android
Old 03-07-2008, 02:31 PM

You tried to install a MTP fw on your UMS flashed player, should not flash. The latest UMS fw is v1.12, get it here http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/co...080204_WEB.zip

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-08-2008, 05:07 AM

Default fw_update

aw: yeh, jumijoze_'s right; also can try to get it yourself from global download center; look for U3QG latest firmware (currently it is 1.12WA) or you can upgrade through your SamMeStudio (one of few good thinks it does)

tequila_j: still did nothing new with your piece?

Does anyone know what does the 1.12WA country code ET stand for?

Old 03-08-2008, 09:43 AM

Thanks, this is the info I was looking for. For anyone else wondering, you can go to the global download center: http://www.samsung.com/download/ Look for the YP-U3QG device and download the common language version. This should bring you to the same file jumijoze_ linked to (at least until there's something newer than 1.12 WA).

Old 03-14-2008, 09:28 AM

Help

Hi,

I'm new here and I want to know something about my mp3 player.

I've got Samsung U3JQB and it's MTP unfortunately and my question is:
after installing UMS firmware from "ftp://celtic.no-ip.org/pub/Samsung_YP_U3" I will not have RDS in my radio, right? So can I enable RDS by installing this package and then updating my mp3 to the newest firmware which is 1.13?

Is this method safe? Is there any way to enable RDS? Are there any other ways of enabling UMS function in this player?

Thanks in advance

Old 03-15-2008, 07:54 AM

Default _choice_

There is no other way of switching U3 to USB MSC except the DFU process so far (and as it seems to be a Hungarian Samsung factory leak i do not suppose any other to appear ever).

The DFU process itself is native to the player and works well though there were some accidents (i wonder what did teqila_j with his one). To feel better just go through the forum and you should know enough.

Once you switch to MSC firmware you are off the RDS until they implemet it in the MSC firmware (the newest - 1.12wa does not support RDS). You cannot crossflash the MTP RDS capable 1.13 upgrade to 1.10 MSC background, the player just ignores you.

...the MSC capability is worth 1000 RDS or more so good luck... and don't panic if something.

Old 03-20-2008, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frttrp View Post
Hey,

Searching for a solution I found IT.

I found this Hungarian Site http://hup.hu/node/15489
which refers this address ftp://celtic.no-ip.org/pub/Samsung_YP_U3 containing to DFU packages:
1) for upgrading to U3J MTP mode (ignore it)
2) for upgrading to U3J MTS mode (use it)
Any package contains a PDF file with insrtuctions.

It works . In two munites is possible to revert from/to UMS to/from MTP .

greetings from Italy
Can someone please reupload the file to do the flashing to UMS? I'm planning to purchase an MTP version because there's a sale in Canada right now. But I need it to have UMS functionality.

The link is currently down.

Old 03-20-2008, 04:00 PM

Never mind.

I found the answer to my own question on GenerationMP3. Hopefully it'll work!

http://rapidshare.de/files/38002662/DFU.ZIP.html

Old 03-26-2008, 12:45 PM

Just received my U3, tested to see if it plays, then I updated it immediately to UMS format, and it works great. Thanks to everyone!

Old 03-28-2008, 05:42 PM

Default Works!

Thanks! I converted my MTP U3 to MSC successfully without any problems I was amazed when my U3 showed as an additional disk in "my computer"

I have small question: What must I do to update U3 to newer firmware? (msc of course)

Old 03-31-2008, 05:18 AM

Default hint...

...check posts 142 and 143, look for your model without "j" prefix and you are on it

Old 04-09-2008, 02:40 PM

I thought I should confirm that this still works with the newer 1.13EU firmware. Just bought my player in the UK from amazon. It had 1.13 firmware by default. The conversion process worked no problem on my laptop (WindowsXP)

thanks a lot

PS: is there any reason why I should upgrade from 1.10 to 1.13? Any features I'd be missing?

Old 04-10-2008, 11:56 AM

Thanks for the links in this thread - the upgrade worked for me. Didn't even imagine when I bought the player that it wouldn't be UMS.

Also, I thought some people might find this interesting. I suggest as many people as possible email them - the UK form is here - http://www.samsung.com/uk/info/contactus.html

The more people that contact companies like this when they start doing abjectly stupid things, the better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by me
Dear Sir/Madam,

We recently bought the U3 player for my wife, as it has the FM radio and .ogg support, both of which are unusual and useful features in a player in this price range.

We were disappointed to find it was not compatible with Linux or, apparently, any non Microsoft operating system, as it uses the Microsoft only Media Transfer Protocol (MTP) instead of the more common and universally adopted and supported USB Mass Storage (UMS) protocol.

Searching the internet showed that this is a common problem, and that firmware version 1.10 is UMS, so we have successfully restored this version. However this wasn't easy, and version 1.10 is missing some minor features such as RDS and artist/album details.

What is the justification for using this non standard driver system? Even if MTP is deemed a good thing, why could the user not be provided with an option in the system configuration to switch to UMS support?

Many thanks,
Andrew Simpson
Quote:
Originally Posted by them
Dear Andrew Simpson

Thank you for contacting Samsung Electronics.

[Solution]
With regard to your email concerning the MTP version of firmware on our
units, please note that all the MP3 players we have are in this format.
Please note that there is no reason for this its just the way Samsung
have decided to design the unit.

