android
Old 11-11-2007, 10:05 PM

hi guys
ive just discovered an intersting trick about flashing an mtp device
i've just buyed an U3 because ogg friendly and no specific (i pod or else) or extra wire need and standard usb key to plug it as my regular key on my usb car stereo
(no ums no ums no ums so im upset and start to try find the good firmware to make the U3 my perfect 4gig small player)

here i find your excellent site and read somewhere else that you have to dl the korean but the mtp already deploy on the device disable to flash with it!!!and also read for some brand (i think it was sensa you can switch to ums/msc mode doing some key combination at device startup or plugged in!!!so i'v tried a few and succed to boot up in dfu mode witch means Device Firmware Upgrade (press record then keep pressed and press power then keep pressed and (you should have th blue led lite ) keep it pressed then plug it and XP should detecte a new device as dfu usb device

may be using some kind of low level dump in flash mem the good fw will fix the issue
cause im not used to works in the microcrotroller industries but i'm sure there must be some softwares that could flash it without using the device embedded option that runs only when you put the right file in the "system" folder!!!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-12-2007, 01:36 AM
Ultra Senior Member

This is an interesting trick...

Once connected with DFU, how does the computer regard the U3? Is it still displayed in My Computer in the same way, or are their any differences in the contents of the player?

Have you tried using the firmware installation steps found in the first post with UMS/MSC firmware while the device is connected in DFU?

Old 11-12-2007, 05:51 AM

i think you have to find some dfu driver somewhere caus' it doesnt have the right driver in xp and it still with a question mark
anyone got an idea ?

Old 11-12-2007, 08:51 AM

mangana, interesting finding

Hopefully this can be used to flash the fw directly without version checks.
My YP-U3 is either recognized as new DFU device on windows and on linux /proc/bus/usb/devices shows this:
Code:
T:  Bus=01 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=01 Cnt=01 Dev#=  3 Spd=480 MxCh= 0
D:  Ver= 2.00 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS=64 #Cfgs=  1
P:  Vendor=0492 ProdID=0141 Rev= 1.00
S:  Manufacturer=Samsung Electronics Co.,Ltd.
S:  Product=USB DFU Device
S:  SerialNumber=xxxx0000000001
C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=80 MxPwr=100mA
I:* If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 0 Cls=fe(app. ) Sub=01 Prot=02 Driver=(none)
Also notice that the vendor changed from "04e8:507d Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd" to "0492:0141 Samsung SemiConductor, Inc." after it's a dfu device.

I found dfutool which is a linux app to flash bluetooth usb dongles, maybe this can be used for other devices like our YP DAP too since DFU is a standard for every device that uses it.
Some old dfutool packages can be found here: http://www.holtmann.org/linux/bluetooth/dfu.html but newer versions are in the bluez-utils package if anyone is interested.

I tried "dfutool archive testdump.dfu" to copy an image of my YP-U3 firmware, but it seemed it couldn't recognize the audioplayer as DFU device with returning this error: "Can't find any DFU devices", maybe someone is more talented

Old 12-02-2007, 06:03 PM

Well, I've been investigating a little. The U3 appears to use DFU protocol version 1.1. dfutool supports only version 1.0, which is why it doesn't recognize the U3. However, as far as I can tell the only difference is the addition of a version field to DFU descriptor, so dfutool ought to work fine with DFU 1.1 devices.

Anyway, after modifying dfutool to accept it, I tried to dump my U3's firmware. This is where it gets weird. According to the U3's DFU descriptor, it can handle block size up to 2048. (dfutool uses block size 1023.) In fact, I've found using any block size greater than 64 doesn't work (it times out during the upload.) Using block size 64 works... sort of. In fact, what happens is that it just transfers the same 64-byte block over and over again. But here's the really weird thing: I get a different repeated 64-byte block each time I plug it in.

It seems it's violating the DFU standard in some way, which unfortunately doesn't surprise me. Seeing as this is presumably only intended to be used as a last resort when the normal firmware upgrade process fails, I wouldn't be at all surprised if nobody even bothered testing the upload function.

And without a working upload, I'm not about to try downloading anything without knowing a lot more about the internals of the thing.

Old 12-04-2007, 10:05 AM
Banned

Well I recently bought a U3 and discovered this pesky MTP business... this thread is by FAR the most informative I've read on the net so far. The discovery of the DFU mode seems to give a LOT of hope in flashing the firmware to a UMS version...I'm on uni holidays now so I'll definitely be working on doing such a thing as well.

I'm not sure if anyone else is still reading this thread, but Purple Screws, I'd be happy to work on this problem cooperatively if you think this would be a better idea?

Cheers.

