android
Old 07-15-2007, 05:39 PM

Opening a ZMP: part II
-----
See the earlier posting for pictures and directions on taking it apart.
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ead.php?t=6269

What this will cover:
1. Installation of 16GB CF.
2. Flashing of firmware onto device.
3. Notes and References.

------
Before we begin we will need to take a look at the certain things about the CF compared to the microdrive that is going to be replaced. We need to first look and rate the microdrive in terms of the CF first.

In the picture above is the technical specification page snapshot of the ST1 series of micro drives are rated the same. The microdrive is as we can see from the picture has 2 speeds, one internal and one external. The internal speed is 130 Mbytes/sec while the external is 33.3 Mbytes/sec. We only need to know the external for the CF comparison. The multiple is 6 to use, multiply 6 times the MB/s to get your X rating.

In this case 33.3 times 6 is 199.8X or almost a 200X rating. BUT considering that that this has moving parts it pretty much acts more like a 40X CF drive, which it makes the multiplier closer to a 1. Making the 33.3 MB/s a direct 33.3X conversion.

Now we look at the CF speed rating. The manufacturer website is not very helpful at labeling the low end products, aka the "Speedy" labeling found on the chip and packaging. Digging around on the "Turbo" area of the website, we find the rating for the "Speedy" is rated at 40X or 6 MB/s.

NOTE: speed ratings are the minimums and not the maximums of the transfer rates.

Comparing the two, the CF is only slightly faster than the microdrive, this is well within the replacement requirements for the microdrive. Another thing about the microdrive is that it has a PIO mode (used in embedded development), which means it has an MBR. The CF also has a PIO mode 4, which is another compatibility match.

Now we look at the 16 GB number and what it really means. The AData chip says it is 16GB, what it doesn't say is that it is BITS and not BYTES. What that translates to is that Windows/Linux/MacX will see this as 15.3GB, that is about 700 MBytes short what is advertised probably.

1. Installation of 16GB CF.

We can see all the parts laid out, in the picture one can see that there is a 4GB 120x CF there as well. This was what I swapped in after the 8GB microdrive died. In the picture, one can notice that I stripped the white plastic label on the microdrive off.

First thing is to transfer the rubber spacers to the CF.

Now we connect it back to the main PCB. Notice that it is still faced up when connected to the PCB. Now we flip it over to finish the layout. You might notice that the CF is kind of lop sided, this is normal because of the thickness difference of the CF to the microdrive.

At this point you can protect the molex ribbon cable with a small cut to sized rectangle shaped piece of duct tape to protect this rather than the yellow electrical tape you find there.

Now connect the main PCB to the inner metal casing. Connect the long molex ribbon first before locking the main PCB to the metal casing or your screen and touch pad will not work.

NOTE:
Then add the little switch cover on the PCB before you combine the outer metal casing to the inner casing.

2. Flashing of firmware onto device.

Make sure you have a fully charged battery before you continue. Just connect the microphoto to the computer, it will not be functional yet. DO NOT CONTINUE until you have a charged battery.

Firmware downloads from the creative website:

1.31.01 Firmware
http://ccftp.creative.com/manualdn/D...16_1_31_01.exe

1.20.01 Firmware
http://ccftp.creative.com/manualdn/D...LB_1_20_01.exe

I will be using the 1.31.01 Firmware updater. Once you download the firmware updater, run it. It will not pop up immediately. It can be found running in the task manager.

At this point, the microphoto will need to be formated and set to firmware flashing mode. The menu screen you should see is the Recovery Mode menu, pick format and yes. Formating should take less than 10 sec. Now pick REBOOT from the menu.

At this point the firmware updater app will pop up on your computer. The reason it doesn't pop up immediately is that the firmware updater has a detection function running to identify your microphoto and current firmware.

At this point you will need to pick the Reload Firmware option on the microphoto. Once you do that, the microphoto will go into docked mode.

At this point press the UPGRADE BUTTON to start flashing.

Once it is done, it will show up in you MY COMPUTER under audio devices and show that you now have a 15.1GB device ready to use.

The firmware will take up 200MB in the form of a pagefile, OS files and boot image file located in the MBR of the CF. Unfortunately if you take out the CF and insert it into a CF reader, it will show up as an unknown formated partition.

To answer the question of "Can you use a 16GB CF in microphoto?," the answer is YES you can.

It is unknown if any other types of CFs will work, not all CF support PIO mode. As more SSD (Solid State Drive) become available, the PIO mode should be showing up in more CFs from different vendors.

