android
Old 05-31-2006, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonn
So in my case everything got overwritten but the radio still didnt work, so there must be something missing from inside
Doesn't sound good to me

So the last hope is now that the radio is there but is disconnected somehow and that some genius comes up with a way of connecting it again .

/Hjulskov

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-31-2006, 01:07 PM

Thumbs down

Hi guys,

I'm a french user who has just received his e270, after having long studied which mp3 player would be the best for me. And I'm so disappointed that it has no fm tuner, on contrary to what was displayed on the merchant website where I bought it.

So I called the Sandisk support in US and they told me :
# players for EU and US are identical from a hardware point of view, just the software changes.
# they couldn't give me a solution to enable the fm radio on my player, and firmware upgrade wasn't the solution according to them
# they've received a lot of complaints from european users and they're starting to think something must be done but nothing official...

So I'm thinking to get it back and choose another one. This tax on mp3 players with fm tuner is really annoying (in a polite way).

Regards,
Mfenetre

Old 05-31-2006, 02:00 PM

Question

A quick update.

I've replaced the two files at the root at the player directory as described previsously and I've successfully upgraded with the american firmware.

As the others, I can now see the radio menu but nothing can be heard. Changing radio settings like the zone (World) has no effect.

I've thought about what was said about the fact that the firmware on the player had the same number than the new one, so maybe the new firmware was not really fully installed. I've modified in the version.txt and version.sdk files the version number of the firmware, changing 12 to 11. I've upgraded the firmware one more time, and the Sandisk software has told me that the current version of my player firmware was 11 and that I was ready to upgrade to version 12. I did that, but no effect either.

If upgrading with the american firmware, radio-enabled, doesn't do the trick, does someone really thinks that there is some kind of tip to activate this radio function ? I mean, what kind of action/research can we make now ?

/mfenetre

Old 05-31-2006, 02:26 PM

Question

Well, I was thinking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfenetre
So I called the Sandisk support in US and they told me :
# players for EU and US are identical from a hardware point of view, just the software changes.
Quote:
I've successfully upgraded with the american firmware.
As the others, I can now see the radio menu but nothing can be heard.
So logically european player + american firmware = american player if the support is true... But the radio doesn't work... So does it prove that there is some hardware difference between european and american firmware ? And if that's the case, there are some goog chances that we're screwed... But maybe I'm lacking a bit of optimism

Old 05-31-2006, 02:31 PM

thanks very much for ur commitment mate.. im gonna get my e270 soon and try it myself.. well i could be wrong but is the firmware upgrading every single file on the mp3player? if they say that a FW update cant do it .. it may be in some piece of software which is not upgraded in the FW update or something.. well i dunno cauz i dnt ve it yet. erm well maybe they will release the radio functionality with the next FW release or something i dunno..lets keep the hope up

Old 06-01-2006, 03:28 AM

Have you folks considered returning the units? A company like Sandisk doesn't care about your complaints once it has bagged your money, but returned units and reduced revenue tends to get noticed.

Holding back on a radio used to be popular, but these days most other serious companies just take the slight price hike when selling in Europe. I'd expect this from no-name 19 players, not from someone trying to build a position in the industry.

Old 06-01-2006, 12:18 PM

Yes in fact I've thought about returning the Sandisk e270. I'm quite sure I'll do that. I've warned the merchant website in France that their webpage had a mistake on it (no radio for european version should be displayed on their webpage).

Now I don't know if I'll choose another player instead of the sandisk e270 (which would be a pity because I've studied the concurrents and for me the e270 was the best-fitted to my desires) or if I'll buy it overseas (for example www.neutronexpress.com), but it's long...

Schnupi where did you order you e270 ? Is it the european or us version ? Has anyone in Europe bought an us version ? Maybe it could help us to identify the differences between the two models...

Old 06-01-2006, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Yes in fact I've thought about returning the Sandisk e270. I'm quite sure I'll do that. I've warned the merchant website in France that their webpage had a mistake on it (no radio for european version should be displayed on their webpage).

Now I don't know if I'll choose another player instead of the sandisk e270 (which would be a pity because I've studied the concurrents and for me the e270 was the best-fitted to my desires) or if I'll buy it overseas (for example www.neutronexpress.com), but it's long...

Schnupi where did you order you e270 ? Is it the european or us version ? Has anyone in Europe bought an us version ? Maybe it could help us to identify the differences between the two models...
France right... so you ordered from Pixmania?
if so i also went for that one.

