android
Old 08-20-2006, 08:11 PM

Default screen protector bubbles?

Hi there -- I just purchased a Clix, and am finding that it's practically impossible to apply the LCD screen protector film without creating all sorts of trapped bubbles! The underside of the protective film is sticky, so as soon as it touches 1 speck of dust or 1 strand of lint, it cannot be removed, and when the film is subsequently applied to the Clix screen, this creates a trapped bubble of air around each speck of dust/lint. The trapped bubbles RUIN the appearance of the screen. I've gone through 2 screen protectors already in the past hour, just trying to apply them to our new Clix, despite my best attempts to brush/blow off all offending lint before applying the screen protector. Does anyone have any solutions to this annoying problem? Thanks for your help!!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-21-2006, 02:01 PM

Default How to apply protective film

Ah - welcome to the wonderful world of screen protector film. What's even worse is when the edges get turned up and dirt gets under them. Then it's only a matter of time before the entire film starts to peel off (little by little).

I have found the following to work for me...this requires alot of patience and about 2-3 minutes (you can spare 2-3 minutes, can't you? And if you don't have patience, the 2-3 minutes will seem like 20-30 minutes.)

Expose a small portion of the edge of the short edge of the film (thus leaving the backing on the majority of the film). Line up and place that exposed edge on the MP3 Player's glass. The portion of the backing that you took off should be pulled/placed towards the opposite end of the player (think of an upside-down "Y") Take a credit card or other piece of stiff plastic and use that to slowly smooth out the film on the glass and to force out any bubbles on that edge that you just placed on the glass. If there are bubbles that you cannot get out, pull up gently on the film without removing it fully from the glass and use the credit card to slowly press down the film on the glass. Now continue this SLOWLY across the entire length of the film/glass until you get to the other edge. Trying to do this work quickly will almost always result in air bubbles. Then you have to pry up the edge of the film and start again (which you know by now really means that you will end up throwing out the film since you cannot pry up the edge without getting it dirty).

One other trick I use is to assume that I will get the final edge WRONG - so I laydown another piece of backing on the final edge of the glass. This allows me to pull up the edge of the film without getting it dirty. You then slowly peel this extra backing off the film at an angle while once again using the credit card to smooth out the bubbles.

Again, this takes PATIENCE. Many times, I put the flim on crooked and must start again.

Other tips - I make my own film covers by going to Staples or Office Max and look in the Clearance section for film covers for Palm Pilots or cellphones - something that is larger than the unit you want to protect. Then I cut down the Film to fit the unit (MP3 Player, cellphone, etc). This is usually a cheap way to get more film. I also cut the film to be SMALLER than the size of the glass I am covering. This makes it easier to place on the glass - and I have found that smaller film actually stays on the unit longer.

Old 08-23-2006, 12:40 AM

Thank you for your excellent advice! I am looking forward to trying out your suggestions. They are greatly appreciated!!

Old 08-27-2006, 12:11 AM

You can just do what I did and ordered a skin from www.bestskinsever.com

link: http://www.bestskinsever.com/servlet...ver/Categories

It takes a bit of time to get it on nicely, but once you get it right it's fantastic. I can't even see the skin without getting up close, and it protects it from scratches, front to back.

Old 08-31-2006, 07:49 PM

I think I'm going to try out those bestskinsever...$7 + shipping is not alot if it truely is a good as some of the reviews say...

Old 09-09-2006, 02:33 PM

Default Best Skins Ever update

Last post, I said I was going to plunk down the $7 for a BestSkinsEver for my iRiver Clix. Well, it was $8.49 (so shoot me) and I ordered it on 8/31. I recieved it on 9/5 - keep in mind that this was over a holiday weekend. The actual postmark on the envelope was 9/1 - now thats fast!). If you order one, make sure you keep an eye out for it in your mailbox. It comes in an envelope the same size as all my bills and junk mail - I almost threw it away!

