android
Old 07-27-2006, 11:26 AM

It looks like they will stick to the no-radio version for Europe. There's an extra tax for the radio function when importing players, and several EU-countries still have a media-tax, e.i. you have to pay a tax for possessing a device capable of radio- and/or tv reception. Like your (our) old "kijk-en luistergeld".
No family/relatives/friends going on vacation, who might buy one for you at another airport/shop, overseas? Thought about ebay? Lots of 'm with radio there.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-11-2006, 03:44 PM

Question where from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by matti20
Today, I received the e260 (US version) and I can say: the FM tuner works absolutely well in Germany. I receive all main radio stations in town.
Hey,

where did you get it from?

Bought in Germany?

Thx and best regards,

iNsuRRecTiON

Old 08-20-2006, 04:15 PM

"Thank you for contacting SanDisk Technical Support. Our european players do not curentley work with the FM function, due to frequency problems. The only way you can have the radio working is if you use an american player in the UK. We are currentley working on a firmware update to get the FM tuner and recording working properly in Europe."

Hmm, if it's true Sandisk must be working on a European model with the FM-radio. I hope it's true because as long it doesn't have the radio i wont buy the E270. Now I have the Sandisk DAP (1GB, Silver) and I use the radio almost as much as the mp3's.

Old 08-21-2006, 11:43 AM

Maybe the new e280 will have the missing FM chip onboard.
In the product description from Sandisk there is no more * which indicates that FM Tuner is not available in Europe.
Perhaps they are able to learn from their customers?
Most Europeans (including me) are very angry that the chip was missing in the actual model range, and can't be activated by US firmware.
A Chip which will probably cost only a few cent...

Old 08-21-2006, 10:37 PM

My Solution

1. Download the US Firmware from here (2 files one ROM one MI4)
http://www.my-audio.net/index.php?op...=fileinfo&id=5
and upgrade the FW

2. Now install the Updater from sandisk
http://www.sandisk.com/Retail/Default.aspx?CatID=1376

3. Use the updater to update the unit.

Worked for me

Old 08-22-2006, 06:00 AM

what exactly worked for you? updating the firmware with a US version or getting the FM radio working?

Old 08-22-2006, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoodar
"Thank you for contacting SanDisk Technical Support. Our european players do not curentley work with the FM function, due to frequency problems. The only way you can have the radio working is if you use an american player in the UK. We are currentley working on a firmware update to get the FM tuner and recording working properly in Europe."

Hmm, if it's true Sandisk must be working on a European model with the FM-radio. I hope it's true because as long it doesn't have the radio i wont buy the E270. Now I have the Sandisk DAP (1GB, Silver) and I use the radio almost as much as the mp3's.
something isn't right with this. If there are frequency problems, then surely the US versions won't work over in Europe either! So why bother buying the US version??

Old 08-22-2006, 06:30 AM

American radio's work fine in Europe. I had the same answer from Philips support regarding the HDD6330, sold in Europe as HDD6320, missing the radio.
"American HDD6330's radio will not function in Europe". It's an utter lie, it works fine, and so does the radio on the sansa, on one bought from the USA.

Old 08-22-2006, 07:28 AM

yes we all know that.. it is surprising to me that this is still discussed as we noticed a variation in hardware details.

its simple: EU players = NO RADIO (you can activate it through the US firmware but u wont be able to get any stations, in other words it wont work)

US players = RADIO (they have that chip that is missing in the eu version.. this is why the radio of the american players in europe work fine.)

...now please, this could be wrong but it is pretty obvious that it isnt working. if u live in europe like i do and u want a radio get urself one from america or wait for the e280 which seems to have a radio chip in all version!

Old 08-22-2006, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnupi
yes we all know that.. it is surprising to me that this is still discussed as we noticed a variation in hardware details.

its simple: EU players = NO RADIO (you can activate it through the US firmware but u wont be able to get any stations, in other words it wont work)

US players = RADIO (they have that chip that is missing in the eu version.. this is why the radio of the american players in europe work fine.)

...now please, this could be wrong but it is pretty obvious that it isnt working. if u live in europe like i do and u want a radio get urself one from america or wait for the e280 which seems to have a radio chip in all version!

oooh hark at you!

Old 08-22-2006, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcharge
what exactly worked for you? updating the firmware with a US version or getting the FM radio working?
Both US + Radio
And I have photos of my unit before the upgrade with the EU version

Old 08-23-2006, 04:02 AM

Hi!
Could you put your files on www.rapidshare.de
I'm going to try your method.
Many thanks.

Old 08-23-2006, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeshaib
Both US + Radio
And I have photos of my unit before the upgrade with the EU version
But you must have had the US version with the chip in right? Otherwise this would be great!

Old 08-24-2006, 06:10 AM

So is there anybody who get worked radio function on EU version except yeshaib ? If it works I'll buy sanso e270

Old 08-24-2006, 06:29 AM

NO! I have downloaded the new soft 1.01.11A, for my E270, and i tried to update it with Sandisk updater, but it didn't work... I bought my E270 in Croatia... All that i got, was only the Radio icon, but there is no sound...

Old 08-24-2006, 01:11 PM

I've just installed the new US firmware (uploaded here by Slaughter) and lo and behold... FM menu and options, but no sound. The chip isn't in there.

Old 08-24-2006, 11:53 PM

I don't know if I have the US version...
I can open the unit and take photos

Old 08-26-2006, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNsuRRecTiON
Hey,

where did you get it from?

Bought in Germany?

Thx and best regards,

iNsuRRecTiON

...sorry for the late answer - I was on vacation. I got it from Amazon.com. Maybe U have a friend in the US...

Old 08-30-2006, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeshaib
My Solution

1. Download the US Firmware from here (2 files one ROM one MI4)
http://www.my-audio.net/index.php?op...=fileinfo&id=5
and upgrade the FW

2. Now install the Updater from sandisk
http://www.sandisk.com/Retail/Default.aspx?CatID=1376

3. Use the updater to update the unit.

Worked for me
Brilliant, thanks this works really well. Got the Fm Radio icon but no sound, which isn't really a problem, as the main reason I wanted the Us firmware on my UK bought model is the new custom EQ and the increase in volume. Thanks for the help and for the links.

Old 08-31-2006, 03:12 AM

I just bought an e270, and don't care about the radio
What I would like to do though is listen to music while charging the battery. In the user manual it clearly says that you can not use the player while connected with USB, but if you use an AC adapter it will work.

Of course, SanDisk does not sell any AS adapters....how stupid is that??
I guess there are some kind of generic adapter I can buy? I saw some guy here was going to buy a Hama USB charger http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...lance&n=560798, but won't that be the same as connecting to the USB port?

Thanks!