android
Old 08-20-2007, 02:16 AM

Default FF/Rew problem on large mp3 files

I haven't seen anyone else mention this yet, but I have using the cpchan branch and have trouble scanning in long files. It works alright until around 30-40 minutes, but then I notice upon letting go of the FF/Rew button it will jump ahead a few seconds. This becomes more and more pronounced to the point where at 2 hours it's jumping ahead by at least 15-20 seconds. Have noticed this on a couple different mp3 files, though I don't have anything that long in another format at the moment.

I *think* the same thing was happening in the other branches and the official "release", but I have been messing around with this thing so much this weekend I can't be sure. I can provide further info if needed, but just wanted to check first to see if anyone else has noticed the problem and if perhaps there is a solution. Thanks.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-20-2007, 07:23 PM

Just an update, it does appear this problem also exists on the base firmware build, so it's not unique to any branch. Converting the file to .ogg "solved" the problem, and while it's not the best solution, it'll do.

Old 08-20-2007, 07:47 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

I don't think accurate seeking like that is possible on MP3, so its not really a bug. Its probably just the errors in seeking accumulating over the course of the file.

Old 08-20-2007, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratoga View Post
I don't think accurate seeking like that is possible on MP3, so its not really a bug. Its probably just the errors in seeking accumulating over the course of the file.
Well, I don't know if I can agree with that. My old Rio Carbon had no problems with it at all (RIP Rio). But I'm not a big fan of MP3 either, so I'm not going to defend it. C'est la vie.