Old 06-01-2006, 02:33 PM

ye the website i bought it from is not much better though since they have it in stock they changed the description and removed the FM Tuner bit.. i ordered it from a german page ( the e270 that is) and apparently it already arrived at my friends' house and he is goin to send it over to me soon .. a bit complicated i know but better then ordering it from america. u know why? i tell ye, because if the player breaks you have to wait verrrrrry long to get it back or something. at least u can return it quickly in europe etc.

thats the german website i ordered it from http://www.mp3-player.de/artikel.php?ArtNr=2696

i ve another irish page but i think they still dont have it in stock yet and they are actually advocating that there will be no FM support for the EU version of the player..

well lets hope that rockbox develops a firmware that will allow us to use the FM tuner + recorder.. it ll take a while but i am quite good at waiting

Last edited by schnupi; 06-01-2006 at 02:48 PM.

Old 06-01-2006, 02:36 PM

Talking

I've bought an e260 in France from Nomatica. It is probably an american version because I have the radio... I've sent an email before ordering to be sure the radio was activated on the player and they confirmed...
Perhaps you could ask Nomatica whether the e270 got FM tuner...
Good luck !

Old 06-01-2006, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Kramer
I've bought an e260 in France from Nomatica. It is probably an american version because I have the radio... I've sent an email before ordering to be sure the radio was activated on the player and they confirmed...
Good luck !
i just googled for nomatica and found out that they are part of expansys.. now the irish page i was referring to was expansys ireland. they dont have it in yet and as i said they advocate that it doesnt have a FM tuner.. the e270 that is. so i dunno its all weird

Old 06-01-2006, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonn
France right... so you ordered from Pixmania?
if so i also went for that one.
No, it was from www.digit-photo.com.
About 50€ cheaper than pixmania, nice customer service with a real phone number and not an overtaxed hotline, quick delivery... Really nice.

Old 06-01-2006, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Kramer
Good luck !
Ok I've checked the nomatica website...
The page for the e270 is http://www.nomatica.fr/product.asp?code=130220&tab=1, and for e260 http://www.nomatica.fr/product.asp?code=130219&tab=1. For both it's written :

Quote:
Digital FM tuner, on-the-fly FM recording*,
* not available in Europe
So ok. I'm going to write an e-mail right now to nomatica just to be sure of that. I'll keep you posted with the results. Anyway, I've asked digit-photo.com to order the us version for me and they told me they couldn't because of import tax fees. Wait and see... If nomatica sells the us version, I'll owe you a big thank you Wayne.

Old 06-01-2006, 06:32 PM

I've sent the e-mail to nomatica, I hope to have the answer tomorrow friday. You're right schnupi when you say that buying something in the US can be dangerous/frustrating if you have some trouble with the product... That's why I hesitate to do that.

Anyway, I'm waiting for answers from nomatica and digit-photo, I'll tell you what the answers'll be asap. Thank you everyone for sharing your information and tips, it's really helpful !

Old 06-02-2006, 03:55 PM

A quick update...

I have asked a few merchant websites in France to know which version they were selling. So far I got only answers saying that it was the eu version, as it may be expected... But no news from nomatica. I'll keep you posted.

Back on the topic of the radio tuner, perhaps the alternative firmware from rockbox may bring us a solution, as you said before schnupi.

Old 06-02-2006, 05:25 PM

ye but the question is when will that be released. it is actually even questionable if they are going to release a rockbox version. it looks like they are not interested in porting the e200's. they are willing to give advice and help but they are not going to make a FW apparently.. well i just hope somebody finds out how to activate it

Old 06-03-2006, 05:49 PM

hi guys,

can please an american user try if his tuner is still working when using some other earphones?
because maybe the fm tuner needs the earphones to catch the fm singal. and if so, when the european users have correctly enabled the fm tuner menu, but are still using earphones not beeing able to catch any signal, then it would be clear, why their fm tuner is not working...

Old 06-03-2006, 06:03 PM

The antenna should not be an issue, as it uses standard wiring for both channels. Either way, you should at least hear static if you turn up the volume. Until someone opens up the EU version and compares it to a US model, then we will know if its hardware or software related.

Old 06-07-2006, 07:22 AM

No news? =(

Old 06-09-2006, 02:48 PM

Default Do you guys have a screw driver ?

Before returning your units, why don't you disassemble some European E200 to see if it comes with the FM tuner circuit ?

From the pictures in the ABI review, the FM radio is the circuit under the golden metal RF shield, next to the headphone connector. You can see the coils looking at the side of the board. You probably don't need to remove the shield to see if there are any components underneath. If the components are there, removing the shield and comparing with a US unit could reveal if anything is disconnected.

Hope this helps ...