android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Speakers

Old 06-24-2007, 08:00 PM

Default Good Boomboxes w/ Audio Input?

I was just curious to see if anyone has any good suggestions for boomboxes with MP3 player connectivity. Ideally, the system should be fairly inexpensive, but not at the sacrifice of sound quality...any ideas?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-24-2007, 08:05 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The JVC's are among the best you can buy - earthshattering bass:
http://www.jvc.com/product.jsp?model...thId=36&page=1
http://www.jvc.com/product.jsp?model...thId=36&page=1

Old 06-24-2007, 08:22 PM

Whoof, at $275 that's a rather spicy meatball...

Plus, that thing also looks like it could survive nuclear war.

Old 06-24-2007, 08:30 PM
Ultra Senior Member

You wanted boombox, you got boombox - not pocket radio.

Yeah, it's expensive, but it can take on some home stereo sets with ease.

Old 06-24-2007, 08:36 PM
Ultra Senior Member

dfkt, you da man!

Without a doubt the best on the market, as I can attest to cause I have one

20 lbs, and small mp3 players fit into the remote case on the strap

Edit: OBTW, we got ours for US $228.00

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 06-25-2007, 11:37 AM

http://www.wttool.com/product-exec/p...Job_Site_Radio

Rockford Fosgate.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 30746250.jpg (18.0 KB, 31 views)

Old 06-25-2007, 12:52 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I don’t own a Rockford Fosgate sound system, but I do have a friend that did. This as well is a killer system for the price and I would have no problem owning one.

I really like the industrial look/feel/build, the Milwaukee Power Plus battery system and the sound produced with the 3-stage Punch EQ bass boost. Although if you’re a bass head, it doesn’t hold a leg against the Kaboom

On another note, the mfg tends to exaggerate with their statement:
Quote:
"The Job Site Radio can withstand an 8-foot drop to concrete,”.
I wouldn’t try it as my friends broke from a lower fall and now he too owns a Kaboom

Old 06-25-2007, 12:58 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray View Post
I don’t own a Rockford Fosgate sound system, but I do have a friend that did. This as well is a killer system for the price and I would have no problem owning one.
We got a 15" Rockford/Fosgate subwoofer in my girlfriend's car, driven by a 600W Ground Zero amp... I can testify about it's destructive power.

I think the original poster was looking for less "impactful" things... well, I don't know of any other good boomboxes - for me, it's sound quality before style/portability/size...

Old 06-25-2007, 01:30 PM

http://www.wttool.com/product-exec/p..._Radio_Charger
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 30840135.jpg (29.6 KB, 17 views)

Old 06-25-2007, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
I think the original poster was looking for less "impactful" things... well, I don't know of any other good boomboxes - for me, it's sound quality before style/portability/size...
I think you're right...I'm mainly looking for something to use as a more compact system (since actual compact stereo systems are generally visually unappealing) that could eventually be hooked up to a dock for my Zen Vision:M. In my personal opinion, this would be a better choice than getting a PlayDock Z500 because it doesn't abandon CDs as a medium (since the futurists who think CDs are obsolete are complete nutjobs ), and with a reasonable amount of research it could be comparably effective and far less expensive. Also, I don't think the PlayDock has a built-in FM radio tuner...sure, the player itself does, but keep in mind that this would result in relatively crappy reception compared to an internal radio tuner with an actual antenna. And finally, I don't want a sound system that forces me to connect another device to it in order to do anything with it at all.

Old 08-13-2007, 01:16 PM

I've been lookoing for a portable system that wouldn't rely heavily on my player's battery, (IE it has it's own darn battery) and I can't afford to drop over $100 on a system it also can't be too big because I want to be able to carry it with one arm lol I mainly want to use ot for an outdoors type deal (did someone say "POOL PARTY?!") but it doesn't have to be waterproof. just able to put out some volume.

Old 12-31-2007, 12:44 AM
Redneck Moderator

I was going to suggest the Milwaukee/Rockford Fosgate but looks like its already been suggested. I use this beast at work(I paint houses) and you can hear it clear through the whole house and it still maintains good sound quality, I've tried that Dewalt one too but wasn't as impressed. You can also get the Li-ion batteries for the Milwaukee(Same batteries that their tools use) so you can use it anywhere.