I hope this has been of some assistance to you. If you do have any
further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind Regards
Siobhan Mack

Samsung Electronics UK
Customer Communication Centre
Tel.: 0845 726 7864 (All calls charged at Local Rate)
Quote:
Originally Posted by me
Dear Siobhan Mack,

Thank you for your prompt reply.

While I understand that this is a design decision, it is obviously a software feature which can be altered by official Samsung firmware updates.

My initial question was why the ability to change between MTP and UMS is not available to end users? There are threads on various forums on the internet which have attracted hundreds of posts regarding UMS support - this is clearly something which would be useful to many users.

Yours,
Andrew Simpson

Old 04-12-2008, 04:45 PM

I would just like to add another success story.

My unit is a British YP-U3J QB/XEU, bought from Currys for 45. It came with MTP 1.11 firmware, which for an unrelated reason I upgraded to MTP 1.13 (*). However the only Linux version I could get to talk to it was Ubuntu Hardy Heron (which is still in beta). Then I came across this forum thread.

So tonight I reflashed it to 1.10 WA using the instructions in DFU.ZIP. I did this using a Windows 2000 laptop, as that's what I had available at home, and it worked first time without problems - i.e. XP is not needed.

I then upgraded it to 1.12 WA using the normal documented update process.

Apart from RDS missing as people have pointed out before, I found that with both 1.10 WA and 1.12 WA the "Auto Preset" function finds no radio stations. But tuning manually is no big deal. Also, although the radio receives in stereo it always says "mono" on the display.

Otherwise the player works just fine, and most importantly it mounts directly on Linux (Ubuntu Dapper Drake). It took 2.5 minutes to cp and sync two albums worth of music (~160MB)

So I'd just like to add a big thank you to those people who've posted instructions and hints here, and to 'grothey' for giving me confidence that my UK player would not be bricked by the upgrade :-)

Cheers, Brian.

(*) An annoyance with the unit as it arrived was that the radio would only receive in mono, so I messed around with Windows XP, Windows Media Player 10 and MTP to upgrade it to 1.13. But after all that the radio was still mono...

Old 04-20-2008, 09:31 AM

Default Upgraded OK

Hi, i just registered to say thanks and confirm that my update went OK
My model is YP-U3J QB (2GB) Made in Slovakia
Bought in in Poland, it had 1.11 EU firmware
Upgrade went OK, with one small issue - i was reluctant to remove device after first "flashing" and tried to flash again while it was still connected.
Reflash failed but device was wtill ok, after quick reconnect next flashing went OK.
After 30 seconds (device is displaying progress on OLED) it was sucessfully patched and detected as normal Windows letter drive

I had my second moment of horror, when've put some music on it, disconnected and tried to poweron - display said something like "resource not found" and shutdown
Of course I just forgot about last step - putting RSC and SET files in system folder. After this and powering on device patched itself and works as advertised (no RDS and only folder/playlist playing, which was on for me from the start)
Done on Windows XP Pro
Im thinking about upgrading to 1.12 MSC but dont want to try my luck

Old 04-20-2008, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by candlerb View Post
Apart from RDS missing as people have pointed out before, I found that with both 1.10 WA and 1.12 WA the "Auto Preset" function finds no radio stations. But tuning manually is no big deal. Also, although the radio receives in stereo it always says "mono" on the display.
My freshly patched U3 is doing Auto Preset just fine, and switching to stereo display at once or after few seconds being tuned to station

Old 04-20-2008, 09:44 AM

Forgot to rant

It was really big and unpleasant surprise when I discovered that device (U3) that looked as was designed as mp3/pendrive integrated solution was NOT pendrive capable.
I was so sure it was that i didnt even ask or check with anyone.

Samsung just got one big minus for this, after a lot of pluses (bought nice and cheap monitor and lasercolorprinter from them )
And I just started to think they are least "corporate" and "music industry slaves" :P

Old 04-20-2008, 01:02 PM

Default help

ok i readed the whole thread and tried the DFU thing, but it seems like it totaly ****ed up my u3 player. the only thing i tried was the rec+start button thing to do the DFU but nothing happend. now i cant even recharge it. any1 know what to do? please help
ps sorry for the bad english

Old 04-20-2008, 06:27 PM

strange, pressing rec+power should not brick the device
it should just connect with different mode
as i just went thru procedure - i was afraid only the gflashing parts, not connecting with different driver

try other computer? maybe port got fckd up not the player - which is out of battery and not responding?

i hope its something simple - like keys stuck on player?

Old 04-21-2008, 12:21 AM

Tried other pc, same problem. it doesnt do anything when i stick it into my pc, no battery recharging or flashing lights, nothing . port stil works. i can just start my u3 when its connected, but nothing happens, it only starts the mp3 player and i can listen radio.
please help, any1 got the same problem?

Old 04-22-2008, 09:16 AM

Default _u3-help_

It seems your U3 behave entirely abnormally; you shouldn't be able to turn it on when sticked in USB. I don't thing it's the matter of your DFU experimets. Be it you I would simply change it for a new one. Flying over the forum you certainly have noticed that there are more unexplainable working U3s. It's Samsung who should bother with it not you, moreover if they ask money for a product that someone _has to_ tweak himself to get it usable

PS
maybe; have you tried to reset it? (hold_on+rec+play)