android
Old 12-07-2007, 10:56 AM

No no no, ok fine lol I'm gonna go and start the wiki page. I found where you posted the info... http://forums.rockbox.org/index.php?topic=14064.30

What about those scans from the guy who did the cracked open review? What's his username on here?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-07-2007, 11:00 AM

I've found a SoC guide for the 3500 amd 3600 series, not sure how useful it would be might be useful for reference

http://sigmatel.com/Korean/documents...uide072307.pdf

Old 12-07-2007, 11:10 AM

Found what could be another datasheet for the STMP3600 with some more detail.

http://www.datasheet4u.com/html/S/T/...matel.pdf.html

Old 12-07-2007, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suleeto View Post
No no no, ok fine lol I'm gonna go and start the wiki page. I found where you posted the info... http://forums.rockbox.org/index.php?topic=14064.30

What about those scans from the guy who did the cracked open review? What's his username on here?
That thread is for the series of sansa players that use a different chipset from the express. I had posted on it to get some feedback.

If somebody wants to open up one of their players and take the scans themselves and post them to Rockbox. The instructions in the page shows how to open them up.

From the looks of things, to get a rockbox port going you need to post as much information as possible in the hope of getting a developer interested or else get a few people from communities like abi to attempt it themselves.

If you want to get the ball rolling you can create a new thread on the Rockbox new port forum.

I've been posting to a few forums and can't find anybody interested in helping with the m200 series and I'm going nowhere with it. From the info that's been gathered a port to the express looks a lot easier. If there is positive feedback to the fdisk results at rockbox, I'm tempted to get an express and try to get things going myself.

Would anyone else be interested in helping? From what i've read it could take as much as a year to get it done.

Old 12-07-2007, 11:40 AM

Ok I have write access to their Wiki now... we need to know how to get into "diagnostic" mode (not the same thing as "recovery" mode). ???

Old 12-07-2007, 11:51 AM

Here's the wiki entry for a new port.

http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/NewPort

Until proven otherwise, we are under the assumption that the firmware is loaded form disk and can be upgraded. The next step is to the firmware upgrade.

From the results of the fdisk it definately looks like there is two partitions, sda1 which is the one where the music files is stored and the 22M one which most likely where the firmware is stored (this is not shown). We need to get access to that one to do the upgrade.

Obviously a copy of the firmware is needed as well to see if it is unencrypted or not.

Old 12-07-2007, 12:19 PM

alsaf, someone already cracked open an Express and posted an article on ABi with lots of pictures. What is his username on here? He can scan the PCB's on both sides for us, then we can go to the task of google-hunting down the chips.

I edited this Rockbox wiki page with a new section called "Pre-Development" and added the Express there (also with its own page, take the link and see):
http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/TargetStatus

Please, if you or anyone else here contributes content via this thread, I will write it to the wiki there.

We need to get in touch with the guy who broke open the Express for ABi!!!!!!! I haven't even received my Express yet (it was ordered for me for Christmas) so no way am I cracking my own open, especially when someone took one for the team already! LOL I'm doing plenty just setting up the wiki and offering to search out chips after I get scans

Old 12-07-2007, 12:47 PM

Hopefully someone else can supply PCB scans if the author of the dissassembly article can't be found.

In the meantime, have to wait for the feedback from Rockbox about the partition info. Hopefully it will be positve.

What I can make of scans on dissasemmbly page:

ESMT M12L16161A http://www.esmt.com.tw/DB/manager/upload/M12L16161A.pdf

SDINB1-1024
http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache...ient=firefox-a

Old 12-07-2007, 02:08 PM

what is this esmt pdf spec sheet... is that the sigmatel chip? I'm still borrowing on my own ignorance of these things lol...

The guy who took it apart said he reassembled it, but it left the buttons all whacky. I've asked him if he'll take it apart again and this time scan the PCB's on a hi-res scanner, since it's already been compromised, but he hasn't said anything yet.

If you want to, you can find him on the same IRC server as the Rockbox crew, but the channel is #anythingbutipod

His name is EnzoTen, or Enzo, or something similar.

Old 12-07-2007, 02:28 PM

The esmt is Dynamic Ram, memory, the same as the PC/laptop you use.

Don't worry about ignorance, I'm in the same boat as myself.

I'll try abi irc channel later on.

Old 12-07-2007, 07:51 PM

Is that relevant? What about the sigmatel chip, do we have information on that?

We need to talk that Enzo guy into reopening his player. He said himself that when he put it back together, it never worked right, it changed the bias of the buttons. Makes no sense for one of us to destroy a perfectly good player when his is already compromised. We just need to convince him to take it apart once again and this time put the PCB front and back on a hi-res scanner.

Once we get hi-res scans of the PCB, I can help identify the components.

Old 01-06-2008, 11:17 AM

I've scanned some pictures of my European model (SDMX6N-1024K-E70). Hopefully this helps identifying parts
Due to maximum zip-file limitation, I'm sending pictures in two messages.
Attached Files
File Type: zip SansaExpress_DevicePictures.zip (1.89 MB, 32 views)

Old 01-06-2008, 11:24 AM

Here's the second part with scanned PCB pictures.

I noticed that if buttons "+" and "UP" are held down during device start, a production test mode activates and device performs some self-checking. To exit from production test just press "+" and "Select" to make hardware reset.

Can somebody tell what tests come after microSD test page? I don't have microSD card installed, so I can't continue production test from that on.
Attached Files
File Type: zip SansaExpress_PCB_Pictures.zip (1.53 MB, 44 views)

Old 02-18-2008, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kape View Post
How come I can't download this file?
I could with the previous....
/M

Old 03-11-2008, 12:18 AM

Help

Does anyone have an update as to how this Rockbox thing is coming along for the Express? I can't seem to find any information regarding it on the Rockbox site, and I would very much like to have a replacement for the default Sansa firmware, seeing as how it's so limited.

Old 03-11-2008, 03:31 AM

There is no Sansa Express port of Rockbox.
And you can expect that noone is doing anything about it.

There seems to be huge obstacles and no way around them.
Main problem is that there's no free compiler for the processor in the Sansa Express - if I understand correctly.

I'm not a RB developer. I only know what I've read.

Old 03-24-2008, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kape View Post

I noticed that if buttons "+" and "UP" are held down during device start, a production test mode activates and device performs some self-checking. To exit from production test just press "+" and "Select" to make hardware reset.

Can somebody tell what tests come after microSD test page? I don't have microSD card installed, so I can't continue production test from that on.
After microSD test page comes a prompt to remove the microSD card and then comes a charging test where charging current and battery voltage is measured.

Then comes Thermo test. It seems to measure battery temperature in something called ADC value or something. It also says the temperature range is 15-25. I assume that's centigrade.

Then comes FM test. It gave me FM radio output for two frequencies.

End of product test.

Old 06-01-2008, 12:10 PM

Just subscribe the thread... (is there any way to do it without posting? I couldn't find any subscribe or track option)

Old 08-09-2009, 08:21 AM

can anybody please give me the datasheet of the oled on board the sansa express?i'm planning to interface the display of my dead sansa express with a microcontroller.