android
Old 08-14-2006, 04:39 PM

Default Headphone suggestions? please

Hi,
Have already posted elsewhere on the forum..asking for much needed advice on putting together a top class Mp3 Player short list..But i thought i would not hang about,,and ask some related questions,on this forum....re-Headphones? i am unsure which type i would prefer..possibly not in ear..or full size or fashion..so Ear-pad headphones it could be? to be honest it is years since i had headphones..so do not really know how things have moved on...in the comfort stakes..but anyway i would value some advice and suggestions,please and once again help in putting together a short list of popular Phones in the above catagory.look forward to your feedback..all the best & many thanks

Steve

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-14-2006, 05:10 PM

Red face

Hi Norksman,

I really think that is a matter of what feels good to you. I need gels in my ear and I prefer the ones that wrap over the ear, but my son needs the old fashion padded headphones. I ended up with 3 headphones before I found one that I could wear for hours. It's hard because you don't get to "try them on" before buying. Perhaps you have friends whose headphones you could borrow for an hour (after a thorough cleaning).

Kim

Old 08-14-2006, 05:24 PM

Hi Kim,
Many thanks for your kind feedback, much appreciated....Yes i agree totally..it would be a case of what feels good to me, as everyone is different..i accept that.
I suppose i am a little bit impatient..as i need to be thinking of ordering both the Mp3 palyer+Headphones ? extras quite soon..
I am English but live in Norway(very expensive place!) and i will be visiting U.K. on September 4th..so wanted to
pre-order online before i arrived,or that was the plan anyway...anyway.

I think the best i can really hope for is a selected short list of top Phones to look at...

any aditional advice e.t.c. very much appreciated

all the very best
Regards
Steve

Old 08-14-2006, 08:48 PM

You might be interested in my list of IEMs (in ear monitors): http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...hread.php?t=69

In ear monitors are not ear-pad style headphones, they're of much higher quality in audio reproduction. You can't compare them to 'normal' head/earphones - give them a try.

Old 08-15-2006, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt
You might be interested in my list of IEMs (in ear monitors): http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...hread.php?t=69

In ear monitors are not ear-pad style headphones, they're of much higher quality in audio reproduction. You can't compare them to 'normal' head/earphones - give them a try.
Hi dfkt
Wow i must thank you my friend...i followed your link and really benefited from reading all the Headphone Info..and feel i have a much better understanding of IEMs..I had none prior to viewing your link? have only seen them, have never tried them out..and as my original post stated..it is many years since i had any Headphones of any type...

I visited some of the Company web site`s to...and even at this early stage i am getting a strong feeling towards the ULTIMATE EARS RANGE!..they (sound) brilliant....just a case of been finally convinced they are the way to go..and if so which model?

Any additional advice .suggestions always welcome..
and many thanks
Regars
Steve

Old 08-15-2006, 07:37 AM

If it turns out that IEM's aren't for you, then I would recommend the Sennheiser PX-100. They are a foam padded, over the ear model (not the ear-muff ones) and they sound great. I ordered mine shortly after I bought my sandisk e250 and couldn't wear the included ear buds. So far no complaints, and I wear them almost every day at work.

If IEM's are for you, then I can also personally recommend the CX-300, also by Sennheiser. I use these at home when I don't want to disturb (or hear ) my wife. Like you I wasn't sure about putting something in my ear, especially after the uncomfortable ear buds, but these are a joy to wear.

Old 08-15-2006, 07:49 AM

Question Choices? in the ear or out of the ear?

Hi Effyman,
and many thanks for your kind reply...I have sort of gone from thinking i would only look at the over the ear type headphone..? but after pursuation i am really quite keen on the Ultimate Ears pro5! every review and post seems to extol the virtues of these in ear type phones,but of course you are quite correct, in ear type may not suit, at the end of the day? we will have to see...i supose i should add the Sennheiser PX-100 to my list.. many thanks
and keep the suggestions flowing

all the best Steve

Old 08-15-2006, 05:30 PM

What type of music do you listen to? If you favor bass, Ultimate Ears and Shure make fine IEMs. However, be aware that IEMs are very poor in soundstage, thus often making sound seem analytical and with little immersion. The Etymotic ER4P are also very good IEMs that offer incredible sound resolution--they are literally renowned as "music microscopes" for their accuracy.

Personally, I prefer circumaural headphones. Although they aren't as portable, they're more immersive and, IMO, more "fun" with their superior soundstage. Depending on your budget, I could recommend a bunch from the bang-for-buck $15US Koss KSC-75's to the $16,000US Sennheiser Orpheus.

If I were you I'd personally settle for the Audio-Technica L3000. They look absolutely beautiful, and pack amazing sound worthy of the price tag.

Ultimately, though, I implore one thing of you: more info please. Please tell us what type of music you listen to primarily, what qualities in music you are looking to emphasize, and your budget as well.

