android
Old 09-10-2007, 09:09 PM

Lightbulb Rockbox on e200R BUT WITHOUT ACCESS TO RHAPSODY

Rockbox on e200R but without Rhapsody

Hi all, I just registered a few days ago, and I stumbled onto this site and I was amazed that most of the things I’ve been doing are being done here, its like opening your closet and seeing 100 little clones of yourself, LOL.
Anyway 2 months ago I bought a Sansa e260 for my girlfriend, I put Rockbox on it and she loved it. I loved it too so I got the Sansa e280R. I tried to put Rockbox on but it didn’t work at first. Then I finally got it to go but I couldn’t dual boot until last week.
Forgive me if some on posted this already but you can load Rockbox on your e280R and have dual booting capabilities, only if you willing to do away with rhapsody. Here’s how:

Synopsis: You will have to convert your e280R into e280. My e280R had the latest firmware on it so I don’t know if the earlier models are any different.
From there you will follow the procedures to installing RockBox on a regular e280.

1. First you need Linux on you computer (I prefer Ubuntu). Burn a copy from http://www.ubuntu.com/ . Install it or boot from the CD so you can run it live without having to install it. (If using Ubuntu make sure to login as Root so that you will have full access to change files, got here for howto http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=31053 )

2. Download http://daniel.haxx.se/sansa/e200tool/e200tool and save.
Once in Linux go to the terminal screen and go to the directory you put the e200tool.
Run the command “chmod +x e200tool” to make the file executable.

3. Download the e200 firmware http://daniel.haxx.se/sansa/e200/PP5022.mi4
and http://daniel.haxx.se/sansa/e200/BL_...dSupportSD.rom place both files in the same folder with e200tool.

4. Go to your terminal screen, go the directory all 3 files are in.
On your sansa put the top switch on lock then hold down the center button while connecting you sansa to the computer. The screen should not come on but the blue light should be on. Then while holding down the REC button on the side run this command “./e200tool recover BL_SD_BOARDSUPPORTSD.rom”

5. You should get a message “e200tool v0.2.3-alpha (c) by MrH 2006, 2007…………………………....Execution started!” DON’T DISCONECT YOUR SANSA.
P.S if you get the message "Control message (-71, Protocol error)" when repeating the “./e200tool recover BL_SD_BOARDSUPPORTSD.rom” command chances are the file is already there and that the error given when trying to replace the same file.

After that copy both PP5022.mi4 and BL_SD_boardSupportSD.rom on to you sansa. On the drive I should only see one file“VERSION.TXT” and no directories if this is what you see too add the files to the same place “VERSION.TXT” is in.

6. Safely unmount you sansa and when it updates it should be the e260/e200 series and no rhapsody.

7. From there continue with the steps for install Rockbox on a regular e200.
http://download.rockbox.org/manual/r....html#x4-60002
You don’t have to but you can rename the sansa drive from Sansa e260R to Sansa e260 but it dosent matter because it will be recognized as a non-Rhapsody anyway.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-10-2007, 09:20 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonmp3 View Post
command chances are the file is already there and that the error given when trying to replace the same file.
It means (to my knowledge) that there's some sort of problem transferring the file, and the Sansa should be restarted before going any further. In addition, these instructions will be outdated within the next few days, as e200rpatcher is being developed (for Linux anyway) and will help make the process more foolproof. In addition, these instructions have been posted multiple times, including the Rockbox Wiki.

Old 09-10-2007, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjs162216 View Post
these instructions will be outdated within the next few days, as e200rpatcher is being developed (for Linux anyway) and will help make the process more foolproof. In addition, these instructions have been posted multiple times, including the Rockbox Wiki.
Nice I look foward to that. I never saw any other threads like this. I wish I saw the other threads about install a dual booting rockbox on a e200R , I could have saved some time reinventing the wheel. Who is working on the patcher by the way? And do you know if it will support dual booting? To me thats the main thing because I got it to work using another method but I couldnt use the origional firmware untill I used this method.

Old 09-10-2007, 09:44 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonmp3 View Post
Nice I look foward to that. I never saw any other threads like this. I wish I saw the other threads about install a dual booting rockbox on a e200R , I could have saved some time reinventing the wheel. Who is working on the patcher by the way? And do you know if it will support dual booting? TO me thats the main thing because I got it to work but I couldnt use the origional firmware.
Also, another thing - your directions aren't what's described in the Rockbox Wiki, which could cause a few problems. To dual boot the e200R, simply save the Rhapsody firmware to the SYSTEM directory as OF.mi4 and hold |<< when turning on the Sansa. The patcher is being worked on by JdGordon, though if you want progress updates, I suggest you join IRC, where anyone can help to answer your question. It will support dualbooting, as it does right now.