Old 12-04-2007, 07:14 PM

Hey folks,

After reading all of this I am very upset as I read it just after I bought one (has not arrived yet, so I suppose I could cancel)

However its just so nice I might chance it and see if Samsung wake up and make better firmware or if someone hacks it.

However in the mean time every one should sign the petition!

(NEW) So get signing!
http://www.petitiononline.com/umsypu3j

That way theres (even if just a minority) a voice to back up any communications with Samsung in the future, and thus a market for them to provide to.

Steven

Old 12-06-2007, 02:21 PM

Default Solved !

Hey,

Searching for a solution I found IT.

I found this Hungarian Site http://hup.hu/node/15489
which refers this address ftp://celtic.no-ip.org/pub/Samsung_YP_U3 containing to DFU packages:
1) for upgrading to U3J MTP mode (ignore it)
2) for upgrading to U3J MTS mode (use it)
Any package contains a PDF file with insrtuctions.

It works . In two munites is possible to revert from/to UMS to/from MTP .

greetings from Italy

Old 12-06-2007, 02:58 PM
Samsung Moderator

Really?!
Possible to upgrade to UMS from a MTP european or american U3?!
Strange because the upgrading process is normaly blocked
in "settings" => "system"=> "about" what is the firmware?

Old 12-06-2007, 06:54 PM

Talking It Works ! ! !

I can confirm that frttrp's solution works ! Also thanks mangana for discovering how to access dfu mode. I went from version 1.11 MTP to 1.10 UMS I'm soooooooooo happy ! Download that dfu.zip file and it contains instructions, software, and firmware to completely change your yp-u3 from a stupid MTP device into a great UMS device. You will need windows to run the dfu update software though... It now shows up as a regular mass storage device in windows, linux, and my macbook, everything else works the same, the music plays, and when i go to settings, about, it says : VER 1.10 WA THANK YOU FRTTRP ! ! ! If anyone has questions, I'll be happy to answer them. Tytus, New York City :-)

Old 12-06-2007, 06:58 PM
Samsung Moderator

Whaouhhh that's cool!
P2 UMS, U3 UMS!
Still the T10 and all Samsung models are UMS

Old 12-07-2007, 06:30 AM

Finally! Upgrade from annoying MTP 1.08 went flawlessly. And there's even an option to remove selected files I've been missing! Thank you!
I almost lost my hope waiting for this!

Old 12-07-2007, 06:52 AM

Thanks! Worked like a charm, nice from Samsung to hide this recovery method from us so long
Aww now I have to retransfer all my music again on the player, but at least as massstorage device D

Old 12-07-2007, 10:30 AM

I guess I should have mentioned, this is not like the regular software update so make sure you have a backup copy of your music before you do it. After you upgrade from MTP to UMS, you will find that in settings,system there is a new option called "delete file" which lets you delete any music file, or voice recording directly from the device. If you call samsung to ask how to do this, they lie about it but when you run the dfu update software, theres a big blue samsung logo on it. Samsung and Microsoft are run by criminal gangsters and I hope to see the day when they collapse like AOL.

Old 12-07-2007, 12:12 PM

Cool

just one question, when reading the tutorial

at the step 24. it's write:

-download "firmware Zip file" on SVC bulletin.( Check your country)

doesn't it mean i have to update the firmware of my U3??

but if i update it.. it's gonna like before.. i mean.. it will become a MTP again right?

thank you frttrp!!

Old 12-07-2007, 12:30 PM

kairy: follow step 24 but just ignore the last line. the dfu.zip file comes with version 1.10 which i think is the newest MSC/UMS version. And once you do this update, you should be able to upgrade to newer versions of msc/ums firmware using the official method from the samsung website, but i don't see why anyone would want to since 1.10 works perfectly.

Old 12-07-2007, 01:31 PM

got it!!

thank you for replying
it work perfectly but now it's impossible to class my song by artiste or album music style .... but it's ok, i prefer being able to choose which directorie to play than which album

Old 12-08-2007, 02:19 PM

Default Update worked almost... but problem now

After the update my Radio yp-u3 reception is only Mono. And RDS does not work any longer. Changing Radio Region settings does not fix the problem.

Does anyone know a solution ?

Old 12-08-2007, 04:34 PM

Right, RDS functionality is missing on 1.10 firmware, at least I don't have RDS options anymore in Settings :/ But stereo works fine for me

Old 12-08-2007, 08:57 PM
Banned

Default WORKED FOR ME TOO...Please note it doesn't work with Vista

I can vouch that it works hooray no more shitty MTP to deal with anymore. We need to make sure this thread stays alive to spread the word...

Also, I run Vista on my laptop but I had to move to an XP machine to successfully complete this upgrade. I gather that Vista was the problem...

HOORAY FOR UMS!!