android
Old 03-07-2007, 09:47 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Default Meizu Music Card

I was just reading the News Article, Meizu Music Card Details and, with it's colours in black and white, thin width, small screen, minimal design and seemingly plastic casing, the player sickeningly reminded me of the iPod Nano. Does anyone else think this?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-07-2007, 02:28 PM

Yeah It looks way to much like a ipod nano

I mean Meizu players are better the ipods sound/features wise, but I mean come on, come up with your own design.

I still would own one over a ipod though anyday.

Old 03-09-2007, 12:02 AM

Yeah, way too much like an iPod nano. But also alot less attractive. Nano's look pretty cool with the scroll wheel, but I'm not into the long bar that meizu has. I really like the Meizu M6, but this one isn't impressive to me.

Old 03-09-2007, 08:44 AM

Nicer screen, worse controls. That was a contest winner? Sheesh

Old 03-09-2007, 02:45 PM

Same opinion as spardasieg. If you want to sell more, you just have to make your own design. Even if the design isn't that good you have to try to make it good, not to copy someone's else design. I bet that if the Sansa was the most popular DAP they have made the Sansa design. But hey, that's the Chinese style (no offense)...
Headphones: Technics RP-HT300 | Panasonic RP-HT202|JVC HA-FX55
Sansa Rockbox Themes: KratoGlass|KratoSky|KratoJet|JetoKrat

Old 03-09-2007, 03:31 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander View Post
... the player sickeningly reminded me of the iPod Nano. Does anyone else think this?
The M6 also looked like an iPod... that's just the way Meizu does it... they dont have the most creative designer team, it seems. I don't like touch controls at all, but the technical specs of Meizu are more or less on par with Cowon/iAudio, so they deliver a lot more than most competitors. I'll try to ignore the design if the specs are right, in this case.

BTW, this player looks more like a ZV:M turned flash player, IMO.

Old 03-09-2007, 05:46 PM

Well, the GUI does. I thought that myself, which is why I like the screen.

Old 03-09-2007, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander View Post
I was just reading the News Article, Meizu Music Card Details and, with it's colours in black and white, thin width, small screen, minimal design and seemingly plastic casing, the player sickeningly reminded me of the iPod Nano. Does anyone else think this?

The picture is old. Since then, both the dimensions (new molds were made) and colors have changed. This is a reason why I haven't been using the pictures much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by electrick_eye View Post
Nicer screen, worse controls. That was a contest winner? Sheesh
NOT the contest winner. The contest was just for "fun".

Old 04-18-2007, 12:44 AM

what doesnt look like an ipod? beside, who made apple #1? an ipod is not a standard of any kind, almost all players of equal price will blow away the ipod. apple was not the first at using HDD's for mp3 players, they were not the first at touch tech (wheel, screen etc), they are not the first to use stupid 30 second animations per menu, they were not the first to perfect anything either. the ipod is FAR from perfect. it cant even play video's FFS (in regards to the nano).

a free peice of software for PPC's and PDA phones will blow away the ipod. (TCPMP)

Old 05-03-2007, 02:23 PM

I have both a white M3 4gb and a black M3 8gb, and they look exactly like those pictured.

With that clarified…

They are simply wonderful DAP units, with outstanding build quality, looks, and codec support.

As for the ‘It Looks Like Nano’ Rhetoric, I say… BAH!

The M3 is much smaller (less tall) than the 1st Gen NANO, and the 1.56 inch screen looks much better proportioned on the M3... Overall a much beter use of space on the M3 than the 1st Gen NANO.

I could do without the ‘finger-print/scratch’ magnet back-plate, but a lot of people must like it…
Just Not Me!

At least MEIZU has the courtesy to provide a very tough and well designed cover for the front of the player to help keep it nice and looking new.

Old 05-03-2007, 04:02 PM

Sorry to criticize what you are saying but it is really nasty to have a player that looks like the best selling player all time. It's just a chinese strategy to sell more. If you read this threadyou can see what other people think about this problem. I can't judge the meizu because I don't have one but I know it's much better than an iPod. But if Meizu can design their players without "cheating", then more people will buy it, and nobody will say that the player is an iPod wannabe.

Old 05-03-2007, 07:09 PM

For many of us, to whom features, sound quality and value matter far more than this nonsensical 'Who Copied Whom' Nonsense, MEIZU can design the players anyway they see fit, as long as those three attributes remain their sole priority.

Simply because a DAP is rectangular in shape, has a display at the top, controls at the bottom, with a metal back, does NOT make it a clone of anything.