Old 09-10-2007, 10:02 PM

Quote:
simply save the Rhapsody firmware to the SYSTEM directory as OF.mi4
That makes sence because I tried that but I got a white screen when trying to boot the origional firmware. I don't know the reason but Im just happy that everything is working, and I dont miss Rhapsody since I dont use it.

Old 09-12-2007, 11:28 PM

hey mmm i tried what you said.. i downloaded those files...i have ubuntu... i dont know how to run the e200tool as you say i did it with sudo /home/user/Desktop/e200tool recover /home/user/Desktop/BL_SD_boardSupport.rom... it said something like 6666:e200 not found!.... and so i tried again and it said... (-71 protocol error)...but then what I shall do... nothing happens... the screen stays black...the wheel stays blue... so...then what when this issue happens?

Old 09-13-2007, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luishasbon View Post
hey mmm i tried what you said.. i downloaded those files...i have ubuntu... i dont know how to run the e200tool as you say i did it with sudo /home/user/Desktop/e200tool recover /home/user/Desktop/BL_SD_boardSupport.rom... it said something like 6666:e200 not found!.... and so i tried again and it said... (-71 protocol error)...but then what I shall do... nothing happens... the screen stays black...the wheel stays blue... so...then what when this issue happens?
I installed and uninstalled about 3 times to see how hard it could be and this is the hardest part. What I did was if I got the error I unpluged the sansa and shut it down by holding the power button for 10 seconds untill the light goes off then started the process of running the e200tool command while holding the center button again. The first time It only took 2 times , the 2nd and 3rd time it took me a total of 15 tries . but when it gives you a successful message its worth it.Keep trying and tell mre how it goes.

Old 09-14-2007, 09:57 AM

ok ill try 15 times then and on xD...by the way.. if this thing works... is it possible to turn rhapsody back?

Old 09-14-2007, 10:24 AM
Rockbox Developer

If FF and Rewind really works for you (even if only on certain files) you should go into IRC and tell the devs about that!! I don't believe that though! My guess is that you accidentely used an MP3 or something while being in the official build.

Old 09-14-2007, 12:00 PM
Ultra Senior Member

kugel: wrong thread

As for this method, it isn't exactly what you should do - you should patch the e200R bootloader, which would still allow Rhapsody to be used.

Old 09-14-2007, 12:01 PM

dude this works i just turned my sansa e260R to e260! non R!! and it works perfectly!!!thx a lot!

Old 09-14-2007, 12:38 PM
Rockbox Developer

Quote:
kugel: wrong thread
Yea lol, how could this happen :O

Old 09-14-2007, 05:20 PM

I'm willing to try it, but I'm worried about the Linux thing.

1. Does installing Linux automatically remove Windows?
2. Will any of my Windows files be erased?
3. How do I uninstall Linux once I'm finished?

Old 09-14-2007, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCM View Post
I'm willing to try it, but I'm worried about the Linux thing.

1. Does installing Linux automatically remove Windows?
2. Will any of my Windows files be erased?
3. How do I uninstall Linux once I'm finished?
Don't panic. You can use a LiveCD/LiveDVD. That means you boot it, it loads in your RAM but your hard disks aren't touched. Nothing will be erased, nothing will be installed, you won't need to uninstall anything.
Headphones: Technics RP-HT300 | Panasonic RP-HT202|JVC HA-FX55
Sansa Rockbox Themes: KratoGlass|KratoSky|KratoJet|JetoKrat

Old 09-14-2007, 07:35 PM

What's LiveCD?

Sorry, I'm just a really big noob when it comes to these things.

EDIT: OK, I found it on the Ubuntu web site. Long story short, I'm an idiot and google is your freind. XD

I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Old 09-15-2007, 05:33 PM

Thank you soooooo much!! This worked perfectly, and now, I've got my e200 back! You rock man.

Old 09-15-2007, 06:55 PM

Will edubuntu work?

Old 09-15-2007, 07:18 PM
Rockbox Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCM View Post
Will edubuntu work?
Just use the normal ubuntu. It's allways in a LiveCD.

Old 09-17-2007, 04:08 PM

when i try to load Rockbox onto my e260, verything works except my themes. is there a version for just e260 that may solve my problem?!?!?!

Old 05-06-2008, 09:44 PM

is there a way to do all this without linux?