android
Old 09-11-2007, 02:38 PM

Default Ringing Ears or just loud silence?

ok, well this seemed like the right place to post this question... anyway, when I am in a totally silent location, I can "hear" the silence. I can block out the noise if I focus, but it's really annoying late at night...It dosen't bother me if there is any other noise in the room...what do you guys think? Have I given myself tinnitus loving my sansa too much, or is this normal?

I'm a little concerned here...

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-11-2007, 02:58 PM

Tinnitus would be heard all the time and evem when there is background noise, so I think we can rule this out.

Have you ever put a seashell to your ear, a conch shell or similar and heard the distant sound of the waves? This noise is an echo of what you are hearing now. The human body is not totally silent and produces freqeuncies even at rest. The hearing system is very fine in its ability to identify noise. The nerves that transmit the signals from the cochlea to the audio process area of the brain may have their own standby discharge rate, all of this will lead to the perception of a high frequency sound even in a quite room, in other words the auditory system is still searching for a noise and almost running self tests and diagnostics. You may notice that this tinnitus as you describe it gets worse when you have a head cold or hay fever. Some of this is due to the release of neurotransmitters such as histamine.

Advice.

Only listen at moderate volumes for extended periods of time. Use the best headphones you can afford and use isolating models in noisy environments to both limit the pressure of external noise and reduce the chance of you stepping on the gas and hitting the loud button. Do not use the graphic equaliser to make big changes to the sound envelope, get a pair of headphones that sound good to you with all the tone controls in the flat or bypass position. Do not use bass boost. If you have to spend time in a noisy environment, use ear defenders, I carry my inner ear ones to rock concerets just in case the sound guy that did the set up was deaf.

Old 09-11-2007, 10:26 PM

Location: avondale arizona.. better then where i use to live..

well.. i guess i have tinnitus.. cause even as im listening to my music right now at a fair level.. you cant hear it thru my door.. i can still hear a high ringing.. but im not sure how i got it.. cause many of my friends have ridiculously loud sound systems in their cars and they hear just fine.. me.. ive been like this for years. i dont know when it first started.. but im possitive i have hearing loss.. which sucks.. cause i work in a loud enviroment and not being able to hear my boss or teacher makes it hard to know if im doing something wrong or if im about to be run over.. my hearing isnt bad.. i can have a normal convo.. but as soon as the volume of the room gets to that point where everyone is talking.. i have a hard time hearing the guy behind me..
newest member is a Sansa Express 1GB

Old 09-11-2007, 10:57 PM

Oh, thank you so much, you have put my mind to rest, I was really quite worried there for a while!
I'll be sure to follow your advice and turn the volume down!

Old 09-13-2007, 09:22 PM

Location: avondale arizona.. better then where i use to live..

whats funny is that you might be older then me... im 17
newest member is a Sansa Express 1GB

Old 09-29-2007, 11:56 PM

Tinnitus is progressive and takes a while to develop. I've got it from playing guitar in a rock band. My upper register is shot and I have ringing in my ears all the time. I'd advise anyone to turn the tunes down while you're young because Tinnitus sneaks up on you. By the time you realize you have it, it's too late...