android
Old 05-24-2006, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joknjokn
Ís it possible to weight the american and the european version to se if there is "missing" som small stuff in the european?
-or even better -Could someone (not me ) take apart their EU version and compare with the pictures in the review?

/Hjulskov

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-24-2006, 12:28 PM

i really wouldnt say that u would b able to see a difference

Last edited by schnupi; 05-24-2006 at 03:42 PM.

Old 05-25-2006, 08:40 AM

erm i just ordered the e270 from a german page for €230 (around US$ 290) and just to say it again it says in the description that FM Tuner is not included.. im just hopping that someone figures out how to enable the radio on it

did anyone try to install the complet american FW 12 on the european version?!

Last edited by schnupi; 05-25-2006 at 08:43 AM.

Old 05-25-2006, 03:13 PM

Someone should try the new "emergency" mode procedure to try to flash the US firmware onto there. They should probably edit version.sdk and version.txt to match a US version if they are brave enough, as thats what the flashing program probably uses.

Old 05-26-2006, 07:01 AM

Guys, didn't you read this thread? Jaer got the US firmware on his player. It didn't work.

Old 05-26-2006, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis
Guys, didn't you read this thread? Jaer got the US firmware on his player. It didn't work.
Hmm.. Optimism is the answer...

Old 05-26-2006, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis
i thought he jus took parts of it not the whole FW.. ah well i suppose i read too fast through the posts nd dont pick up everything

Quote:
Hmm.. Optimism is the answer...
exactly.. keep the hopes up cause in the end thats all that we have

Old 05-26-2006, 10:14 PM

Until we get PCB shots of the Euro version, we won't know for sure. I suspect the radio tuner is controlled via the i2c bus, which may just not be connected (or cut) in the Euro version. Can anyone that disassembled this player put up or send me pics of the area between the SoC and FM tuner, along with the backside of this same area? Better yet, a high quality scan of the whole PCB would be even better.
It might just be a simple mod to activate it, as changing the production line for 2 different version would cost more than including the small chip for FM on it.

Old 05-27-2006, 02:13 AM

Well i got in touch with sandisk customer support and thats what they had to say about the radio
Quote:
Your Question/Problem:
The US version sansa has the FM tuner, but the european does not, even though a few weeks ago the sansa product preview said that the european sansa will only be missing the on the fly FM recording. Is there any way to get the FM tuner to work on the european model?

SanDisk Response: (05/26/2006 07:47)
Hello,

Thank You for contacting Sandisk Technical Support.

I have read your email and apologize for any inconveniences the issue may be causing you.

Unfortunately the european model doesn't support FM turner and there is no firmware update availalbe that will make the Radio works on the european version.

We appreciate your interest in SanDisk products.

Best Regards,
Landry M.
SanDisk Technical Support

Old 05-27-2006, 04:22 AM

of course they are going to say that.. i mean they are not going to tell u how to do it if they officially dont sell it wit radio. can someone make some high resolution pics of the eu version? i have to wait until the 20 june for my e270..

Old 05-28-2006, 01:54 PM

As I wrote in an earlier post I did modify version.sdk and version.txt to reflect the American version. This is enough to get the firmware to recognize it as being from that region and flash the A version of the firmware on to the player. This gives you the FM radio menues but no functional radio. Sorry to repeat this info but there seemed to be some misunderstandings still.

No further luck since then. I was also in contact with Sandisk support but got a much less clear answer than Jonn. I believe the answer Jonn got is closer to the truth because the one I got below is just a random rambling in my opinion, and we know it is not true. Anyway, the question were,

1. Is the hardware identical in the EU and non-EU versions?
2. Is it possible to activate the FM reciever if it at the moment it is not active in my player?
3. Could You advice me to what would be needed in the case it is possible to activate it?

And the extremely clear, and symptomatic of todays technical support, answer to these questions....
--------------------
Thank You for contacting Sandisk Technical Support.

I have read your email and apologize for any inconveniences the issue may be causing you.

You should be able to get the radio by downloading the firmware update on our website.
The radio station is usually not available for European customers but in some cases it works. So you can try and see.

If you have any further problems or questions, please feel free to contact us back at any time.
We appreciate your interest in SanDisk products.
---------------------

/Jaer

Old 05-28-2006, 03:47 PM

thanks for ur input mate... hmm im gonna see nd try it when i got my e270 on 20 june.. is there any chance of any of yas uploading high resolution pics and some user wit the american version compares it?!

Old 05-29-2006, 11:05 AM

Jaer, could you please make a tiny guide to install non-eu firmware? how to change the versionfiles.. maybe the radio will work for someone.. =)

Old 05-29-2006, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Jaer, could you please make a tiny guide to install non-eu firmware? how to change the versionfiles.. maybe the radio will work for someone.. =)
I would also like to try on my e250.
But first of all I'll like to do a compare of config files -maybe someone could send me the US version of the files:
* version.sdk
* VERSION.TXT

Thanks in advance,
Hjulskov

Old 05-29-2006, 01:07 PM
ABI Founder

Here is a version for the e250. It could possibly be modified for the e260 and e270. Try this at your own risk.

Last edited by EnzoTen; 09-08-2007 at 06:15 PM.

Old 05-29-2006, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnzoTen
Here is a version for the e250. It could possibly be modified for the e260 and e270. Try this at your own risk.
Thanks EnzoTen

I managed to get the radio showing in the device (but not working) like Jaer by doing:

1. Backup the two original EU version.* files from the root of the device.
2. Copy the two US version.* files into the root (overwriting the old ones)
3. Run the firmware installer

I take no responsibility of the steps above -do it on your own risk.

I can select World under radio settings, but there is no sound in radio mode.

Btw. I compared the EU and US version files -only difference is an 'A' instead of 'E' in the versionnumbers and region America instead of Europe.

/Hjulskov

Last edited by hjulskov; 05-29-2006 at 01:41 PM.

Old 05-30-2006, 12:57 AM

When thinking about it -the upload of the firmware from PC was a little too fast -I suspect that the installer maybe checks which firmware is currently installed and as my e250 already had 01.00.12 installed it maybe didn't do a full install?

Maybe it will work when we upgrade to next version or maybe we could try to downgrade to the previous version -does anyone have that?

/Hjulskov

Old 05-30-2006, 03:35 AM

thats a very good point there.. u mean like it installed jus the basic files and not everything? .. sounds right to me anyway

Old 05-30-2006, 05:39 AM

i did it a little differently:
extracted the firmware from e200fw01.00.12.exe with winrar
got 2 folders SKU_A and SKU_E. A for american
turned off the player, switched on hold, then held down the quickrecord button and turned on the player and copied the contents of SKU_A and the VERSION.TXT that EnzoTen provided. disconnected the player and restarted again.
So in my case everything got overwritten but the radio still didnt work, so there must be something missing from inside

Old 05-30-2006, 07:24 AM

fm-menu, no sound... argh.. same here