android
Old 09-04-2007, 01:06 PM

Default 'Stealthy' earbuds, isolating both ways

I'm having some trouble figuring out which, if any, earbuds are quiet to the surroundings at least at average/mid volume. It's essential to be able to listen to music in a quiet room (or a library f.ex) without other people fairly close by hearing - going to be using them a lot while studying. Do I need closed earphones or something for that, or will those noise isolating earbuds work both ways?

I'm not too nitpicky on the SQ, e.g. I wouldn't have a preference between the MylarOne X3 and the V-Moda Vibe... just as long as it's fairly decent (somewhat comparable to Senn CX300 and higher). Price range up to around $100 preferably, but at least <$150.

Thanks for any help

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-04-2007, 01:16 PM

The Vibes don't isolate, scratch them from your list.

The X3 are nice for the price, but lack bass - if you want more bass, get the XBs. IMO these are the best IEMs for under $100.

Old 09-04-2007, 01:16 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Page

For some bucks above your price range (< $150) you can get the Atrio M5's ($159.60 off eBay, and you can make an offer). They're told to be excellent IEMs. But Crossroad MylarOne X3's are great too.

As for isolation, I have a pair of IEMs and they isolate quite well.

Last edited by Almoxil; 09-04-2007 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Removed ref. to V-Moda Vibes (don't isolate)

Old 09-04-2007, 01:19 PM

Yes, the Atrios are the best IEMs I've ever heard - and they cost a lot less than several others that sound nowhere near as good (Shure E5c, Super.Fi 5 Pro, etc...).

But they're not really "stealthy", you can see them clearly in the ears when someone's wearing them...

Old 09-04-2007, 01:22 PM

Well I meant stealthy more as in people won't hear what you're hearing. Thanks a lot for the quick replies. I'll check out the M5.

Old 09-04-2007, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forfe View Post
Well I meant stealthy more as in people won't hear what you're hearing. Thanks a lot for the quick replies. I'll check out the M5.
Here's my review: http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archi...-m8-review.php

Old 09-09-2007, 12:16 PM

almost any IEM is stealthy according to that definition...doesn't even have to be a brand or high-end one...

Old 09-11-2007, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhalfim View Post
almost any IEM is stealthy according to that definition...doesn't even have to be a brand or high-end one...
and so I found out... but I had no idea before, which is why I asked. Thought maybe I had to sacrifice sq (yeah I don't/didn't know jack about these things), but obviously I don't have to do that, so I ended up getting the Atrios.

Old 09-11-2007, 03:06 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Thumb Up

Great choice, Forfe! I'm eager to get mine...