android
Old 07-12-2007, 10:16 PM
Insignia Moderator

Exclamation Firmware Version 1.200 Released!

That's right. The wait is finally over. After 7 long months, firmware version 1.200 is here!

To see what's new in this version, check out the feature request list; which I am proud to announce has become the official changelog for this version. Thanks to all who helped make it what it is. Also, thanks to the hard working folks at Insignia who brought this much-needed update to us--however belated it may have been...

Warning:

• There have been a few reports of the player not being able to connect to the computer after this update. Insignia is currently looking into this issue. Proceed with caution...
  • To reduce the risk of any database problems, I recommend formatting the player before upgrading. You can do this by going into the settings menu on the player, and choosing "Erase Internal Memory"
See also: "Reversing the 1.200 upgrade"

Download

Automated Installer (Windows Only)

Manual Installation (Mac / Linux / Windows)

Download and open this zip file (1.58MB) or 7-zip, if you prefer (1.24MB)
You will find two folders in this archive: "Step 1", which contains the firmware itself and "Step 2", which contains the updated font files.

1. Connect your Player and drag the contents of "Step 1" to the root directory of the NS-DV.
2. Disconnect your player, and let it load the firmware. It should then shut off.
3. Connect your player and drag the contents of "Step 2" to the "CONFIG" folder on the NS-DV.
4. Disconnect your player, and let it load the font files. Your update is complete!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-12-2007, 10:41 PM

Holy moly! Wow. I can't wait to check it out! I think I am pretty much speechless. Yay. Thanks Insignia programmers and of course to Tobey too.

Old 07-12-2007, 10:53 PM

Default Firmware 1.200 Release Notes

1. Lossless wma, wma pro, support.
2. Gapless playback (for clear content only)
3. Shows artist and track titles in the “Next” in the music screen.
4. Changed DB file limit to 2000 internal and external.
6. Photo Thumbnail support.
7. Folder Browser support.
8. UI main graphics updated.
9. Wheel seeking implemented for Music/Audible/Video (press and Hold play to enter seek mode).
10. Added a setting for muting sound during Video FF/REW.
11. Seamless playback when connecting to a charger.
12. M3U playlist support.
13. Variable rate seek for FF/RW.
14. Changed 30 second sleep time to 30 mins at the request of users.
15. Alphabetical listings for Video/Audible lists.
16. Ogg Tag support.

Old 07-12-2007, 11:04 PM

Default 16 Minutes

Okay, first impressions:
1. fast forward by holding the forward key works great. The speed steps up very nicely. It took 6 seconds to ff through a 4:40 video.
2. To use the scroll fast forward or reverse. Hold the play/pause key for a good second or so. Make sure it's on the play counter, if not, you'll just be adjusting the volume. Works well.
3. Unit starts and shuts down more quickly. /edit: It's waaay faster.
4. I couldn't pick up the difference before and after gapless playback.
5. It's late and I'm tired, so I'll need to check this in the morning on my good headphones, but I swear the unit sounds better. I normally am around 25 on the volume for a good level, and I had it about 17 and it seemed loud. I'll get a better idea at the gym in the morning.
6. The next song/artist works nicely. Good touch.
7. Photo thumbnails are very good. Nice size.
8. Getting some pretty bad artifacts on videos that played normally on old firmware. Audio and video are way out of sync after a minute or two of video. Will have to play with it some more tomorrow.

Last edited by mattfenn; 07-12-2007 at 11:58 PM.

Old 07-13-2007, 12:17 AM
Insignia Moderator

Nice rundown.

I thought they improved gapless quite a bit. I'm counting 500ms gaps, which is pretty damn good. But yes, it's still not quite gapless...

