android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Speakers

Old 08-14-2007, 06:46 PM

Default Car Audio speakers - how would these sound?

So, i was looking to replace the satellites for my Klipsch PM's and was just digging around the Bestbuy site and i happen across some cheap speaker enclosures.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1072287783776

thats 13$ after a discount and if i put in something like....

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1168042838157

this into it for another $20, how would those sound? Would it sound better than the Klipsch satellites? What else would you recommend instead of the insignia's from bestbuy?

If all else fails, ill just throw them into my car. What do you guys think?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-14-2007, 06:53 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Stay away from non-circular speakers. Any oval/edgy design doesn't perform well. You don't see those in any good loudspeaker/headphone designs for a reason...

Old 08-14-2007, 06:58 PM

oh really? hmm....how come they make them for cars then?

Old 08-14-2007, 10:18 PM

probably they're designed to bounce around a car, most car speakers, (if you take off the cover) have have round outputs, maybe they're just cheaply made, cutting corners, you know. but, yeah, stay away from un-uniform speakers, if you don't you'll regret it

Old 08-14-2007, 11:26 PM
Insignia Moderator

In my experience, oval speakers are good at producing bass at a low cost. Although, the lows are usually very muddy and "boomy". But this is what your average consumer would consider to be a good sound system, so car makers use them almost exclusively now.

Old 08-15-2007, 01:52 AM
ABI Invaluable

There's that, and there's also size considerations. If a given area, such as a door panel or rear deck, can only accomodate speakers between five and six inches in one direction, then oblong speakers make more sense, as you can get more surface area within tight fittings. Also, the acoustics in the typical vehicle are far less than ideal, so the "coloring" that oblong speakers create isn't as noticable, and you're not likely to get clear, well-defined bass using existing speaker cutouts or locations regardless of how good the speakers are due to the varying resonances all the different materials and structural parts of the car have, so muddy bass from 6x9's aren't so readily apparent.

Old 08-15-2007, 11:32 PM

Hmm, i might just get them anyways since its just 30 bucks...you know, just cause im curious. They cant be that bad.

Old 08-16-2007, 03:22 AM

Way to go young chap. This is how I started down the hifi road some 35 years ago.

The speakers, once built will need to be driven by an amp, it looks as though you already have a satelite sub system with the amp built into the sub driver unit.

I think you will find that the speakers you build will be adequate for the quality of amp you are hooking them up to.

Lastly although most oval speakers can be considered as less SQ than a circular one, there is one notable exception in the mighty Kef bass drive units employed in a lot of hi end audio products in the 1980s right up to the year 2000.

Kef b139 kef b110 used in the mighty Linn Isobarik speaker. There are two, the second is hidden inside the enclosure behind the first one in a sealed tube like cabinet. They are wired in phase and puch forwards together. This has the effect of confusing the front driver that you can see into behaving as if it was bolted into a cabinet of infinite volume, giving a very deep and fast bass responce.

http://members.shaw.ca/mikesae/images/briks.jpg

Old 08-18-2007, 02:27 AM

that's interesting... so 2 drivers are better than one eh? who'd have thunk it? lol 2 dirvers are ALLWAYS better than one. more bass, and in some cases ^^ better bass in general. that speaker looks "mighty" allright, and very expensive, too far out of my market

Old 07-10-2008, 03:33 AM

cars are filled with compromises. long narrow space would only fit a very small circular speaker in many cases.

as said, the oval is to fit a space, sacrificing accuracy for some more bass which helps when theres road noise to overcome. most cars are rather lousy acoustic environments. the noise floor of the road/tires/wind mean that you have to put out that much more just to be able to hear any bass let alone the other frequencies. never mind the enclosures/mounts that aren't very stiff, bouncing sound off glass etc.

bestbuy has ok bookshelf speakers for a decent price. think there were threads on either avs or head-fi about them. insignia i think.