Well, I finally got around to putting it on about 30 minutes ago. The instructions are well written and the product is relatively easy to apply to the mp3 Player. Basically, you get a bowl of water with a little soap in it, soak the "skin" in the water and place it on your mp3 Player (or cell phone, or PDA - it covers those too. Of course, these are customized skins so you have to order the correct one for your device.) The skin for the faceplate was pretty easy to put on and deal with - mainly cause it's flat. The 1-piece skin for the back and sides of the unit were a bit more difficult to apply but once the skin started to dry out, it got alot easier. There is a delicate balance needed between having it wet enough to move it around on the device and having it dry enough so it stays in place. The corner flap were the most difficult - but even the instructions tell you that if you wait some time for the water to dry up, it will get easier to get the correct placement and fit.

Well, it's on and looking pretty good. The instructions (and other posts that I've read regarding this product) indicate that it gets better looking in 12-48 hours as all the water dries up.

I must say at this point (30 minutes after putting it on), I am very impressed and willing to say that it's probably the best $8.49 (US) that I ever spent. I think I need one for my Cell Phone.

I will post again in a couple of days after it's completely dry and I get to use my player out and about with the skin on. We will see if it holds up...

Old 09-09-2006, 06:47 PM

I also put one on a few days ago myself. Very good skin. Does get dirty but hey a quick whip and it's perfect once again. Only complaint is that the very very edges of the skin get a tinny bit of dust on them. This is really very unnoticable unless you place it in direct sun light and stare. Other than that it was definately worth the money. Hope your turns out well also

Old 09-17-2006, 04:17 PM

Default JAVOedge

I heard JAVOedge screen protectors are effective at protecting scratches, anyone ever tried them? Here's the link: http://www.javoedge.com/reflexeshop/...18&modelId=552

Old 10-05-2009, 11:07 AM

Lightbulb the secret to applying screen protectors without bubbles

I was like everyone else trying to put on those darn films on top of the screen trying very hard to get it on without any bubbles or dust particles. If you get even the tiniest piece of dust, it sticks and creates an impossible to remove bubble. It's nearly impossible to do it right most of the time, even harder to have it perfectly centered. Many times I just gave up and threw the screen protector away.

Just a few nights ago, I was getting frustrated trying to put on the screen on my HTC G1. While I was putting it on a piece of dust flew under the screen and got stuck to the screen protector, it was jut horrible... I was about to throw the screen protector away and give up, and just then it occurred to me! I found a way to do it... I found a way to put the screen protector with relative ease without having to worry about dust, positioning problems, air bubbles.

As far as I know, nobody else did this... I've searched forums all over the Internet trying to find out if anyone else did it this way before... looks like I'm the first to discover this.

I'm sure by now you're curious, what is this strange new method of putting on a screen protector that makes it so easy? It is very easy... you'll laugh at how simple it actually is...

Put a drop of liquid on the screen.

That's it. That's all it takes! It doesn't really matter what liquid you use, but of course things work better if you use something with relatively high vapor pressure. I used 90% isopropyl alcohol. (Important bit of common sense: don't use water with dissolved solids like salt water, hard water or chicken soup and don't use oily substances, don't use liquids with suspended particles, don't get liquid on the internal components.)

The liquid makes it so that the screen protector is free to slide around on the screen while you're installing it. With the liquid on the screen, you can slap on the screen protector and just wipe away all bubbles easily. After you put it on, if you see any dust you have to act fast before the liquid dries. Don't peel off the protector, just slide the screen protector out of the way a little bit to reach the dust, remove the dust and then slide the screen protector back, all without peeling... this is something that was impossible without the liquid. Once there's no more dust or bubbles, push the screen protector to make it completely centered, then use the bubble remover like a squeegee to push out any remaining liquid while you hold it down to prevent it from sliding around. As you keep removing the liquid, the screen protector will start to adhere strongly and will stop sliding around. Keep squeegeeing for a while more.

If you did it correctly, the screen protector should be perfectly centered on the screen without any air bubbles, no dust, and it will not slide around.