Old 07-13-2007, 12:41 AM

Great.. Just installed the firmware, and that part when ok. After the update was done, I rebooted the player and I got some sort of "Invalid database" error or something, and it told me to try to format the player. So I go into Settings -> System -> Erase Internal Memory, and it formats the internal card. I turn off the player, plug the USB cable back in, hear the Windows XP "beep beep" to tell me it found a device, but I never get a drive lettter in MSC mode, or a player displayed in My Computer in MTP mode. It DOES show that the player is charging via the cable, but I can't transfer data to it! Hmmmmmmm.. I will try rebooting my PC to see if it's the PC. Keep your fingers crossed.

edit: reboot worked! whew! Time to play!

edt2: I take that back.. When I rebooted, it got me in in MSC mode only, and then after disconnecting (the proper way), I tried re-connecting and Windows did not display the device.. Hmm.

edit3: Can connect as a "Portable device" if I plug the USB cable in about half or 3/4 of the way.. THEN I can read the files but it's MTP mode, I believe.. ?

Last edited by jeffrok; 07-13-2007 at 02:55 AM.

Old 07-13-2007, 06:31 AM

Great update. Turned my lemon of a DVxG into a proper DAP.

It's not listed, but is it just me, or does the radio scan take a bit longer? It's actually good though, because it looks like it's more thorough in its search.

Agreeing with the volume comment; had mine on 22 prior. Seems much louder than before. Could be just me.

Start-up is amazingly fast. Activating the shutdown sequence seems to take longer, and the bar moves slower, but it does shutdown right away.

I played a gapless album, but still caught the gaps.

The new UI isn't really "new"...rather they just made the entire selection visible. It is better though.

Old 07-13-2007, 09:29 AM

Anyone get the installer to work on VISTA?

Everytime I run it I just get a "FWUpdater has stopped responding" error... (and I also tried running it as Administrator)

I guess I'll have to try to run down an XP machine somewhere...

Crappy...

Old 07-13-2007, 10:57 AM

Default Few sweet deals!

there are just a few things i'd like to mention about the new firmware..

1. When scrolling on previous firmwares if you scrolled the wheel too much it would continue going up and down, up and down, even after you stopped scrolling.. with this firmware.. it stops.. right when you do

2. The next thing is a very nice touch

3. I love the new UI.. looks nice.. works nice.. perfect

4. .m3u playlists have made this thing complete

5. Volume seems louder.. used to use it around 25-30.. now 15 is just on the mark

6. Thumbnail feature is nice.. wish they could have like just pictures.. no details..oh well.. lol.

7. the holding play then scrolling through to a specific point in a song works a charm

8. Btw for the previous question.. i'm running Vista Premium.. and the firmware update worked with no faults..

Overall this firmware.. imo.. has completed this player.. origianlly it was a close battle with my ipod nano.. now.. it rapes it.. the nano is out.. the ns-dv4g is in. All of my friends, most of whom own ipods, asked me how much.. and when i told them.. they asked if i could buy them all one! Clearly this player is made right. Excellent update! Keep em coming.

Old 07-13-2007, 11:21 AM

Awesome stuff!

To Digitaldel and the guys that put this all together: Thank You! All I really wanted was m3u support, this was a huge update.

Tobey: How hard is it to not just post a big, bold, all caps, "I TOLD YOU IMPATIENT FOOLS IT WAS COMING!"?

Naysayers: Tobey told you impatient fools it was coming!

Old 07-13-2007, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spedinfargo View Post

Everytime I run it I just get a "FWUpdater has stopped responding" error... (and I also tried running it as Administrator)

Crappy...
You could try using the Mac / Linux instructions and see if that'll do ya.

Old 07-13-2007, 04:03 PM

So, with the new firmware, are we going to launch another feature request list?

Parts I find clunky aka, new feature requests {45 & 6c would go a long way}:
1. FM radio -- it would be convenient to be able to set/clear presets without going to the settings. Use the Pause/Play button to toggle.

2. Song navigation. I must be missing something; I want to be able to browse to the playlist section, tag say 3 playlists and tell it to go. Right now it seems I must tag the first one, say Play. Then go back into the library and "Add the other ones to Now Playing".