3. Notes and References.

Specifications on microdrive
http://www.seagate.com/docs/pdf/data...isc/ds_st1.pdf

Specifications on CF
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820211170
http://www.adata.com.tw/adata_en/pro...ctNo=ACFCZZZBK

Strangely enough the 16GB CF will draw more power than the microdrive. What power you gain in read and writes from the microdrive you lose in powering the 16GB CF. So you will only see the power savings total in maybe a few minutes extra than the microdrive overall.

The CF speed rating also shows up in the newegg specification tab.

The G-Force Protection (nothing more than a micro accelleromitor) found on the microdrive is not very reliable. The shock data is lab generated data and is a VERY POOR comparison to real world damages that can occur with most consumers. IE a drop of 12 inches to concrete with the microphoto vertically WILL kill the microdrive.

Linux zen managers
----
http://kzenexplorer.sourceforge.net/...ile=/index.ctn
http://gnomad2.sourceforge.net/

BONUS INFORMATION:
Those interested in using CF as a hard drive replacement.

What to be aware of in getting a CF to use. First and formost is the PIO mode that is supported. Mode 4 and/or 6 are needed, one or the other will be needed. Mode 4 is the most available at the moment.
Now we need to look at the HDD adaptors available. Most people that want to use this as an alternative to SSD are laptop users, because of the beating they can take compared to the HDD counterpart.

These are the ones for US based buyers

Addonics
http://www.shopaddonics.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=AD44MIDE2CF

Mini Box
http://www.mini-box.com/s.nl/it.A/id...=8&category=14

Logic Supply
http://www.logicsupply.com/products/cfdisk_2g

In the picture below you can see 2 addonics adaptors, one of them is flipped over so you can see the other side (the red ones) and 1 CFDISK.2G adaptor (the green one).

Now to pick the appropriate adaptor for the laptop in use. For this we need to be aware of the power rating of the HDD in use on most laptops. For this purpose, there are only 2 power ratings you need to know; 60W and 90W ratings. HDD with 40GB and lower have the 60W rating. Those with 60GB to 120GB have 90W rating.
The CFDISK.2G adaptor (the green one) is for the 60W rating. The DigiDrive adaptor (the red one) is for the 90W rating.

Those CF on the market right now: 1, 2, 4, 8, are CF II compliant and are interchangable between the 2 adaptors I have displayed. The 16 GB CF shown is a CF III compliant format and is only compatible with the CFDISK.2G adaptor for some strange reason and only allows FAT32 formating. A new CF III adaptor will need to show up on the market for compatibility of 16GB and up.

Unless ADATA would like to send me a 16GB 266X CF Turbo line free for testing, the above comment stands. I doubt that will happen any time soon.

Now to choose the X rating on the CF to determine what you can run on it.

Vista will not be used because the laptops I have are not Vista compatible.

The OSes used in this are Windows 98SE, 2000 SP4, XP Pro SP2, Red Hat Ent Client (CD version), SUSE, and Slaxware.

Table of the X rating needed
----------------------------------------
98SE | 120X - UP
2K S4 | 120X* 266X - UP
XPP | 120X* 266X - UP
RHE | 120X
SUSE | 120X
SLX | 120X

* Requires massive tweaking to run, not recommended if you like certain features.
* XP requires 5 hours to install, not including configuring.

Current X ratings on the market right now are the 120X, 266X, 300X

Last edited by trikon000; 07-18-2007 at 07:30 PM. Reason: formating

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-15-2007, 11:43 PM

The correct exact multiplier mention above is 6 2/3 or 6.67.

CF IV specifications are for those CF with speeds above 266X, currently you should treat any manufacture claims on CF IV spec as an uncertainty until verified by a trusted source.

Last edited by trikon000; 07-16-2007 at 03:11 PM. Reason: more info on CF specs

Old 07-16-2007, 12:50 PM

Thanks so much for the tutorial (nice work!) and confirming that the A-Data 16GB CF flash works. That's the one I've been eyeballing

Sandisk Sansa E280R + 4GB MicroSDHC (Rockbox baby), Sansa Fuze 4GB Red, Sansa 1GB Clip (2 of them) ($15.00 Buy.com!), Creative Zen 16GB, Zen Vision:M 30GB, Zen Vision:W 60GB, JVC FX66 Air Cushions.

Old 07-16-2007, 01:36 PM

It is the only one sold on newegg.

Old 07-16-2007, 09:46 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Very nice tutorial! Stickied!

Old 07-17-2007, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikon000 View Post
It is the only one sold on newegg.
Yeah, as soon as I have the funds, I will be upgrading my MicroPhoto with this.

I've already done the hard part, getting it open and rebuilding it so it works ... lol

Thanks again for the great info.

