android
Old 09-16-2007, 01:20 PM

Default Some F2/U3 questions

Well I'm considering getting an F2, and I had some questions:
1) This is a more of a general question..how many albums can you store on 4GB? According to my calculations, an average CD ripped at 320kbps has about 100MB, correct me if I'm wrong..that means -/+ 40 albums on the player..of course I don't expect to get exactly 40, but does this sound reasonable?
2) I'm comparing the F2 to the U3 and couldn't find any differences (4GB versions), they even go for the same price here..I'm guessing there isn't much of a difference in sound quality between the two, so it's basically what seems more comfortable..I like the F2 for it having only buttons instead if a joy stick - more durable - but I've read some people complain about the on/off switch faulting..any comments on that one?
Then again, I've had an Iriver IFP-799 for 2-3 years now (it has a joystick), and it works like new..
3) Is it possible to transfer files FROM the player to the PC? I iRiver doesn't allow that..

That's all for now..thanks in advance.

Last edited by Almoxil; 09-16-2007 at 06:36 PM. Reason: member wrote "may" instead of "many" in the first item of the list

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-16-2007, 06:45 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Page

Hello, and welcome to ABi!

As for your questions:
  1. Your calculations seem correct. You can fit approximately 40 albums ripped as 320 kbits/s CBR MP3 files in 4 GB (I can fit between 38 and 41 albums on my 4 GB Zen V Plus). If you want to carry more albums and have the original CDs, you should consider ripping them to 192 kbits/s VBR MP3 files, using EAC and LAME. This is said to be the best compromise between sound quality and disk space, and you should be able to store more albums in the available memory.
  2. I can't comment on the particular on/off switch issue of the F2, since I don't have it, but Cowon players usually have excellent sound quality, so I don't think you'll find much difference between the two models in this respect.
  3. Yes. They're UMS devices, so when you plug them to your PC, they'll show as thumb drives, and you'll be able to copy files to the player and from the player. There are no restrictions.

Old 02-18-2008, 02:20 AM

One notable difference is that the F2 supports gapless playback while the U3 does not.

Old 02-18-2008, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edub View Post
One notable difference is that the F2 supports gapless playback while the U3 does not.
I never heard of any Cowon player supporting gapless playback. This can't be true.

They sure would announce this feature way more if the F2 really were gapless - I mean, it's the one single feature EVERY player except the new iPods, the Trekstor Vibez, and Rockboxed players are lacking (not to mention old Rio players).

I would be very surprised if the F2 would be the only Cowon playing gapless...

http://iaudiophile.net/forums/showth...hlight=gapless

Old 02-18-2008, 09:45 AM

edub is WRONG. the F2 doesn't support it. i had the F2 for a year. the off/on switch issue is due to the users. you have to take care of Cowon products! i had no issues with it. but the F2 does have crossfade. which is only noticed at resuming a track.

Old 02-18-2008, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FURR View Post
but the F2 does have crossfade. which is only noticed at resuming a track.
You probably mean fade-in, not crossfade? That would be normal, my other Cowons also can fade the sound in after resume.