android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > SanDisk Sansa > Sansa e200 > Sansa e200 Rockbox > Sansa e200 Custom Rockbox Builds

View Poll Results: Which custom build do you use?
cpchan branch 282 54.65%
chrisjs branch 99 19.19%
digibuild branch 28 5.43%
kugel branch 107 20.74%
Voters: 516. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-22-2007, 06:05 AM

Default Which custom build do you use?

A friendly poll to see which build is most popular.
Headphones: Technics RP-HT300 | Panasonic RP-HT202|JVC HA-FX55
Sansa Rockbox Themes: KratoGlass|KratoSky|KratoJet|JetoKrat

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-22-2007, 08:48 AM

My vote was for Jack's (might want to change the spelling to "chrisjs", not "chrisj"), however, I have used, and continue to keep an updated copy of Charles' build around as well. I also have used mschneider's build found on the Rockbox Unsupported Builds forum.

Old 08-22-2007, 09:25 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kratonator View Post
A friendly poll to see which build is most popular.
As Kockroach said, can you edit my name? Assuming builders can vote (if they can't, you'll need to remove one vote from mine) I voted for my build since I build it :P In addition, I like my build since I (and all other users) can update if I'm away, without having to SSH in (I believe I posted the link before, but it's http://nuclearscripting.com/other/sansa/update1.php - I'm planning to move it to chrisjs.com though). In addition, since I haven't had any complaints from my host yet about resource usage (actually, usage is rather low) I'm thinking of trying to see if I can modify the build a little.

Old 08-22-2007, 09:36 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjs162216 View Post
I voted for my build since I build it :P
Hay, that is cheating- I refrained from voting. . The goal of my build is not to be most up-to-date with SVN (although it is very close), but an enhanced version of Rockbox focusing on functionality. I don't use any auto-build system because an out-of-sync patch can break the build. All builds that I release have to be tested for basic functionality in music, radio, video (resume and seek), ebook (text viewer, html viewer) for quality control before releasing.

Charles

Old 08-22-2007, 10:08 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpchan View Post
I refrained from voting. .
If you didn't vote, you or kratonator should remove my vote, to keep it fair (assuming digerati1338 isn't going to vote)

Quote:
The goal of my build is not to be most up-to-date with SVN (although it is very close), but an enhanced version of Rockbox focusing on functionality. I don't use any auto-build system because an out-of-sync patch can break the build.
The auto-build system is there, but I still do at least one manual build in the morning and one at night, to ensure that there are no problems.

Quote:
All builds that I release have to be tested for basic functionality in music, radio, video (resume and seek), ebook (text viewer, html viewer) for quality control before releasing.
That's one of the places you beat me. Since most of the builds are automatic (and for the most part, do build fine) I can't test each one, though I do test the build at least once per day.

Old 08-22-2007, 10:18 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjs162216 View Post
If you didn't vote, you or kratonator should remove my vote, to keep it fair (assuming digerati1338 isn't going to vote)
krat, can you do it? I have to be impartial.

Charles

Old 08-22-2007, 10:28 AM

I fixed chrisjs' name and the number...

Old 08-22-2007, 10:38 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
I fixed chrisjs' name and the number...
Thanks, dfkt.

Charles

Old 08-22-2007, 03:28 PM

vote for Charles

Old 08-23-2007, 05:41 AM

I use the standard build (Nothing against the custom builds, i just dont have the time to sit down and work out which one would suit me best), so it wouldve been nice to have that as a poll option, just to get a feel for how many people use standard vs custom.

Old 08-23-2007, 07:05 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveybaby View Post
I use the standard build (Nothing against the custom builds, i just dont have the time to sit down and work out which one would suit me best), so it wouldve been nice to have that as a poll option, just to get a feel for how many people use standard vs custom.
The features of each unofficial build are listed in the first post of their respective thread. If you watch videos on your device, then you are better off in using any unofficial build here because the mpegplayer in the official build lacks resume and seeking.

Charles

Old 08-23-2007, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpchan View Post
The features of each unofficial build are listed in the first post of their respective thread.
Oh yeah, i know that - i just havent had the time yet to compare the go through the 40 or so patches that each build adds and figure out which configuration suits my needs. I think i'll need a spreadsheet and a requirements matrix

Old 08-23-2007, 12:59 PM
Rockbox Developer

For those people who don't watch video, and want their player only as a music device, though, an unpatched build can offer both more stability, and often more battery life. So really, it is a valid choice for many people.

Especially if they actually want to be able to file bug reports and see the main codebase improved.

Old 08-26-2007, 02:24 PM
Rockbox Developer

I'm using Jacks and Charles builds rotational. For the moment it's Jacks, but I'm holding the vote.

Anyway, I'm starting to build my own buils soon. I think about sharing it here as well

Old 08-27-2007, 11:10 AM

Oh noes, i just realized i voted for someone from toronto (i hate that city for various reasons)

But, actually cpchan's build is great and so is he....

Old 08-29-2007, 04:47 AM

I use chrisjs' build, tried the other two but chrisjs does everything I need so happy with it! It's like the way you always prefer the first version of a song you hear!

Old 08-30-2007, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llorean View Post
For those people who don't watch video, and want their player only as a music device, though, an unpatched build can offer both more stability, and often more battery life. So really, it is a valid choice for many people.

Especially if they actually want to be able to file bug reports and see the main codebase improved.
Hey Llorean,

I did a battery benchmark with an official build using no WPS, and then compared it to Jack's build using the Free-State WPS. The runtimes were almost identical for me on my e280 playing NeroAAC files. They both lasted about 10.5 hours.

kockroach

Old 08-30-2007, 04:55 PM
Rockbox Developer

Notice I said "Often" rather than "Always". It depends highly on what features the custom build adds, and what your personal use habits are.

For example, we have a developer who gets 15 hours out of his Sansa on battery benches on the official build.

Old 09-01-2007, 08:53 AM

hey, i am new here. i might be using this thread for other than its intended purpose since i havent tried any of the builds yet but it helped me know which one is most popular and which i should try out first (i use rockbox almost exclusively for videos, use regular firmware for music). i havent updated my rockbox in like 2 months.

has anyone benchmarked battery life in comparison to the original firmware. if there is an easy way to do it other than leaving it on all day please let me know.

Old 09-01-2007, 09:16 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Battery life with Rockbox is usually around 11 hours, though some developers have had it last 15. Battery life mostly depends on what you're using it for, but it is currently less than the OF.