And isn't it all a moot point as the NANO has abandoned this design theme anyway?

This is no more a clone of the 1st gen NANO than was the 1st gen LEXUS LS400 a clone of the Bruno designed Mercedes S-Class, or the Seiko Men's Scuba a clone of the Rolex Submariner...

They are similar in design theme, but the 'Devil's in the Details'... Which Are Completely Different...

So, Please... Give It a Rest!

Old 05-04-2007, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post
Simply because a DAP is rectangular in shape, has a display at the top, controls at the bottom, with a metal back, does NOT make it a clone of anything.
That's true. But check all Creative, Cowon, iRiver or Samsung players. None of them resembles a bit to the iPod. Those producers have a "fear" of resembling to any Apple products. They don't want to make a product that looks like an iPod so they design it themselves. Designing it yourself means that you can make it look ugly, but also look nice. Some of them made players that look nice, some of them are really horrible. But at least they tried to make another design. Meizu didn't do that, they just "inspired" themselves from the iPod. And that's impeachable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post
This is no more a clone of the 1st gen NANO than was the 1st gen LEXUS LS400 a clone of the Bruno designed Mercedes S-Class, or the Seiko Men's Scuba a clone of the Rolex Submariner...
I already knew those examples. It's simply the same thing that Meizu did.

Old 05-07-2007, 12:19 PM

Does anyone know if the Music Card (M3) Supports DRM10?
no windows boxes...
manny

I meant MSC, my bad :P

Sent Meizu an email, they responded...it's supported.

looking forward to getting one

Old 05-08-2007, 05:41 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_manny View Post
looking forward to getting one
Can I ask what it is about the Music Card that influenced you to get one?

Old 05-08-2007, 11:25 AM

I've always liked the designs of the Meizu players.

Windows is not an option for me (Linux OS), which is why I'm interested in MSC support.

I recently gave my 6GB Sansa to my daughter, and the 8GB Music Card looks like a nice upgrade

Reasons for my Interest in the Music Card (not in any specific order):
Codec support
Battery life
MSC support
Design
Price

Old 06-20-2007, 08:56 AM

Hi all.

Nice forum. As my name says, I'm a bit Meizu fan ^^

I have the Meizu Music Card. I just love it. Better than iPod Nano by far.

Why do I like my Music Card?
-Awesome sound.
-Very nice GUI, I can change the theme and backround.
-Awesome "scrolling button"
-The player looks very nice, so much better than iPod Nano Gen 2.
-Good battery, charges fast too.
-Cheap!
-I don't need iTunes!
-It does play video, well it is a bit cool for watching music videos.
-Tiny.
-It's not a iPod lol.
-Plays many formats, like FLAC.

My M3 is the best DAP I'v had. I might get the M6SE(a M6 that is 7mm thin, plays more video formats and 30fps) later.

Old 06-26-2007, 10:24 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
The M6 also looked like an iPod... that's just the way Meizu does it... they dont have the most creative designer team, it seems. I don't like touch controls at all, but the technical specs of Meizu are more or less on par with Cowon/iAudio, so they deliver a lot more than most competitors. I'll try to ignore the design if the specs are right, in this case.

BTW, this player looks more like a ZV:M turned flash player, IMO.
Hello, dfkt.

I bought both Meizu M6 (white one) and M3 (black one) in 8GB capacity, and have been using them for a few weeks. I can confirm that they do deliver the goods in sound quality department.

The bass in both is awesome (M6 bass is more "in your face" than M3), when compared to the bass of my Creative players (including the ZV:M), and the 10-band EQ is very accurate. The bass and treble boosters are very good too, enhancing the lows and highs without causing distortion. The soundstage is great, and it goes really loud if you want; when listening to them using my CK7s, I can't get past volume level 22 (of 40). I don't care about the sound effects, since they don't work for all types of music.

The firmware still needs some work, though. There's a playback problem that affects live albums and DJ sets: it loops the last bit (half-second, I guess) of the current track before jumping to the next one -- it's annoying. I hope they'll fix this problem in the next firmware release. There's also a movie playback problem that makes the audio and video lose sync when you fast-forward (it happens mostly when you have the bitrate of audio higher than 128kbits/s).

Despite those annyoances, I'm very pleased with both players. The build quality is very good: I don't feel they're going to break like cheap DAPs from China, neither I hear of feel any lose parts inside them. The protective skin applied over the front and back surfaces stands normal wear and tear very well. The headphone jack, particularly, seems to be very robust, since the plug fit is tight: you can't swing the plug, like happens with the Zen Micro, for example (anyone remember the "headphone jack nightmare"?)

