Old 05-29-2007, 05:46 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Sounds like an MTP driver issue. Hopefully you will be able to use this method:
  • 'Start, Run' type: 'devmgmt.msc', enter.
  • Expand (+) Portable Devices
  • Right click on 'iriver ...' and select 'update driver'

Old 05-29-2007, 07:48 AM

Thank you for ur reply, but i did as u wrote and it still happened. It still said the same thing. Is there another way?

Old 06-01-2007, 06:45 AM

Default i have a problem sync irivr clix with my cmputer

i use wmp10. i installed the software it came with clix. i connected the clix. i clik sync with wmp. It said "Window media player does not detect a portable device. Connect your portable device, and try again" I already connected it. In the device manager it also had iriver clix. But why wmp can't see it?

Old 09-22-2007, 12:55 PM

So - Nobody has been able to crack this nut yet? I'm having the exact same problem here and cannot find a way to make my XP install my CLIX correctly. The OS sees it and pop-ups "iRiver Clix" - "MTP Device" But at the end, it doesn't actually install (Code 18)...

I would love to flash the firmware to the most recent version but I cannot because the iRiver firmware flsh utility doesn't "see" the clix either...

Great -