My thought would be up/down moves in the playlist (ditto scroller), left/right will change levels (Albums->Roll The Bones->Trk1...), play/pause sets/clears everything at that level and underneath.

3. While playing, hit the up arrow to bring up the queue of the now playing. I'd like more than just the track names on this list...

4. {3}While playing, hold down the Down arrow to delete the track.
4b. Ditto for videos.
You could make the down arrow go to a details screen with encode/fmt info, and <Remove from playlist> <Delete>, pick w/ up/down, select with right. Or re-work with the menu button a la 45

5. {7}Text would be sweet. Especially if you could add a playlist to the background. Not sure how useful, but it would be a nifty toy.

6. When playing the songs/videos, record the path in a text file; that way we could bring back "what's been played" for a true shuffle. Also, if it was deleted during playback, record that -- it would be helpful in pruning my library [afaik, this would be the first time the PC got *useful* data back from the mp3 player].

7. {5c} I still haven't gotten the hang of play/play all...

8. Being able to playback videos @ 1.2x would be neat if the HW could support it (context menu-> playback speed->wheel or up/down)

===

One bad thing - With the new firmware, the Best Buy Racing video is *terrible* in quality. Dunno. Does anybody have a list of what formats are supported / work best?

Old 07-13-2007, 04:13 PM

Err forgot a couple of new feature requests:
9. {24} Folder support in photos/videos (would be like Album name)

10. {59} Slideshow (preferably, create a m3u-like playlist, and be able to show that). Looking at the "directory" doesn't work as well because it seems to be in a different "mode" than Photo or Video. And pretty-please, when doing the wheel thing, don't jump folders. Or make it so you can "hide" a folder from the wheel -- I don't want to "accidentally" jump into the "other" folders...

11. Using the wheel when viewing a still pic should be able to move rapidly from pic to pic (Right now it does nothing...).

Old 07-13-2007, 04:50 PM

Still having problems with my player not working correctly.. I'd like to force the firmware update again. Is there any way to do this, like put the player in a recovery-type mode so I can try it again?

Old 07-13-2007, 06:42 PM

I'm still at F/W 1.104, hoping to update to 1.2 soon.

I'm a little afraid to upgrade because of the few issues some members are having while trying to upgrade to the new version.

I'm very grateful for the new release but i think I'll wait till I hear some of the issues being worked out by the members that have upgrated and are having problems. Can't wait to hear Tobey's comments on the new release!
Thanks!

Old 07-14-2007, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spedinfargo View Post

Crappy...
I don't have my player in hand yet (it's enroute), but I was getting the firmware update ready to go so I can apply it as soon as I get the player here. I'm on vista and had the same problem at first. Right click the .exe, go to properties. Choose the 'Compatability' tab. Check off 'run this program in compatability mode for:' and select 'Windows XP (Service Pack 2)' from the drop down list.

This at least gets the exe running, though obviously without a player I can't test it fully yet

Old 07-14-2007, 01:29 AM

so this firmware will work with the bluetooth model? Thanks

Old 07-14-2007, 01:34 AM
Insignia Moderator

This is for the NS-DV series only, unfortunately. But I'm sure they're working on releasing an update for the bluetooth model.

Old 07-14-2007, 03:58 PM

WOW! I thought I was dreaming when I read this!

Major props to the Insignia team for fixing most of the major problems in the player

Also, is it just me or does the FM signal seem significantly stronger after the FW update?

Old 07-15-2007, 12:16 PM

Same problem as 'jeffrok' but on a mac. It said firmware successfully installed, then something about too much data on the machine, so I erased the internal memory. Now when I plug into usb in 'file and folder' mode, it displays 'searching for pc' and never finds it, so there is no disc image on my desktop. This means there are no files on the player now, and no way to put any on, or load either new or old firmware, as far as I can tell. All I can do is charge the player and play the radio, so I'm even worse off than before. Any ideas?