Edit: the M3 doesn't have a protective film covering the back plate. That's a minor issue, since there are cases available and some people are selling custom protective skins for this player on eBay too (you can even send in your own artwork for the skins ). I'm getting one for my M6; I'll post some pics once I get it applied.

Last edited by Almoxil; 06-27-2007 at 03:53 PM.

Old 06-27-2007, 06:06 PM

That was very good info Almoxil. I have a few more questions regarding the bass and sound quality.

1) I am a bass freak. The M6 was said to have had very good sound and was really good for bass and low ends. It also had bass boosting and effects such as TruBass and WOW. However, I seem to have read that the new firmwares may have removed some of that? (but I think I may have got confused and not following it properly). Do you know about that? Could you clarify whether the latest firmware on these players still gives excellent bass and boosting and effects?

2) Do you know the names of the audio processors/chips that the M6 and M3 have? I think they are Samsung? but I want to know the exact name of the chips/processors.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almoxil View Post
Hello, dfkt.

I bought both Meizu M6 (white one) and M3 (black one) in 8GB capacity, and have been using them for a few weeks. I can confirm that they do deliver the goods in sound quality department.

The bass in both is awesome (M6 bass is more "in your face" than M3), when compared to the bass of my Creative players (including the ZV:M), and the 10-band EQ is very accurate. The bass and treble boosters are very good too, enhancing the lows and highs without causing distortion. The soundstage is great, and it goes really loud if you want; when listening to them using my CK7s, I can't get past volume level 22 (of 40). I don't care about the sound effects, since they don't work for all types of music.

The firmware still needs some work, though. There's a playback problem that affects live albums and DJ sets: it loops the last bit (half-second, I guess) of the current track before jumping to the next one -- it's annoying. I hope they'll fix this problem in the next firmware release. There's also a movie playback problem that makes the audio and video lose sync when you fast-forward (it happens mostly when you have the bitrate of audio higher than 128kbits/s).

Despite those annyoances, I'm very pleased with both players. The build quality is very good: I don't feel they're going to break like cheap DAPs from China, neither I hear of feel any lose parts inside them. The protective skin applied over the front and back surfaces stands normal wear and tear very well. The headphone jack, particularly, seems to be very robust, since the plug fit is tight: you can't swing the plug, like happens with the Zen Micro, for example (anyone remember the "headphone jack nightmare"?)

Edit: the M3 doesn't have a protective film covering the back plate. That's a minor issue, since there are cases available and some people are selling custom protective skins for this player on eBay too (you can even send in your own artwork for the skins ). I'm getting one for my M6; I'll post some pics once I get it applied.

Old 06-27-2007, 08:36 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Hello, bobqll.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobqll View Post
That was very good info Almoxil. I have a few more questions regarding the bass and sound quality.

1) I am a bass freak. The M6 was said to have had very good sound and was really good for bass and low ends. It also had bass boosting and effects such as TruBass and WOW. However, I seem to have read that the new firmwares may have removed some of that? (but I think I may have got confused and not following it properly). Do you know about that? Could you clarify whether the latest firmware on these players still gives excellent bass and boosting and effects?
The bass on both players (M6 and M3) is awesome, IMHO. Truly speaking, I rediscovered my ATH-CK7s with those players. I've never listened to a so great bass from those IEMs before. And they're believed to have a "so-so" bass. Not when paired with that machines, I can tell.

That said, bass on M6 is more pronouced than M3. The latest firmwares for both players removed SRS WOW effects as far as I know. The effects offered by the current firmware are a Spatializer setting (it seems to enhance the soundstage), a PCE (Phase Corrected Equalizer) setting, ViBE (Virtual Bass Enhancer) and some extra adjustments for the kind of headphone you're using. I can't tell you a lot about these enhancements since I'm not a fan of them. They usually make the music sound artificial, in my opinion. Of course they can be useful when used correctly, but not every kind of music will benefit from them.

From the short experience I've had with them, I can tell you that you'll be able to fully enjoy the rich sound of M3/M6 without having to use those effects. The EQ is very good and is more than enough to create a sound signature to suit your liking (and every preset is customizable). Personally, I created a user-defined EQ and adjusted bass booster and treble booster to low values. By the way, the bass and treble booster are very good too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobqll View Post
2) Do you know the names of the audio processors/chips that the M6 and M3 have? I think they are Samsung? but I want to know the exact name of the chips/processors.

Thanks.
Here is the most complete info I could find about M6 hardware. Couldn't find info on the M3, though.

Best regards!