android
Old 09-10-2007, 03:17 PM

Default Reproducing Bluetooth "Chipmunk" problem

I've gotten the player to do the high-pitched, Fast forward sound with the bluetooth a couple of times now. There may be other ways to get it to happens but hopefully this will let digitaldel reproduce it.

Power on player without bluetooth enabled.
Start playing.
Go to setup and enable bluetooth (player is still playing).
Select headphones/device.
After connection is made to the BT headphones the player should still be playing normally through the headphone jack but the BT headphones should be hearing the 'chipmunk' version.

If I then stop and start the playback the problem persists. If I power off and back on then the BT works fine.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-11-2007, 04:49 PM

Did you have any of the previous Insignia players? How does the sound quality of the Sport compare?

Old 09-12-2007, 11:14 AM

Will these players support both bluetooth stereo and mono headsets? I found that the new Razr v9 will play to the cheap Motorola H300 headset (one ear).

I, too, mostly listen to audio books and stereo is unnecessary for that.

Old 09-13-2007, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonafide View Post
Did you have any of the previous Insignia players? How does the sound quality of the Sport compare?
Yes I have the previous versions of the audio player and the video/audio player. Sorry, I'm no audiophile that can tell the difference. Hopefully we'll get some input from other purchasers soon.

Old 09-13-2007, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IpaqMan View Post
Will these players support both bluetooth stereo and mono headsets? I found that the new Razr v9 will play to the cheap Motorola H300 headset (one ear).

I, too, mostly listen to audio books and stereo is unnecessary for that.
I don't think they will, I tried pairing a regular old BT headset and it wasn't recognized. If you want to this badly enough I know that the HP iPAQ 64xx and 69xx PDA/phones had a feature to play all audio out to a regular BT headset. But frankly I the quality wasn't good enough for me... I've been spoiled with the high quality mp3 audio books.

But if you are willing to shell out the $$ the Jabra model I referenced earlier is cool since you can disconect the second earphone but still get the high quality audio BT sound. Also I saw this week that Plantronics has a new Voyager 855 that works the same way.

Old 09-14-2007, 08:06 PM

rdow, thanks for the repro steps, that will make it easier to fix! You get the honor of reporting the first known bug on the new players.
With respect to the headset, the players do not support mono headsets. We thought the audio quality is so much lower and there are quite a few nice headsets with both capabilities that people would prefer to listen to higher quality audio. We will look at it if enough people show interest.

Thanks

Old 09-17-2007, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdow View Post
A couple of retractions/updates.
Second I've found a problem with the new bookmark feature. If I'm listening to an album or playlist and bookmark my position, when I come back later and load the bookmark it is no longer playing the album or playlist, it is playing the single track with no knowledge that that track was part of a larger group of files that were playing.
Actually, I wouldn't expect it to. When you set a bookmark, you're bookmarking the currently playing file. Bookmarking an entire playlist would be a completely different feature and if it were done each time you bookmarked a file I think it would be more annoying than useful. I don't think you would always want the current playlist to reload everytime you resume playing a particular bookmarked file. Why arbitrarily group files that way? It interferes with the autonomy of individual files. it's much better to have the bookmark only associate with the now playing file. Perhaps an option to bookmark the playlist would be useful, but I certainly wouldn't want it to do that every time.

Old 09-17-2007, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riolist View Post
I don't think you would always want the current playlist to reload everytime you resume playing a particular bookmarked file. Why arbitrarily group files that way? It interferes with the autonomy of individual files. it's much better to have the bookmark only associate with the now playing file. Perhaps an option to bookmark the playlist would be useful, but I certainly wouldn't want it to do that every time.
I was looking at this from an audio book listener's perspective. If I'm listening to a book broken into 147 separate mp3s then I want the bookmark to work as I mentioned.

From a music listeners perspective ... I don't know. I could see if I was listening to a whole album (no shuffle) or a playlist that I might want to bookmark a spot; go watch a video; then come back to the same spot in the album or playlist. I guess I'm not sure why someone would care much about bookmarking a particular spot in an individual song; but hey, I don't listen much to music on my player so I'm no expert.

Old 09-17-2007, 01:39 PM

Default thanks for the info

I enjoyed reading this thread. I have never heard of the Insignia brand before but now I am interested. I could not quite understand one answer though, does the mono bluetooth earpieces? I too listen mostly to audio and podcasts and no wires at the gym sounds wonderful.
Joey

Old 09-17-2007, 01:55 PM

It doesn't work with your regular one-piece bluetooth ear-phone used with typical cell phones. Headset needs the newer high-quality audio feature (A2DP).

Almost all headphones designed for this are ones designed for both ears (headsets, not single earphones).

There are a couple of A2DP models that support removing the second earphone and connecting cable so you are left with a classic single-ear device. Jabra 8010 and Plantronics 855.

Old 09-17-2007, 05:35 PM

Quote:
I was looking at this from an audio book listener's perspective. If I'm listening to a book broken into 147 separate mp3s then I want the bookmark to work as I mentioned.
I haven't got my Pilot yet so I can't be sure, but since the Pilot supports both play-by-tag and play-by-folder perhaps a work around for this would be to place each book in it's own folder and begin playing from folder navigation, this way when the current file (which may have been started from a bookmark) finishes, it will automatically play the next file in the folder and so on.

Old 09-17-2007, 06:01 PM

Default Folder mode & bookmarks

Interesting idea.

I know they added folder mode for the old model DV player in the last firmware update. After reading your suggestion I turned on my Sport and I don't seem to see a folder mode.

I'll look more thoroughly tonight and let you know if I come across it.

Old 09-17-2007, 07:20 PM

hmm, now i'm not sure if it supports folder browsing. I thought I saw it somewhere but I can't find it now. I hope it does, because it's a useful feature, if only for this reason.

Old 09-21-2007, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Bluetooth:
Bluetooth only works with Audio, NOT video.
I was just reading a press release about a new RCA player using KLEER technology instead of bluetooth and it mentioned one of the advantages over bluetooth is the lack of latency, making it able to stay synchronized with video. I guess this explains why the Insignia's don't support Bluetooth while watching videos.

Old 12-11-2007, 08:05 PM

does anybody know how to unfreeze insignia sport?

Old 12-11-2007, 09:20 PM

hold the power switch on for about 10 seconds or so. That is the reset described in the instructions and it has worked for me every time.

Old 12-23-2007, 12:58 AM

this is the worst one of all...its too small to watch videos...

Old 12-23-2007, 11:59 AM

Well the screen size is a given. I can't blame Insignia for supporting video, it seems that every player with a color screen out there does the same thing... even ones with much smaller screens. They need to stay competitive.

And frankly it is usable. I watched a couple of episodes of Survivor on a plane trip recently on my Sport. I could even read the subtitles. Would a nice big screen be better? Sure. But those units don't fit as nicely in a shirt pocket.

Old 11-27-2008, 09:37 AM

Hey. I have had my sport for about 7 months, and I just realized that I have no clue what the bookmarks are! if someone could tell me what they are (I think I no) and how to use them, that would be great!

Old 02-09-2010, 07:29 PM

Rather impressed with the functionality v price! Not to mention the 20 to 30 hour battery life. I just bought it a week or so ago - so -more, later, when I get more used to it.