Old 08-15-2006, 06:00 PM

Hi Again,
many thanks for the aditional suggestions re-headphones but i am 99% sure it will be the Ultimate Ears ..if only because the guys who are using um..like them a lot..the reviews are superb1 and whilst i can see that they may not be as immersive as circumaural headphones...i must choose one or the other not both....and whilst at the start of this Mp3 & headphone search, i was very much of the opinion that circumaural headphones..were the way to go..i have been pursuaded by a few folk, on different Forums,that i would not regret using the Ultimate Ears ,and whilst evryone as their own opinions on which is best e.t.c. most seemed to saying to me that the inear are by far the better choice? it`s all subjective i suppose....

So at the momnet i am going for the i Audio 6 +Ultimate Ears .....and i hope i have made the right choice???I have read many Headphone reveiews and of the non in ear type phones..i did not see the Audio Technicas? how do they stack up against the opposition? i refer to Sennheiser...mainly i suppose..i forget the particular models i was reccomended?

But it would take somethig special to change my mind i think..

anyway all the very best to you,my friend

many thanks
steve

Old 08-15-2006, 06:19 PM

Audio Technica, Sennheiser, AKG, Beyerdynamic, Grado, ... all make nice circum/supraaural headphones - soundstage is generally better on those, but they're all a bit huge for a small audio player, some have too high impedance to be driven by the wimpy amps in audio players, and they don't block the outside noise when you're using them in public.

The L3000 seem to be rather gimmicky, though, IMO - $3000 headphones made from 'Hokkaido cherry tree' wood and 'European leather'! Who are they trying to rip off with that? They sure sound good - they better have to, for that price - but the materials are just decadent. Get a Sennheiser HD650 or AKG 701 for $300 - there's one less "0" in the price.

Of course full-sized headphones can be of better quality and similar comfort for listening at home, but I wouldn't recommend those for using them in public.

BTW: I heard that the new-ish Shure E500 do have quite a nice soundstage, as far as IEMs go...

Old 08-16-2006, 11:38 AM

Since both types excel in different areas, many people purchase two different types of headphones for use in different places. Many use in-ear monitors in bustling and busy environments (also where being discreet is a key advantage) and circumaural phones for home listening and in noise-free environments. I personally have used the Etymotic ER4P and Koss KSC-75.

If you're definitely going to settle on an in-ear monitor, I suggest dropping another $15US on a pair of Koss KSC-75's. Excellent circumaural clip-on phones for the price, and you'll have at least two pairs of headphones for versatility; having two sets may even alleviate boredom when/if you get fatigued by one pair.

If anything, I think the Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro with the Koss KSC-75 would be a fine yet relatively inexpensive combination.

Old 08-16-2006, 12:08 PM

Hi again,

Must really thank you for all the effort ...much appreciated..and i do very much take your point re-two pairs of Phones..i had thought of it..but only briefly as i was so focused on the new Mp3 and portability..but i sure will make a note of all your suggestions...

Call me a bit adveturouse? but i was even looking at one of these Mini Head amp/dac combo`s....if it was felt it would add to the set up..but i think the jury is out on that one...as i am told the Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro do not really need any amplification...i forget why..but no matter..it was just me getting a bit carried away..i should not have visited that Head .Org site..they are fanantics..

But i did spend a very long time at the HEADROOM site..loved it..and for their basic package..including the Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro ..i thought i would ask further....

I suspect at the end of the day...i will just go with the basic package...but it`s nice to dream!

I am sorry ,i forgot to answer your questions re-my music tastes....well it`s a very mixed bag..Neil Young, Green Day,Floyd,Deep Purple..Holst...some techno & some hip hop..how`s that for diverse...

anyway all the very best for the moment

cheers
Steve

Old 08-17-2006, 10:32 AM

I consider myself very, very new to the hi-fi world, but found myself in a similar position to yours with my own DAP. I read thousands of posts on the Head-Fi forums to get some good ideas of what I wanted to do. Here's where I'm at right now:

First, I bought a pair of Sennheiser PX-100's. These are great, small, folding, portable headphones that sound fantastic. They are open, so I can hear my phone in my office, or someone talking to me. I love them for this, but that also makes them completely useless on an airplane.

Next I picked up a pair of Grado SR-60's. Many people consider these to be the entry-level hi-fi headphone. I was nervous spending $70 on a pair of headphones, but don't regret it since hearing them. I love my Grados, but again, they're wide open and useless in noisy environments.

I then took the portable amp plunge, again going with entry-level. I picked up a PA2V2 from Electric Avenues (www.electric-avenues.com). I find this little amp to be a wonderful addition to the sound of my portable player. I use it whenever I can listen while stationary, and go without when it's not convenient. Gary sells his amps on eBay, but also directly if you just send him an email. He charges US $60 with worldwide shipping. He is wonderful to deal with and will answer all of your questions quickly and thoroughly. Once nice thing about this little amp is that if you don't care for it or find you don't use it, you can sell it on Head-Fi and probably only lose 5 bucks or so.

Now I'm in the same boat you are. I need some IEM's for travel. Right now I'm looking heavily toward the Etymotic E6i's, but that might change. I just can't spend another $70 on headphones quite yet...this is an addiction!
Grado SR-60

Old 08-17-2006, 02:35 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I've bought a pair of Audio-Technica's ATH-CK7 from Audiocubes for $69 after reading some very good reviews. I hope they'll arrive very soon . This one is from iAudiophile.