Sandisk Sansa E280R + 4GB MicroSDHC (Rockbox baby), Sansa Fuze 4GB Red, Sansa 1GB Clip (2 of them) ($15.00 Buy.com!), Creative Zen 16GB, Zen Vision:M 30GB, Zen Vision:W 60GB, JVC FX66 Air Cushions.

Old 07-17-2007, 10:12 AM

Let me know how yours goes, that way I know I am not the only one who did it.

Old 07-17-2007, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Let me know how yours goes, that way I know I am not the only one who did it.
No problem!

Old 07-17-2007, 01:23 PM
ABI Founder

nice work... Front Page News

Old 07-17-2007, 01:46 PM
Visiting troll from Pocketables

Nice work, but you made one mistake. It's not bits, it is bytes. If it was bits it would be 2 gigabytes. It shows less than 16 just because adata see 16GB as 1000*1000*1000 bytes, while the computer sees it as 1024*1024*1024 bytes

Old 07-17-2007, 03:53 PM

guess that makes me off by a decimal I guess....damn calculator....lol

Old 07-17-2007, 04:16 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Great hack, trikon000! Just a question: will it work for a Zen Micro the same way? (not ZMP)

Congrats!

Old 07-17-2007, 04:21 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
guess that makes me off by a decimal I guess....damn calculator....lol
I think what you were trying to say was, the 16GB is expressed as decimal bytes (16*1000^3), rather than binary bytes (16*1024^3).

Old 07-17-2007, 04:59 PM

16x10^9
......^
That decimal place

the correct base 2 is
16GB by win/lin/mac is 2^34

@Almoxil, I do not have a micro, but since the photo is just an improvement of the micro, I can only speculate that it would work the same. The recovery mode has the same layout for the two.

Old 07-17-2007, 07:55 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Thumbs up

Thanks anyway, trikon000.

Old 07-18-2007, 02:01 AM

Default fix my rio carbon?

any idea if this would work with my rio carbon? The 5GB microdrive in that died a while ago, but I would love to be able to put a CF card in it instead. Could I use the same advice as you had with the zen?

Old 07-18-2007, 03:47 AM

lol, the file server I was using to store the images hit the bandwidth limit of 500MB, I'll try and set up a few more so I do not get the pics blocked.

[EDIT]
I need help finding a image hosting that doesn't limit bandwith or the size of the images. I can't keep making accounts everyday to do this. Please message me if you know of any.

Last edited by trikon000; 07-18-2007 at 11:17 AM. Reason: help?

Old 07-18-2007, 01:09 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I use Photobucket personally. Yes, they limit your file size, but the limitations are rather reasonable. The free account allows images up to 800x600 and gives you 25GB of bandwidth, reset monthly.

Old 07-18-2007, 04:07 PM

doesn't work on the carbon. I tried it with three different firmwares on my beta unit as well as a production model. It would recognize the card and show the space, and I could transfer music via drag and drop, but it would freeze rather quickly the way it would freeze on a rockboxed mini. I think it was wakeup/spindown type commands and causing it to freeze. I went back to the first firmware that made flash use possible and went up to the director's cut version. It would also only go into MTP mode. Every time I'd set it to MSC it would restart and reset to MTP.

My second attempt was a rockboxed mini, but the guy who wrote a patched version of rockbox for it didn't have a working link and didn't get back to me. Thought it'd be nice having a waterproof otterbox to use the mini while paddling and swimming.

So my third attempt is with the microphoto which came today from ebay for less than $40 because they didn't know how to get it out of recovery mode. So I have a working ZMF with 8gb drive and the 16gb adata. Just have to work on getting it apart, and for some reason I can't see the photos in the breakdown thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoubles View Post
any idea if this would work with my rio carbon? The 5GB microdrive in that died a while ago, but I would love to be able to put a CF card in it instead. Could I use the same advice as you had with the zen?

Old 07-18-2007, 05:16 PM

Default Works like a charm on the ZMP (pic attached)

In case my image doesn't show, I attached it for download as well. Worked like a charm on my ultra cheap zmp from ebay. And I now have a perfectly good 8gb drive. Idiots on ebay couldn't take two minutes to format the drive and reload the firmware.

My suggestion for the separation part of the breakdown is to take a small eyeglass screwdriver, and push it straight through to the other side of the case. Then press into the case and down. Repeat on the other side. Was fairly simple.

Only wish I had a waterproof solution like the Mini. I'm so not an ipod fan, but I figure with buying it used and the rockbox firmware, I'm doing squat to support apple and the ipod. Either way, it's time to throw the Sansa e280 and it's meager 9gb onto ebay. Should cover the cost of the zmp and 16gb card.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 16gbZMP.JPG (63.0 KB, 83 views)