android
Old 06-09-2006, 12:16 AM

Default SAT Encryption?

OK, The old gigabeats had .SAT file encryption, so that on any file you wanted to put on the player would be encrypted. Once they go in they dont come out...SO does anyone know if I will be able to get my files off the player once i get them on. Even if I had to use WMP to do so.
This is my biggest reason to not get an ipod, no restoration of getting files off the player. Gigabeat F series also had this mistake.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-09-2006, 06:41 AM
Editor

Are you speaking about the new S series? The S30 & S60 do not have SAT encryption. It is very easy to get music off of the player.

Old 06-09-2006, 10:48 AM

I have been looking everywhere to try to find that answer. Do you have a link where you got your info from?
I bought a vision:m about a week ago and still have time to bring it back if I think I will like the gigabeat better.
Anybody have any suggestions?

Old 06-27-2006, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnzoTen
Are you speaking about the new S series? The S30 & S60 do not have SAT encryption. It is very easy to get music off of the player.
Enzo, are you sure about that? I downloaded the Gigabeat S manual last week and it was pretty clear about saying that the music on it was encrypted. It didn't say exactly via which method it was, but it did say it was encrypted. Of course, I can't find that particular manual page right now, but I'll keep looking.

Old 06-29-2006, 06:59 PM
Editor

Positive... i have the S30 and S60. I dont know of any MTP devices that use encryption.

Old 07-03-2006, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnzoTen
Positive... i have the S30 and S60. I dont know of any MTP devices that use encryption.
Hmm, ok.

Thanks. Maybe it was the F manual which I was reading instead.

Old 07-06-2006, 10:20 AM

You can download the S manual in pdf format.

Search that manual for "encrypt". You won't get any hits---I know, I tried it.

Old 07-18-2006, 09:23 PM

Lightbulb Gigabeat F40 Question

Hello everyone,

I have been considering purchasing a Gigabeat because, after months of research, I have found that it has all the features I want and, for all of its great features, it is not as expensive as some of the other brands out there; more specifically I have been looking at a re-furbished F-40 (surprisingly, it costs less than a new F10), but I have a questions that I am hoping you guys can answer.

To be honest, I have nowhere near 40GB of music, so I was hoping I could use the Gigabeat as a flash-drive and store movies and other various documents on it, and play them later on my, and other, computers; but from what I have read above, about the .SAT file encryption, it looks
like Iím S-O-L.

Does anyone have an F-series Gigabeat and know if you can store movies and text documents on it that can later be viewed using their corresponding programs?

Thanks,

Old 09-26-2006, 06:33 PM

You can get all your files of the old and new Gigabeats by connecting them using the WMP connection then tranfering them via Windows explorer. There are better directions for this on the MyGigabeatForum.com.

Good luck.

Old 09-10-2007, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubbsy View Post
Hello everyone,

I have been considering purchasing a Gigabeat because, after months of research, I have found that it has all the features I want and, for all of its great features, it is not as expensive as some of the other brands out there; more specifically I have been looking at a re-furbished F-40 (surprisingly, it costs less than a new F10), but I have a questions that I am hoping you guys can answer.

To be honest, I have nowhere near 40GB of music, so I was hoping I could use the Gigabeat as a flash-drive and store movies and other various documents on it, and play them later on my, and other, computers; but from what I have read above, about the .SAT file encryption, it looks
like Iím S-O-L.

Does anyone have an F-series Gigabeat and know if you can store movies and text documents on it that can later be viewed using their corresponding programs?

Thanks,

I have an F40, and yes, you can use it as a flash drive. Only music is converted to the .SAT encryption. Also, rockbox supports the F40, which would get rid of all encryption of any kind (www.rockbox.org), and would also add video suport, amongst other things

Old 09-11-2007, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefwarren View Post
You can get all your files of the old and new Gigabeats by connecting them using the WMP connection then tranfering them via Windows explorer. There are better directions for this on the MyGigabeatForum.com.

Good luck.
You also have to use the dock as well as have the connection set on the gigabeat to WMP. I have done this and it takes a while because it transfers at USB 1.1 speed. So once you have transfered your music encryption free off the player I would install rockbox.