Old 12-31-2007, 10:25 PM

No question in my mind that the current 'state of the art' in boombox that you can plug a MP3 player into is the Harmon Kardon Go Play. We have 3 coming. It has great bass - but accurate and balanced with the rest of the spectrum. True 120 watt RMS. It gets very loud. As remarkable as the potent accurate bass is the clarity of the whole system up to the upper frequencies.

The only MP3 player that surpasses it that I've heard is the Klipsch iFi hanging on my wall...and then not better in terms of accuracy either. iFi is better simply because it has that subwoofer and more power.

Check Amazon's reviews. Only Mp3 speaker i've seen that averages 5 star in review - and well deserved. Check ilounge's review and see that is the best sounding all in one unit - exceeding the Apple HiFi and such. Many of these units it beats are significantly larger and heavier! Good enough that we have 3 units coming.

By the way, both systems are designed for Ipods but we have never owned an Ipod and are happy plugging through the auxillary input.

ULUL

Old 01-15-2008, 08:42 PM

Shameless bump to show off my new giant KA-BOOM box I heard one of those JVC monsters several years ago and it sounded pretty darn good, I imagine they're even better these days.

It deserves a giant picture

Old 01-15-2008, 09:19 PM

Sony CFDG505 CD Radio Cassette Recorder Boombox

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-CFDG505-C...0449919&sr=8-4

PS: Hey whats up with that iPod ?? not cool..

haha

Old 01-15-2008, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emfa View Post
Sony CFDG505 CD Radio Cassette Recorder Boombox

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-CFDG505-C...0449919&sr=8-4

>>> PS: Hey whats up with that iPod ?? not cool.. <<<

haha
Stewie says it's cool

Old 06-17-2008, 04:42 AM

I was also interested in the jvc but saw that it only had 20wattsx2subwoofers + 6wattsx2mids/highs = 52watts total. The Harman Kardon go play is smaller and does over 100watts output. And it's only a bit more expensive.

Old 06-17-2008, 07:14 AM
Ultra Senior Member

You do know that output wattage doesn't mean anything for the sound quality, and only very little for the peak volume levels? Manufacturers cheat anyways with their specs... not everything is as big a lie as PMPO vs. RMS watts, but still: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_power

My home amp has true 30W RMS... and I dare you turn the volume wheel more than a quarter.

Best you try both the JVC and Harman in a store and decide which one sounds better.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:18 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nywytboy68 View Post
Tried out the JVC KaBOOM Box a while back - it really kicks some @#%!!!! Gonna get 1 myself prob in a month. Forget getting another DAP (was gonna' get a Zune80) as my D2 has me hatin' every other player on the market. The BaBOOM Box w/the D2 - Oh YEAH!!! Blastin' the neighbors while BBQin' - gonna ' enjoy THIS summer!!!
The JVC kaboom is a great selection nywytboy68, I'm sure you'll enjoy it as much as we do ... we use ours all the time outdoors, it rocks! btw did you see our kaboom pics in the "show off your portable audio stuff" thread here. The i7 fits nicely into the remote case on the strap

Old 06-17-2008, 09:45 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
The JVC kaboom is a great selection nywytboy68, I'm sure you'll enjoy it as much as we do ... we use ours all the time outdoors, it rocks! btw did you see our kaboom pics in the "show off your portable audio stuff" thread here. The i7 fits nicely into the remote case on the strap
HeHe,....... sorry - removed my original post .

Yes, I saw your pics and thats what re-sparked my interest in getting 1. Great boombox, and it's had the ability to hook up an mp3 player for a while. The fact that your i7 nests almost perfectly, like it was MADE for Cowon players, is probably the final selling point for me. The AWESOME sound of it is a draw also !!!

PS: Personally, IMO, this is a better pairing than the Zune+Kicker for my uses (CHEAPER as I already have my D2 - lovin' it!!!). If I'd had a Zune still the Kicker would be mine (@$50.00 bucks off through the link here on ABi - and who said the advertising doesn't serve a purpose?).